Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke at Syracuse, Nov. 8, 12:30, Carrier Dome (TV: ACCN)

DrKlahn

All American
large_Syracuse%20Media%20Day%20Football.JPG

AUGUST 2009: The happy man you see pictured here has just been named the starting quarterback at Syracuse. He's thrilled to be returning to his hometown, back to the site of his greatest sporting triumph, where he won the 2004 New York State football championship by outdueling the universally beloved Ray Rice. He's thrilled to be back to football, a sport where hitting a quarterback in the face with your nuts would probably get you a 15-yard penalty. His previous college did not even offer football at the varsity level, so he had to play the lower revenue sport of basketball instead. But he used the time there well. While his coaches were busy recruiting the Next Big Thing--Harrison Barnes--he filled the void by teaching the game of basketball to young men like Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek, even giving up his spot in the lineup so that they could learn more by doing. And that's the real reason he's so happy--he knows something special is about to happen, something that not even the wise Ken Pomeroy would realize for another couple of months. And he knows it will be all because of him.

Discuss the upcoming football game here.

We only have Miami and Georgia Tech to worry about now in terms of Duke getting to the ACC Championship Game. We can start thinking about Duke competing with Clemson for the ACC's spot in the Orange Bowl if Florida State gets into the playoffs. Assuming nothing ridiculous happens (e.g., Louisville getting through its extremely difficult remaining schedule to challenge for the Orange Bowl spot, or Clemson losing to Wake Forest or Georgia State), these are all the relevant future games from an ACC perspective for Duke:

This Week
Duke (-3.5) at Syracuse
Georgia Tech (-5.5) at NC State

Next Week
Virginia Tech at Duke (-6)
Florida State (-2.5) at Miami
Clemson (-4.5) at Georgia Tech

Two Weeks
North Carolina at Duke (-10.5)
Miami (-5.5) at Virginia

Final Week
South Carolina at Clemson (-11.5)
Pittsburgh at Miami (-14)
Wake Forest at Duke (-22.5)

If Duke takes care of its own business and Florida State goes undefeated, we will be rooting hard for Steve Spurrier to virtually guarantee Duke a spot in the Orange Bowl by beating Clemson in the final week. There must be some irony there but I'm not old enough to know it off the top of my head.

If surging Miami beats struggling Florida State as slight home underdogs, which everyone expects to happen, Duke is quite frankly fucked in every way. No Orange Bowl unless they can beat Florida State. No ACC Championship Game unless they run the table (probably). Florida State at Miami is the biggest remaining game for Duke.

Surprised at the initial line for Duke/Syracuse. Did Syracuse lost at home to NCSU yesterday or was that some weird dream I had?

Also, IMO Miami is playing the best football in the conference right now. Having FSU come to town right now is a true measure of both teams.

Conventional wisdom says jumpshooting teams like Duke struggle in domes. That's probably why the line is so close.

That's not the actual line, it isn't out yet. That's the Sagarin line and I would expect it to be Duke by 2-4 points. Syracuse hasn't been totally and utterly blown out by the really good teams it has played. Blown out but at least showed up. That's what props them up on computers.

I don't mean to piss on our parade, but I just looked, and we've been outgained by over 100 yards in each of our four ACC games this year. Kind of amazing that we're 7-1, 3-1. I get why we're only a FG favorite against a crappy Syracuse team. If we win, I'd expect it to be by a td or less.

Syracuse is apparently down to its third string QB for this game. Looking at the stats, I'm not sure that should change anyone's projections.

The line has been taken down at several books at this point.

It was at Duke -4 when I bought in. Have to believe Duke may now be a two-score favorite?

Jeez, he's that much worse than a freshman with a 55% completion rate and a 4/6 TD to INT?

Duke football continues to have nothing but good luck. It's like Kelby Brown absorbed all the bad luck for the entire season for the benefit of the team overall.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Duke football continues to have nothing but good luck. It's like Kelby Brown absorbed all the bad luck for the entire season for the benefit of the team overall.

He's a true hero

Bob Harris is just getting worse. In the car after the Duke game, Crowder just ran it back. Syracuse 4th down. He was so non-chalant. It was like the fake punt was a normal play. "Fake punt. He gets back to the line of scrimmage. Turnover on down." No emotion. Like he didn't realize that play won the game for Duke.

On the trip home Boone had 10 more passes deflected at the line of scrimmage.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back