Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2014-15 Discussion

Duke's first ACC game, at Miami, is projected to be the de facto Coastal championship game.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol at the obviously biased VT writer that voted for Motley and VT to win POY and the ACC championship.

Good article by Keeley on Laken Tomlinson, the first Scott Bracey who really got all of this started IMO
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/28/ ... tball.html

Mel Kiper Jr. has him rated as the fourth-best senior offensive guard. Other sites have him as high as the second-best guard available. "It would mean a lot to my school, and I know that’s a big deal," Tomlinson said of his draft potential. "I came here to play football. Whatever is the result of that, that’s awesome. I came here to represent my school, and I also came here to be a student and get a degree. That’s what I want to do, and I’m doing it right now." A [sic] evolutionary anthropology and psychology double major, Tomlinson also plans to take the MCAT this spring and set himself up for a future stint in medical school.

Picked Duke over Ohio State and maxed out his Duke life. I think Duke med school would accept him with a 20 MCAT score or higher plus a 3.0 GPA or higher, so he will have a top 5 med school option even if something nasty happens to his playing career.

IC is saying that UNC is losing two Defensive Lineman on the 2 deep to academic suspension.

Rollins said:
IC is saying that UNC is losing two Defensive Lineman on the 2 deep to academic suspension.

First academic causalities ever?

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

It's understandable that we wouldn't get votes in a pre-season poll. It can be excused with "2013 was a fluke." Likewise, I don't expect to be ranked in the AP poll when it comes out in a few days, although I do hope we will be in the others receiving votes category. If we had beaten TAMU in the bowl game, I would feel differently, but we didn't.

Unfortunately, our schedule is set up in such a way that it will be very difficult for us to climb into the poll until at least the fifth week of the season after we play Miami. Accordingly, I don't see us being ranked until late in the season and only if we are 7- or 8-1.

Of course, UNC being ranked in the coaches poll should surprise no one. Why should the fact that they have lost 14 eligible players this off-season contribute to anything. Or the fact that they started out 1-5 last season. Or the fact that they have no defensive linemen and their OL was a question mark going into the pre-season. Carolina could easily (likely?) be 3-7 by the time our Thursday night game arrives.

55066258-700x700.png

DO WANT!

dukeberto said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

It's understandable that we wouldn't get votes in a pre-season poll. It can be excused with "2013 was a fluke." Likewise, I don't expect to be ranked in the AP poll when it comes out in a few days, although I do hope we will be in the others receiving votes category. If we had beaten TAMU in the bowl game, I would feel differently, but we didn't.

Unfortunately, our schedule is set up in such a way that it will be very difficult for us to climb into the poll until at least the fifth week of the season after we play Miami. Accordingly, I don't see us being ranked until late in the season and only if we are 7- or 8-1.

Of course, UNC being ranked in the coaches poll should surprise no one. Why should the fact that they have lost 14 eligible players this off-season contribute to anything. Or the fact that they started out 1-5 last season. Or the fact that they have no defensive linemen and their OL was a question mark going into the pre-season. Carolina could easily (likely?) be 3-7 by the time our Thursday night game arrives.

If we're in the 26 to 30 range and teams around us start to lose early season games, as long as we look reasonably good, we might be able to be ranked prior to the Miami game. Lot of contingencies there but I think our road to being ranked is less burdensome than you think even factoring in the "2013 Duke was a fluke" notion, which I'm sure exists in many minds.

I'm seeing these projected lines for Duke in each game:

Elon -39
@Troy -11.5
Kansas -15
Tulane -21
@Miami +7.5
@Georgia Tech +7.5
Virginia -9.5
@Pittsburgh +3.5
@Syracuse +3
Virginia Tech +2.5
North Carolina +3
Wake Forest -11

Over/under on wins is 8.5. Based on the individual lines, the projected win total is 7.61. I think they get 8.

Yeah, I would think losses @Miami and @GT, and then losses in two of the four games in the stretch that begins with @Pitt and ends with UNC. That latter stretch is the key. Need to not go 0-2 against Pitt and Cuse.

We could be double digit favorites in half of our games and then underdogs in the other half of them if the UVA line creeps up a half a point and everything else stays as it is here. Kind of weird. I think of the four non-conference opponents, Troy has lost the most from last year, which is good since they're the road game and their guys gave us trouble last year.

Just saw that, god damnit. Hope he's ok but anytime they say knee injury, I immediately translate that to done for season.

I can only hope that he takes a page out of Anunike's book and petition for the sixth year, but you also have to wonder if he may be done mentally and physically. I don't think he will play in the NFL so he may be ready to hang em up.

We don't have very good depth.

There were a lot of misses in the 2 recruiting classes after Boone and Laken's class.

I think the defenses ability to be consistently good and occasionally great dropped to consistently decent after KB's injury.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back