Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quarterbacks

Pantone287

Legend
Weigh in on the Duke QB controversy: Mackenzie Sovereign or Robert Collins?

Based on his handles with a clipboard, gotta go with Mack.

head: Renfree
heart: Boone

In re-watching the game there were some really bad throws by Boone, but his 3 long touchdown passes were beauties.

As much as I don't like saying this either, there is a different energy when Boone's on the field. Hard to concretely describe, but I think a lot of people noticed this.

100% agree about Boone. I think it's just the idea that we COULD break off a big play on any play with him in because of his ability with deep throws. He also can keep plays alive with his legs a lot more than Renfree does, and when he's flushed out of the pocket he still can make throws. Obviously sometimes that leads to some bad throws, but I think it's a lot better than watching Renfree always just sit down on the ground as soon as the pocket collapses. Nonetheless, I would be surprised if we Renfree didn't start next week against VT.

No doubt that Boone was visibly enjoying himself.

At the same time, VT now has a full game to game plan from.

bfactor said:
Anthony Boone has the conjunctivitis.

Of courrrrrse he does. Maybe it'll work in our favor if VT is full of germaphobes?

Cut said the QBs were splitting reps and he'd pick a starter later in the week. One thing I like about Boone compared to Renfree is how quickly he bounces on his toes when he's scanning the field. Renfree almost seems like he's standing on his heels sometimes.

However, I pretty much agree with Rollins' assessment... I think it's hard to give Renfree a fair shake when we just played our best game in a decade in Boone's first start, missed throws and all. Hopefully Sean is up to the challenge and steps his game up now that he's being pushed.

Pantone287 said:
Maybe it'll work in our favor if VT is full of germaphobes?
It's just part of our macho head games.

Only at Duke would there be a QB switch after the biggest win in years. lol.

I'm a lot more concerned with having the correct guy playing from UNC forward.

VT is going to be focused and I'm not really giving us a chance. Coming out uninjured would be a win IMO.

The docs have some pretty powerful meds for pink eye. There were lots of outbreaks while I was there that started on Sunday and were dealt with by Tuesday morning. That won't be an issue.

I think that we will start Renfree, but I think we may mix it up a bit by bringing in Boone for one or two series here and there. I'm not sure I like that but just think that is what's going to happen.

I liked what I saw in the few instances when they had Boone run the read-option out of shotgun, Oregon/Texas style (and about 50 other schools now). Cutcliffe would be doing his team a disservice if he doesn't sit down with some spread option coaches this offseason and get a new playbook ready for Boone. He's not Vince Young, but he's much closer to being an ideal spread option QB than to being Cutcliffe's classic pro-style guy (Peyton, Eli, Renfree).

I love the fact that Boone is a drop back passer, but can make plays with his legs as well. The fact that he is a threat really opens up the field and drastically improves the run game. I'd imagine Renfree is on a short leash.

Boone's stout, close to the ground, and quick.

He's ideal for the read-option.

I like the fact that both quarterbacks are good players and this type of competition will be good for Duke. Their abilities plus both offer different 'options' should make it harder for the opposition to prepare.

Why do I detest the read-option so?

My disdain doesn't have any logical basis. I just don't dig it.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I liked what I saw in the few instances when they had Boone run the read-option out of shotgun, Oregon/Texas style (and about 50 other schools now). Cutcliffe would be doing his team a disservice if he doesn't sit down with some spread option coaches this offseason and get a new playbook ready for Boone. He's not Vince Young, but he's much closer to being an ideal spread option QB than to being Cutcliffe's classic pro-style guy (Peyton, Eli, Renfree).

Seems like that must be the long term plan anyway, as all of our current post-Renfree QBs are dual-threat guys (Sirk and Boehme are both really big guys who supposedly run 4.5-4.6). I think Cut's even said as much about that being his goal in QB recruiting going forward.

Probably makes sense for an athletic team that doesn't have a dominant offensive line. Next couple weeks should tell us a lot about how well the pocket holds up against good-but-not-great defenses.

Yes to the above.

Duke handicaps themselves if they don't have a duel threat QB. Our o-line is usually going to be a struggle.

Our O-Line has actually been doing well in recent games. As much as people want to give credit to the RBs and QBs for their success, without at least an average O-Line, we couldn't be having such a balanced attack.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back