Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2013 Discussion Thread

With Boone, I think we beat Pitt easily. He was just so much better than Connette.

Crowder's TD catch wouldn't have been so pretty with Boone in there.

Mainly because it would have been a better thrown ball. Coach Mo always said it's the WR's job to make the QB look good -- you can't have great catches unless it's a poorly thrown ball.

Losing Boone was certainly less than ideal, but I think Connette has done more than an admirable job of replacing him. My only beef (besides the defense) is the way we are using Baby Tebow. We know he's not a pocket passer, so MOVE THE POCKET. He throws better on the run.

Also, this situation reminds me of an argument I heard once about Mike Vick when he was on the Falcons that made a lot of sense to me. Connette (like Vick) is a glorified running back. It has to be difficult for him to run for hard earned yards (usually with moderate success) and then be asked, on the immediate next play to throw a perfect long ball. Whenever BC carries the ball, I would like to see the next play be either a run or a very short, but high percentage throw, just so he can catch his breath from the previous play.

dukeberto said:
Mainly because it would have been a better thrown ball. Coach Mo always said it's the WR's job to make the QB look good -- you can't have great catches unless it's a poorly thrown ball.

Uh, yeah.

The buzz about Boone's availability vs Navy has only gotten stronger.

How we use him is the biggest question going forward. I have confidence that Connette can move the ball at will vs Navy, but long term we need to get Boone reps, ideally 50+%.

Just read on deadspin that service academy sports are shut down until further notice. If the government shutdown costs us a chance at a bowl by costing us a 6th win, 10s of duke fans will rage

From rowe's site apparently not a forfeit.

"No, that would not be considered a forfeit. It would just be a “no contest,” meaning the game isn’t considered for wins, stats or anything else. If the schools can agree upon a makeup date, that’s entirely up to them. If not, the game is obviously not played and it’s one less chance at a win to qualify for a bowl."

Army is playing Eastern Michigan the same weekend. Hopefully we can figure something out.

Based on nothing but my own guess: EMU seems like a perfect match for that weekend, if academy sports are still shut down. They will be traveling east anyway and need to fill a non-conf game. They also would like a team that they think they could actually beat, enter Duke.

Why is that not a forfeit? If Duke decided to shut down it would be a forfeit. Frankly I've thought that this whole shutdown is just an elaborate ploy to avoid Connette.

Bodes well for next weekend, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
By the 2011-12 school year, according to self-disclosed data collected in the U.S. Department of Education’s annual Equity in Athletics report, Duke was spending $25.4 million in football—more than any current or incoming ACC school— against $20.5 million in revenue. It’s the only ACC football program that operates in the red, according to the same report, which does not include capital expenditures or money each institution allocates toward maintaining its facilities. (By contrast, Duke told the DOE that men’s basketball cleared nearly $9.8 million in profit during 2011-12.)

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/articl ... ll-matters

Why the fuck are we spending more money than Clemson or Florida St on football? Funnel that money to players if you're just going to waste it, maybe we can land a DT of quality.

Topher said:
Why the fuck are we spending more money than Clemson or Florida St on football? Funnel that money to players if you're just going to waste it, maybe we can land a DT of quality.

That money was to catch up to the mid-tier of the ACC. I think once we get there it will taper off or at least be on par with the rest of the conference.

Long distance recruiting must have something to do with that. At FSU and Clemson they can recruit on the way home from the grocery store.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back