Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Books

i will never understand how those books were such a phenomenon. i read one as a kid and hated it.
I loved them, but the first couple are pretty weak. Very "monster of the week." It felt like she was originally trying to launch one of those infinite series like Encyclopedia Brown/Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys, where there was a template she could keep repeating forever.

The opening for the first book has some very clever writing in that tradition of British irony of Jane Austen. But then they kind of suck until the 3rd book. The second book is especially bad. Granted, the fourth also is a bit of a waste.

5-7 are amazing.

@rome8180 Do you have any advice for writing dialogue? I'm working on a creative writing project, with over a dozen or so characters, and I feel like all of their "voices" sound the same. Is there a trick to this to bring out unique voices to better distinguish characters?

@rome8180 Do you have any advice for writing dialogue? I'm working on a creative writing project, with over a dozen or so characters, and I feel like all of their "voices" sound the same. Is there a trick to this to bring out unique voices to better distinguish characters?
This is a long subject and it might take me a bit to formulate my thoughts. But I saw the post and am thinking about it.

What era is the narrative set in? And how are the people connected?

This is a long subject and it might take me a bit to formulate my thoughts. But I saw the post and am thinking about it.

What era is the narrative set in? And how are the people connected?

Broad summation is five main characters, a found family so to speak, and how their lives are fractured by war. Thinking 1970/1980s cold war era.

The idea is to set an opening act that leads into five character vignettes with distinct personalities.

I read Blood Meridian years ago and recently started listening to the audiobook version. Doing some poking around online, I found out they're going to attempt a movie version.

Blood Meridian

I've read a few statements about how difficult it will be to cast the Judge but the obvious answer for me is Vincent D'Onofrio.

Yeah, don't overthink it or try to get too cute. Like, for example, The Dark Tower should have just been Timothy Olyphant (or if it had been done 10 years earlier, Viggo Mortensen).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back