Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Secondary

Pantone287

Legend
Heroes of the season so far. Canty, Byas and Cockrell have been serious studs, minor injuries and all. Butler has also been great in coverage despite being hurt. Braxton has been great for a first-year converted receiver, particularly against the run.

Foster and Norman have also stepped up big time for injured players. Foster has been a playmaker at CB, and Norman has been pretty impressive as a true freshman getting the majority of snaps at safety over the last two games. Both have gotten badly beaten a couple of times, but have been very solid otherwise.

Overall, it's very strange and awesome to see ACC QBs take incompletions because our coverage is holding for so long. Hope we can keep it up, and hopefully we'll get some lineman back soon to take a little of the pressure off of them.

Canty is amazing.

I will admit I feel like the secondary got away with several pass interferences this past weekend. Not complaining though.

When healthy, our secondary is just good. Cockrell and Butler are experienced, fast, and cover well. Byas and Canty are experienced, tough, and tackle. Braxton has been good too. Nice to have Cash coming in next year. That is just an athletic and experienced defensive back group. Given the injuries, it was tough to also lose Campbell. I wonder what the story is behind that decision to quit mid-season?

Foster made some incredible plays on the ball Saturday. I was concerned, but he disrupted what would have been a few big catches.

Yeah, that'll hurt next year.

I sure hope Boyd comes back completely healthy at some point. He's reportedly really fucking good.

Didn't know that about Boyd, but that's reassuring to hear.

I wonder who we'll have returning kicks now. Would really prefer it not to be someone as crucial/banged up as Butler or Vernon. Maybe we can just throw Blakeney back there, he already does everything else for special teams...

ETA: I think it also kind of hurts the secondary this year, given the staff's propensity to play backups. Don't want Peterson out there more than he has to be...

I'd put Snead in returning kicks since Duncan seems to have claimed the RB1 spot with authority

Tim Burton averaged 20 yards per punt return... Oh well. Jeremy Cash will do us well next season. We just need another corner to play on the other side of Ross.

^Per kick return (not punt), so not quite as bad, but still hurts. Snead as a returner sounds fun though, I'd so much rather do that than throw Lee Butler into that mess...

db05, have you heard that about Boyd since he arrived at Duke? I know he was sort of a hotshot recruit, but I haven't heard much of anything since. It would be huge to get him back and playing well, now, for this season and beyond.

What the fuck is going on here next year.

Please don't go pro Cockrell

Can't get any slower. A 350 pounder outran them

OMG HOW COME WE DIDNT THINK OF CALLING COCKRELL'S MATCHUPS AS COCK ISLAND????

Cash Named All-America Second Team By USA Today
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke redshirt sophomore safety Jeremy Cash was named to the USA Today All-America second team, the publication announced Wednesday.

Cash, a 6-2, 210-pound native of Miami, Fla., has totaled 117 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two quarterback hurries while helping Duke to a 10-3 record, the ACC Coastal Division title and a berth in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31.

Also an All-ACC first team selection, Cash has been a key piece of a Duke defense that has forced 26 turnovers and is holding opponents to 24.7 points per game. He has logged double-digit tackles in a team-high five games and ranks second in the ACC with 9.0 tackles per game. He is the only player in the conference to rank among the league’s top 10 in tackles, interceptions and forced fumbles.

Well done, Jeremy!

Edwards Named Freshman All-America by Sporting News
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke redshirt freshman DeVon Edwards was named to the Sporting News Freshman All-America team as a kickoff returner, the publication announced Friday.

Edwards, who also received Walter Camp All-America second team honors Thursday, did not take over as Duke’s primary kickoff returner until week five but has since averaged an ACC-leading 31.1 yards per kickoff return with two touchdowns returns covering 100 and 99 yards. He has returned 18 kickoffs for 559 yards to rank second nationally in kickoff return average and is also an All-ACC second team selection.

A 5-9, 185-pound safety, Edwards accounted for three touchdowns in Duke’s 38-20 win against N.C. State on Nov. 9, returning two interceptions for scores and a 100-yard kickoff return. His interception returns came on back-to-back plays and covered 25 and 45 yards.

Also a starter at safety, Edwards has logged 55 tackles, three interceptions and six pass breakups in six starts. He has reached double-digit tackles twice and secured the game-winning interception with 13 seconds remaining in Duke’s school-record 10th victory of the year at North Carolina on Nov. 30.

Cock Island picked up by the Buffalo Bills in the fourth round. Highest draft pick for Duke since 1999 I believe.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back