Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The ACC

If Duke beats State and then Clemson beats Georgia Tech the following Thursday, Duke-Miami becomes frighteningly close to a division title game. With Duke Johnson out, perhaps.

This would've been the perfect year for the 4-team playoff, no? What a shame. A Big Ten coach with a track record for winning titles very quickly has gone undefeated for 2 seasons at the preeminent Big Ten program, yet will be unlikely to even get a chance to show what they can do against the best. FSU and Oregon are both destroying everything in their paths and play exciting brands of football. A line on that matchup would be no more than 3 points in either direction. One of them won't get a shot. Bama gets every benefit of the doubt and it's impossible to argue they don't deserve it. All 3 playoff games would do monster ratings.

Also, 3 or 4 probable 1st round NFL QBs starting for those teams (not sure what kind of arm Miller has). Sad.

So, the best offensive player on two of Duke's remaining opponents go down with season ending injuries.

Can't argue with that.

IC reporting Renner is done for the season with shoulder injury.

WOW.

Plus, State's best receiver is out this week.

Talk about getting a few breaks...

Was just coming over here to post that, but of course quickdraw Thain beats me to it.

I think Williams isn't that much worse than Renner. Always hard to lose your starting QB, as we all know. Luckily for Carolina they have piss-poor UVa, who is already locked out of a bowl game, to adapt their offense against this week. Be interesting to see how it goes. What I am hoping for is that Williams isn't decent as a passer, which would take away the Ebron threat.

Addressing my own question, here are William's stats for the year.

Completions/Attempts/Yards: 46/66/537
YPA: 8.14
TD/INT: 6/3
Sacks: 2
QB Rating: 149.9
Rushing Yds/Attempt: 201/50

Compare to Renner
Completions/Attempts: 152/231/1765
YPA: 7.64
TD/INT: 10/5
Sacks: 16
QB Rating: 139.9
Rushing Yds/Attempt: -43/46

Seems that Williams is not too far back from Renner, just hasn't been given the opportunity to be a throwing QB, mainly used as a wildcat/Connette. Will he adapt well to throwing the ball more often?

One thing to look at: Williams averages an INT every 22 passes. Renner an INT every 46 passes.

Line only dropped 1-1.5 points against UNC. UNC favored by 13 at most places instead of 14 or 14.5 pre-Renner news. I expect Duke to be a 2-3 point underdog at UNC, but Duke has been murdering spreads all year.

So, to recap:

1. State lost it's best WR
2. Miami lost Duke Johnson
3. Wake lost Campanaro
4. UNC lost Bryn Renner

To me, the Campanaro loss is actually the biggest of the four in terms of the effect it has on the quality of our opponent (but since he's listed as out 4-6 weeks, there is seemingly a slight chance he can make it back early for our game on the 23rd, especially because he's a senior and they're trying to bowl).

I think we go 2-2. Losses to Miami and UNC.

I'm not even going to look up who Miami's replacement RB is going to be because I already know he is more highly ranked than any Duke RB and is surely capable of running wild against most ACC teams.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
There's still time for Miami to lose their QB. That would make things interesting.

Eh, Morris is... just not that great. I'd rather they lose Dorsett, Walford, or Hurns.

rhfarmer said:
I'm not even going to look up who Miami's replacement RB is going to be because I already know he is more highly ranked than any Duke RB and is surely capable of running wild against most ACC teams.

Dallas Crawford. Yes, he's good.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30