Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Travel

Topher said:
So I'm thinking of taking the wife on a trip for our 5th anniversary this year. Does anyone have experience booking flights + hotels together that would recommend a site or travel company? I'm trying to limit how much I pay in extra fees at booking because I like to use my money for fun things. Any suggestions out there?

Probably worth signing up for a site like https://scottscheapflights.com/ as well if you're not in a huge rush to book and/or don't have a firm destination in mind. They have some tempting stuff on there sometimes.

aiw said:
Very nice hotel. Just across the street from the convention center and Petco Park. In the Gaslamp area, which is great. Highly recommend.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/califo ... index.html
Just saw this, but second the Gaslamp Hilton. Stayed there for about a week earlier this year. For food and restaurants just walk east/north from there. No shortage of good stuff, even if that is the more touristy area. Honestly never went to the Gaslamp when I lived in SD. Stone Bistro in Liberty Station is pretty awesome and worth a short uber trip if you feel the need to get out of the area.

Consider renting an apartment rather than getting a hotel. I've done that in both London and Rome because three kids requires a wallet busting number of hotel rooms, but even as a couple there are some cool, smaller places that are probably cheaper than hotels in the bigger cities. We used http://www.italyperfect.com/?gclid=CJXb7p2PkdQCFRCBswodhRQLvw and had a great experience in Rome. Went through friends for London, but any decent travel agency ought to be able to refer you to a reputable broker.

Edit: for Topher

bfactor said:
aiw said:
Very nice hotel. Just across the street from the convention center and Petco Park. In the Gaslamp area, which is great. Highly recommend.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/califo ... index.html
Just saw this, but second the Gaslamp Hilton. Stayed there for about a week earlier this year. For food and restaurants just walk east/north from there. No shortage of good stuff, even if that is the more touristy area. Honestly never went to the Gaslamp when I lived in SD. Stone Bistro in Liberty Station is pretty awesome and worth a short uber trip if you feel the need to get out of the area.

Stone is worth it. They told us it was the biggest restaurant in California. Of course, great beer there. Also in the same complex as Slater 50/50.

Is Laurel still open? A great friend of mine was the executive chef there for a while. It was incredible.

Is the US too spread out to have a viable national high speed rail? It's awesome. Went to Lille for a day trip and it took an hour. Would have taken Amtrak 3 hours outside the acela. We should have more regional high speed rail if transcontinental is too crazy. More comfortable and cheaper than flying, though infrastructure in America now likely makes it untenable now financially. This country missed an opportunity.

I think that was one of Trump’s desires for America that everyone on both sides liked, but it got overshadowed by all of his other terrible ideas, which will also not happen. Would create tons of middle class and lower class jobs and put something very useful in place for generations. Instead, Wall.

Obama offered Florida high speed rail contract on the I4 corridor. Supported by Orlando mayor, Tampa mayor, all county general assemblies, etc. Rick Scott said no, afraid of "cost overruns" falling on the State. Then all parties, from Fed, GC, and all local authorities guaranteed any potential cost overruns. Scott said no because Obama. Project ended up in Republic of California instead.

Obama offered Florida high speed rail contract on the I4 corridor. Supported by Orlando mayor, Tampa mayor, all county general assemblies, etc. Rick Scott said no, afraid of "cost overruns" falling on the State. Then all parties, from Fed, GC, and all local authorities guaranteed any potential cost overruns. Scott said no because Obama. Project ended up in Republic of California instead.

Wow. This is the high speed rail project that goes down to Miami? We have some friends in Ft Lauderdale/Miami area and I remember them talking about it. I thought it was just between Miami & Orlando (not Tampa).

We need high speed rail between Toronto and Montreal.

Bob Harris was on my flight today. He was wearing a Houston Astros World Series sweatshirt that was about 2 sizes too large.

Anyone been to the Dalmatian coast? Looks and sounds pretty awesome, but not quite part of the beaten path yet. Advice sought.

I was able to get to Croatia about ten years ago and it was fantastic. Zagreb was nice, Dubrovnik was stunningly beautiful and there are a lot of islands off the coast easily accessible by ferry. You won't regret it.

Leaving for London next week. Going to an Arsenal game on Saturday and dinner in the Harry Potter great hall on Wednesday.

Lies

timthumb.php

Wife and I are heading out to SF in early April. Would love suggestions if you have any. Deciding between Quince or Saison and will prob use a full day to go to Napa or Sonoma

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back