Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eternal Feats of Strength Thread

Hi Farmdog

I am at a very intermediate level. Yes, the grading was for a belt; I now have a stripe on my green belt. If I stop treating my body as a waste disposal device, I can probably upgrade my belt to blue in 2023.

I train at a (new) small club; we are members of the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Council.

I also practice Kung Fu, but that is with a different sensei.

As I've alluded to in other posts, I'm not very good at sports. I really like playing basketball in rec league but I've been practicing martial arts primarily for mental health reasons.

Hi Farmdog

I am at a very intermediate level. Yes, the grading was for a belt; I now have a stripe on my green belt. If I stop treating my body as a waste disposal device, I can probably upgrade my belt to blue in 2023.

I train at a (new) small club; we are members of the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Council.

I also practice Kung Fu, but that is with a different sensei.

As I've alluded to in other posts, I'm not very good at sports. I really like playing basketball in rec league but I've been practicing martial arts primarily for mental health reasons.
I took the blue belt test in June, pretty brutal.

It's funny, I still consider myself a beginner. Jiu-jitsu is one of those things where the more you learn, you realize you don't know anything.

Back to bragging on myself.

I was an avid tennis player back in the wooden racquet era. I would hit thousands and thousands of balls against the backboard at the prep school that a lived next door to. Then, at about 14 or 15, I just quit playing. I played a few times in college with friends, and was pretty mediocre.

My wife, who has never played tennis until 6 months ago, joined a program here in Dare County called Try Tennis. In addition to a really great opportunity for her to shop for cute tennis outfits, she got pretty decent really quickly. Along the way, I decided to start hitting with her to "help" her get better.

Then, I started going to some clinics, and I ended up hitting with one of the local pros, who I was actually beating when I tweeked my hammy.

So, after healing up, I started playing this Monday night doubles league. I have never, ever played doubles in my life, and I got completely fucking destroyed the first time I played the league, to the point where one of the guys suggested I play the Tuesday night league, which is lesser caliber players.

Well, that pissed me off. So, rented a ball machine and went to work.

The next Monday, I played better and got some games off some people, but didn't win a set.

The Monday after, I held all my service games, but still didn't win a set.

Last week, finally won a set, and lost a set in a tiebreaker.

Tonight, made it all the way to court 1, and stayed there.

I still have a long way to go with my consistency, but I can definitely hang with the big boys now.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back