Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2014-15 Discussion

dukeberto

All American
Bookie
A very early look at the 2014 team as Duke Football attempts to return to the glory of 2013.

Re: Duke Football 2014 Discussion

Bold Prediction: Every position group improves next season. Yes we lose 3 DL starters but there will still be 3 RS seniors starting

Underrated Loss: Pass blocking of Thompson and Duncan.

Biggest Improvement: Receiver play.

I rate our DL in this order from 2013:

Anunike
Woodruff
Johnson
Foxx
JDO

Don't think the DL will step back that much honestly. Plus, Petri is an amazing coach. Think the secondary takes the biggest step forward. Although they made great, opportune plays, they were pretty bad.

No Bruce? I agree if you're talking DE.

I think Bruce and Wray will actually be a pretty solid inside starting tandem. For a 20 year-old kid who's gained 45 pounds in the last 2 years, I've been pretty impressed with Wray. I think he'll be a decent ACC lineman his last two years.

Who do you all think starts on the ends? I'm a huge fan of both Woodruff and DJO, but they're more speed rushers than anything else. Are they every down guys? Dez Johnson is solid, but doesn't necessarily have the athletic upside they have.

I wonder if the coaches are planning on moving Raynor to DE. If not, I wish they would, more for 2015 than anything else. Who else do we have on the DL depth chart besides Wolf, and maybe Wallace, Marshall or Sanders? I'm blanking right now. Maybe Shabazz plays as a freshman?

Bruce was our best DL all season imo. He drew double teams.

I think you'll see Dez Johnson, JDO and Woody function as essentially 3 starters.

I'm not optimistic about Wallace coming back. He was still on crutches when I saw him in ATL.

So that leaves some wild cards in Grier, Allen Jackson, Sanders (who I think moves back to DE) and Mann as the next guys up. No one on that list has the striking physical presence that Foxx and Annunike had, but it's not to say that these guys can't make strides. We've just literally seen none of them play DE in a game for any meaningful snaps.

Oops, I was specifically talking about DEs and I should have said as much.

I think we rotate Dez, JDO, and Woodruff as the starters too. Woodruff looked like more of a run stuffer to me. Johnson has that excellent frame, he just needs to develop his shedding skills.

I wonder if we're going to try moving Raynor to DE or something. Seems like a more natural fit, and it's a bigger need going forward.

I'd also be curious to see what a bulked up Kyler Brown would look like at DE. He's always seemed like he'd make more sense as a DE than a LB to me, honestly.

Pantone287 said:
I wonder if we're going to try moving Raynor to DE or something. Seems like a more natural fit, and it's a bigger need going forward.

I'd also be curious to see what a bulked up Kyler Brown would look like at DE. He's always seemed like he'd make more sense as a DE than a LB to me, honestly.

I've been thinking that using Raynor as a flex DE/DT could be useful. You always need one guy who can play both positions. Think of Al Wallace back in the day for the Panthers. If we get this Cerenord guy from Florida then I would trust our depth enough to move Raynor outside full time.

That's ginormous. National TV, not getting buried behind all the other rivalry games. Damn.

Thursday night rivalry game it is.

2 open dates, finish with 3 straight home games.

Last edited by a moderator:

9-3

Back-to-back @ Pitt @ Syracuse. Reverse of the basketball team.

That 2nd open date sucks.

aiw said:

Good enough to retain division? I don't keep up with the other teams to know where they stand for next season.

9-3 overall would probably mean 5-3 in conference. It's happened before, but I'd doubt that it wins the division.

Not liking the divisional schedules, it's fucking boring to play the same teams every year. But not playing Clemson and FSU is ok.

Don't teams normally get a bye before the Thursday game? I assume UNC has like 3 weeks off.

DrKlahn said:
Don't teams normally get a bye before the Thursday game? I assume UNC has like 3 weeks off.
They host Pitt while we host VT on the 15th.

Hate the second bye being just two weeks after our first.

I see us with a floor of winning 8 games (4 OOC, Wake, UVA, Pitt, and Cuse) Ceiling of going undefeated.

The only team that should be better than they were last year is UNC, but we all know they have a history of underwhelming in the ACC.
Miami and VaTech will be breaking in new players at key positions.
Cuse was not very good last year.
Pitt is losing their best defensive player, although their WRs still scare me a bit.
GaTech will be breaking in a new QB, and who knows whether Paul Johnson will be there the whole year, or if the administration mails it in with him.

Only complaint is the scheduling of the second bye.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back