Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Virginia at Duke, Oct. 18, 12:30pm, ACCN/ESPN3

DrKlahn

All American
virgina-lacrosse.jpg

Virginia is the ACC's surprise team I guess, with a 2-0 record thanks to wins over Louisville and Pitt. They're 4-2 overall, and the losses were hardly embarrassing.

Looks like a case of the sum being better than the parts or whatever. No one unit stands out. They're 57th in PPG, 47th in PPG against. Nominally they're a running team but their leading rusher has fewer yards than Shaun Wilson in over twice the carries.

Not clear who they'll have at QB--the starter got hurt a few weeks ago and missed the last two games. They've done just fine with the backup.

Sagarin says they're the 52nd best team in the country. College football reference says they're the 36th best. One AP voter says they're the 25th best.

This is an ACC series that Duke actually leads, 31-30. Wilson/Goldsmith/Franks/Roof went a combined 2-16 against them, which is unsurprising. But David Cutcliffe is 5-1, including 3-0 at home.

Also, Virginia has not won an NCAA men's lacrosse championship since 2011.

I opened up this thread and legit lol'ed at the lax pic. Well done.

As to the Cav's football team, it seems that they have been getting by playing solid defense. I think this is a result of the team winning off of talent rather than because of coaching - kind of like old Roy william's teams and post 2010 K-teams. The great thing about UVA's surprise run is that Copper London is not on the hot seat anymore, keeping one more terrible coach in the ACC longer than he needs to be here.

I hope that the homecoming crowd is decent. Should be at least 30K people there - let's hope more than 50% are Duke fans.

That was great. They have the bendiest-but-not-breakiest defense around.

Something deeply satisfying about wrapping up bowl eligibility this early plus the added bonus of jumping right back into the division picture. I was at the State Fair all day, but WatchESPN came through for me. As luck would have it, I was right next to a UNC-clad family and a few other State-clad folks when Sirk completed the winning TD pass. Needless to say, they weren't altogether impressed by my yelps of joy, but oh well.

It's so weird how much has changed since Cutcliffe arrived, I'm not even surprised now when Duke wins. I know the defense gives up a lot of yards but man they make the tackle the first opportunity better than any team I've seen, it's just incredible how consistent they are at that.

Keep on winning Devils.

I actually have reached a point where I am not surprised when Duke wins because I expect Duke to win.

Edit: I was drunk

I was wondering what happened to DukeFBvideo on YouTube. Turns out they're still posting their videos on Vimeo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30