Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2013 Discussion Thread

I wasn't very happy after reading it either, but I'm hoping it will clear my head as I try to make it through August.

Morale of the story is that there's minuscule room for error in order to get back to a bowl... And that the O-line is by far the best position group on the team.

Actually, one thing I didn't know is that Duke was the 14th ranked team in the country in getting sacks on passing downs last year. Problem is Duke was one of the bottom 5 teams in points per play defensively.

Getting through pre-season uninjured will be massive. Missing 3 starters on defense by opening day like last year is going to give me ulcers.

Im basically expecting Borders to start this season

Topher said:
Im basically expecting Borders to start this season

and it sounds like it's simply a result of his phenomenal play, and not the result of others' poor play

Yeah which is suuuuper encouraging. Means we'll have decent depth there.

Anyone know much about Pitt's team this year? Does Duke stand any chance at all against them at home? I'm trying to convince myself that Duke can beat one of Georgia Tech/Pitt at home and be 6-1 going into the Virginia Tech game (yes, that's also assuming we beat UVA again).

Pitt is a 10-point underdog to FSU at Pitt.

How big an underdog would Duke be to FSU at home? 20 points? 30?

I'd guess that Duke would be around a 10-14 point underdog to Pitt at Duke.

BSsEj2mCYAEKl-b.png:large

The only way I see Duke improving on defense is to take a chance on some up and coming young black guy, make him the DC and hope his aura can entice premier defensive lineman and LB's to chose Duke over other schools with larger quantities of slutty women and cash handouts.

I don't even know if the current defensive coaches are good, but I do know the talent they are working with is unsuitable.

We don't need premier DL's and LB's, we need serviceable ones. If Wake and Uva are down for the count, it could help Duke. Or if Vandy just gets overwhelmed in the new SEC.

Keep in mind, Duke used to lose 58-10. Now it's 58-55.

Seems like there are 5 winnable games left this year, and we need to win 4 of them to get back to a bowl. Next two weeks, Troy and Navy, are musts.

Then, it's a question whether we can win 2 of the following 3:

@UVA
State
@Wake

I think those 3 are actually in the correct order from least to most winnable. Two weeks to prepare for each of Navy and State.

I agree that Troy and Navy are must-wins.

I know that UNC has a ridiculous talent advantage over us, but you can't ever count out a rivalry game.

Also, VaTech has looked like hot garbage this year. They cannot score, although their defense has been semi-strong. If we are to beat them any time soon, this is the year.

I still think, if our Defense decides to stop dicking around, that there is still a chance for 5 more wins to ensure a winning season.
My odds order of easiest to hardest per tier-
Very winnable:
Wake, Troy, Navy

Better than 50/50 chance:
State, UVa

50/50:
VaTech, UNC

I think UNC will be properly motivated to play us in their house after last season. I think 50-50 for either them or VT is very optimistic, although I'd consider moving V Tech into the "possibly winnable" category if we were playing them at WW.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
I think UNC will be properly motivated to play us in their house after last season. I think 50-50 for either them or VT is very optimistic, although I'd consider moving V Tech into the "possibly winnable" category if we were playing them at WW.

I would agree with you about VaTech if it was going to be a Thursday or night game at Lane Stadium. Marshall went in there this past weekend and only lost in 3OT. The sell-out streak ended earlier this season. I just don't see VaTech fans coming out in droves to watch a so-so VaTech team struggle against what most believe to be a shitty Duke team. If there is inclement weather, all the better for Duke. Not saying we are going to win, but I do think they are beatable this year, home or away.

As to UNC, you are correct that they will be properly motivated, but you can just never tell in this series. Although we have been thoroughly dominated in the last 20 years, the talent level has always been in UNC's favorite, but we've always played them close. We finally made the breakthrough last year, hopefully we can build on that this year. They don't have Gio this year to run rampant. I do worry about the Renner-Ebron connection, given our ineptitude at covering TEs so far this season.

I don't think I realized how bad VT was (relative to usual) before I posted, so I guess I'll backtrack a bit on them and I can be a tad more optimistic. Just not having the continuity at QB really screwed us, and will screw us further this year.

Sucks because I was hoping/half expecting for 3-1 at this point, and I really think that could have happenned with AB.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back