Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2013 Discussion Thread

Bills name Thad Lewis as next week's starter. Has a chance to immediately become the second most successful Cutcliffe product in the NFL this season.

Can someone help to explain this?

- Duke is the 20th worst team in college football in points allowed in the first half, yiedling 19.7 points per first half. In the last three weeks, they have yielded 21, 7 (but with a lot of yards) and 22.
- Duke is the 18th best team in college football in points allowed in the second half, yiedling just 8.7 points per second half. In the last three weeks they have yielded 10, 0 and 0.

Is it (a) awful advance scouting and practice preparation, (b) brilliant halftime adjustments, (c) incredibly good conditioning/stamina, (d) overconfident offenses thinking they can coast in the second half, (e) life-changing motivational guest speakers at halftime or (f) something else?

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
Can someone help to explain this?

- Duke is the 20th worst team in college football in points allowed in the first half, yiedling 19.7 points per first half. In the last three weeks, they have yielded 21, 7 (but with a lot of yards) and 22.
- Duke is the 18th best team in college football in points allowed in the second half, yiedling just 8.7 points per second half. In the last three weeks they have yielded 10, 0 and 0.

Is it (a) awful advance scouting and practice preparation, (b) brilliant halftime adjustments, (c) incredibly good conditioning/stamina, (d) overconfident offenses thinking they can coast in the second half, (e) life-changing motivational guest speakers at halftime or (f) something else?

We like to fuck with people. Let 'em hang on before giving them the Lance Armstrong 'look-back' and blowing them out.

Really don't want to be going into the WF and UNC games with 5 wins. WF has a bye before Duke and UNC essentially has a bye with a FCS team.

The NC State game comes at the perfect time for Duke. Duke coming off a bye, and NC State coming off the inevitable let down of UNC game week.

Please get through VT with limited injuries.

This week is the 6th (1 in '03, 4 in '08) of the 1,207 weeks in my life that Duke and the Panthers are both over .500. That's about .005%.

As important as 2012 was to Duke football, the win over VPI on the road is more important, IMO. The same analogy that we joke about with 5 star basketball players riding the pine at Duke versus being a star at Stanford can be reversed now with football. All the recruits on the fence about Duke know they can be a part of something remarkable now. By contrast, going to play hoops at Stanford won't get you in the tourney, but going to play football at Duke can get you to a bowl.

dukeberto said:
I think UNC will be properly motivated to play us in their house after last season. I think 50-50 for either them or VT is very optimistic, although I'd consider moving V Tech into the "possibly winnable" category if we were playing them at WW.

I would agree with you about VaTech if it was going to be a Thursday or night game at Lane Stadium. Marshall went in there this past weekend and only lost in 3OT. The sell-out streak ended earlier this season. I just don't see VaTech fans coming out in droves to watch a so-so VaTech team struggle against what most believe to be a **** Duke team. If there is inclement weather, all the better for Duke. Not saying we are going to win, but I do think they are beatable this year, home or away.

As to UNC, you are correct that they will be properly motivated, but you can just never tell in this series. Although we have been thoroughly dominated in the last 20 years, the talent level has always been in UNC's favorite, but we've always played them close. We finally made the breakthrough last year, hopefully we can build on that this year. They don't have Gio this year to run rampant. I do worry about the Renner-Ebron connection, given our ineptitude at covering TEs so far this season.

STPFS = faithless idiot

Dukeberto = Nostradamus

dukeberto said:
I think UNC will be properly motivated to play us in their house after last season. I think 50-50 for either them or VT is very optimistic, although I'd consider moving V Tech into the "possibly winnable" category if we were playing them at WW.

I would agree with you about VaTech if it was going to be a Thursday or night game at Lane Stadium. Marshall went in there this past weekend and only lost in 3OT. The sell-out streak ended earlier this season. I just don't see VaTech fans coming out in droves to watch a so-so VaTech team struggle against what most believe to be a **** Duke team. If there is inclement weather, all the better for Duke. Not saying we are going to win, but I do think they are beatable this year, home or away.

As to UNC, you are correct that they will be properly motivated, but you can just never tell in this series. Although we have been thoroughly dominated in the last 20 years, the talent level has always been in UNC's favorite, but we've always played them close. We finally made the breakthrough last year, hopefully we can build on that this year. They don't have Gio this year to run rampant. I do worry about the Renner-Ebron connection, given our ineptitude at covering TEs so far this season.

STPFS = faithless idiot

Dukeberto = Nostradamus

dukeberto said:

STPFS = faithless idiot

Dukeberto = Nostradamus

College Sports Madness - Duke vs. Auburn Music City

Please, no.

aiw said:
College Sports Madness - Duke vs. Auburn Music City

Please, no.

Shoot me.

Really a no win situation for either team. Auburn would smash Duke and then get negatively recruited against for playing Duke in a bowl game.

Oh, no

CBS/Palm: Duke vs. Notre Dame in Independence
College Football News/Scout: Duke vs. USC in Sun

The problem with winning games is that we have to play good teams now in the bowl game. I think we beat USC though, hopefully not in El Paso.

Aren't we playing with house money now? You gotta feel like being favored by so much against NCSU was a bit weird for this team. Going back to being expected to lose should be good for this squad.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back