Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke at Miami - Sat 9/27 7:30pm ET ESPN2

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
5472331988cf474867db46496a2dec6d3faac450.jpg

Miami looked bad against the two real opponents they played, but both were on the road (at Louisville, at Nebraska).
Duke came close to expectations or obliterated them in each game they played, but it was probably the worst schedule you could possibly create.
Hard to get a read on what should happen in this game. Duke should be anything from 1 to 10 point underdogs.

Duke up to 23 in Coaches poll. I expect to be in the 22-25 range in the AP poll when it comes out

dukeberto said:
Duke up to 23 in Coaches poll. I expect to be in the 22-25 range in the AP poll when it comes out
#26.

And I guess SeanMayTriedToEatMe is the only one allowed to start game threads? Just making sure for future reference.

We go with this until the mojo runs out, dkst. That will likely be this week, so you take the reigns after that.

Open as a 5.5 dog, already been bet up to 4.5. Will be interesting to see the movement throughout the week

Looks like this opened at 6 at some places and has moved to 3.5-4 everywhere. This is nice. Duke football is considered to be equal to Miami football on a neutral field now. A lot of it is still coaching and not talent, but the talent gap should continue to close. Duke is currently less than a point behind Miami and VT on Sagarin Predictor and significantly ahead of everyone else in the Coastal, even GT. Duke is close to actually being the best football program in the Coastal. Until they get blown out on Saturday.

Duke has played the 190th strongest schedule in the country, including FCS teams. The only FBS team that has played an easier schedule than Duke is Air Force. Duke's strongest opponent was Kansas.

Sagarin considers every team in the Coastal to be between 41 (Duke) and 62 (Virginia) nationally.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Duke has played the 190th strongest schedule in the country, including FCS teams. The only FBS team that has played an easier schedule than Duke is Air Force. Duke's strongest opponent was Kansas.

Wow. But I like starting 4-0 so I hope we do this every year.

I have no read on this game.

The two things I think will matter most are Boone's accuracy and Miami's swagger.

I know we would lose if this was basketball, but I trust our football program.

Projected spreads for the rest of the season:

@GT - GT by 3
UVA - Duke by 9
@Pitt - Pitt by 1
@Cuse - Cuse by 2
VT - Duke by 2.5
UNC - Duke by 6.5
Wake - Duke by 20.5

Apparently, Wake can barely field a team these days and Greg Paulus inspired Syracuse to become a relevant program again. I raised the GT line by 2 from what Sagarin says, since I don't think anyone is taking Duke at anything less than a 3-point underdog in that one. I lowered the VT and UNC lines by a half point each (significant with 3 and 7 being sticky numbers in football odds) due to the perceived talent gap.

UVA and Wake would get Duke to a bowl game even if those are the only games Duke can win. In the close calls (@Miami, @GT, @Pitt, @Cuse, VT), I would just hope for Duke to win 2 out of 5 (underdogs in 4 out of 5).

I can't process Duke as a touchdown favorite against UNC yet. It still doesn't feel like UNC should ever be an easy win for Duke football.

8-9 wins seems most likely, with 8 more likely than 9. 7 should be the floor. Undefeated is the ceiling. @Miami is the toughest game of the season.

It's possible Duke jumps into the top 15 on both polls if they win this game. If they lose badly, I would have no problem with everyone dropping Duke off their ballots entirely.

If you have VIP (yall prolly don't) then you can read all of it. Otherwise, the gist is Miami is well below average as a home favorite under Golden. Duke is great as road underdog.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Projected spreads for the rest of the season:

@GT - GT by 3
UVA - Duke by 9
@Pitt - Pitt by 1
@Cuse - Cuse by 2
VT - Duke by 2.5
UNC - Duke by 6.5
Wake - Duke by 20.5

Apparently, Wake can barely field a team these days and Greg Paulus inspired Syracuse to become a relevant program again. I raised the GT line by 2 from what Sagarin says, since I don't think anyone is taking Duke at anything less than a 3-point underdog in that one. I lowered the VT and UNC lines by a half point each (significant with 3 and 7 being sticky numbers in football odds) due to the perceived talent gap.

UVA and Wake would get Duke to a bowl game even if those are the only games Duke can win. In the close calls (@Miami, @GT, @Pitt, @Cuse, VT), I would just hope for Duke to win 2 out of 5 (underdogs in 4 out of 5).

I can't process Duke as a touchdown favorite against UNC yet. It still doesn't feel like UNC should ever be an easy win for Duke football.

8-9 wins seems most likely, with 8 more likely than 9. 7 should be the floor. Undefeated is the ceiling. @Miami is the toughest game of the season.

The UVA line seems high with the way they're playing this year. Tough games against ranked teams like UCLA and BYU and the win over L'ville. Maybe their talent, which has actually been pretty good under London (and was great this past year), is finally starting to click despite their horrible coach.

I am surprised we would be dogs against a Syracuse team that was blown out by MD and won by a point over Villanova.

I agree with the UVa points. They have played a legit schedule, and I would expect Duke to lode to this Uva team.

ETA and by "lode" I mean "lose"

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30