Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Recruiting

Pretty pumped about this. We have a chance to really take a class of no reaches this year.

Love that simply going to a bowl has had this much of an impact so soon. Pierre has a legitimate shot at being a 4 year starter and being an all time Duke QB just the way the roster lines up.

WOW. So that other guy we got that plays multiple positions (but who we apparently recruited as a QB)--what happens with him? Hopefully he also likes being a WR.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, actually. Even just the fact that everyone else in the class is tweeting about how pumped they are that "we got our QB" and whatnot, and I don't remember much of anything when he committed.

Seems like all signs point to an eventual position change, but my impression was that we got him largely because we said we'd give him a shot at QB.

I think it was a combo of recruiting him at QB and allowing him to play baseball. A Russell Wilson kind of situation I think. Those guys usually will be allowed to try out at QB and then gently nudged by the staff towards a different position. If they are team first kind of guys they get the picture and switch over without too much fuss.

Yeah I agree with berto. Quay Chambers is the kids name, right? They'll give him reps and a chance to earn the position, when it most likely doesn't work out or he loses out to Pierre, Boehme, or Sirk, they'll give him the choice of switching to WR or CB or whatever and getting snaps or backing up at QB (likely 4th string).

Topher said:
Yeah I agree with berto. Quay Chambers is the kids name, right? They'll give him reps and a chance to earn the position, when it most likely doesn't work out or he loses out to Pierre, Boehme, or Sirk, they'll give him the choice of switching to WR or CB or whatever and getting snaps or backing up at QB (likely 4th string).

I believe Quay is coming in this year. The one in Pierre's class is Johnathan Lloyd. Although Scout has him listed as a WR, he wants to play QB. He picked us over an impressive offer list including Ohio State, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, etc, because we recruited him as a QB. He is trying to enroll early in 2014 so we'll see how that works out.

Regardless, it is an excellent problem to have. I would much rather have a bunch of guys that are competing as to having the problem of having Mike Schneider or Curt Dukes and Kevin Cronin as our only options.

Rollins said:
3* DE Taariq Shabazz makes it official with Duke this morning.

247 profile http://247sports.com/Player/Taariq-Shabazz-26934

This is also great news. Coach is on a roll these past couple of weeks. I like how Cut gets his classes pretty much wrapped up by the start of fall camp, leaving a couple of spots open for the "big fish" but having the majority of the class in place before the season begins so that the staff can concentrate on the team.

Looking at the commit list there aren't really ANY reaches this year which is a sign of good things to come.

dukeberto said:
Topher said:

I believe Quay is coming in this year. The one in Pierre's class is Johnathan Lloyd. Although Scout has him listed as a WR, he wants to play QB. He picked us over an impressive offer list including Ohio State, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, etc, because we recruited him as a QB. He is trying to enroll early in 2014 so we'll see how that works out.

Regardless, it is an excellent problem to have. I would much rather have a bunch of guys that are competing as to having the problem of having Mike Schneider or Curt Dukes and Kevin Cronin as our only options.

Speaking of, did anyone know that Chris Dappolito is a college head coach now?

http://www.pacesettersathletics.com/spo ... /cdapolito

That's good for Duke, but I must note that Brady Hoke, head American football coach at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus, just landed a high school American football recruit who is widely regarded by many in the industry and/or who are knowledgeable about the sport of American football as the "next" Randy Moss (an American football wide receiver who last played for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL); he holds the NFL single-season touchdown reception record (23, set in 2007), the NFL single-season touchdown reception record for a rookie (17, in 1998), and is second on the NFL all-time regular season touchdown reception list with 156; he is currently a free agent) for 2015, George Campbell.

I see now that UNC has the #4 pro-style QB in 2014, and he is the love child of Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly.

DivWIyj.png

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
That's good for Duke, but I must note that Brady Hoke, head American football coach at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus, just landed a high school American football recruit who is widely regarded by many in the industry and/or who are knowledgeable about the sport of American football as the "next" Randy Moss (an American football wide receiver who last played for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL); he holds the NFL single-season touchdown reception record (23, set in 2007), the NFL single-season touchdown reception record for a rookie (17, in 1998), and is second on the NFL all-time regular season touchdown reception list with 156; he is currently a free agent) for 2015, George Campbell.

I don't want this sentence to go unappreciated.

From espn insider:

Duke-UNC attracting attention of recruits
November, 29, 2013
NOV 29
9:00
AM ET
By Jared Shanker | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
A spot in the ACC championship game is on the line when Duke plays North Carolina. Stop me if you’ve heard that before.

But double check the calendar -- this is November. not March; gridiron, not hardwood. A win over rival UNC and the Blue Devils finish the regular season 10-2, are Coastal Division champs and play Florida State for an ACC championship.

David Cutcliffe is doing it with a roster of players that did not garner many looks from other BCS schools coming out of high school. The Duke coach was forced to scour the ranks to find under-the-radar recruits who fit his system, had the grades and wanted to play at Duke. In such a large pool of players, he was casting a small net.

But a bowl appearance in 2012 and a 2013 campaign on the verge of double-digit wins is giving Duke visions of being Stanford’s East Coast equivalent. Duke has three four-star commitments in the 2014 class; its lone four-star commitment between the 2010-13 classes was a kicker.

“It’s been really big, and going back to last January, when it was most noticeable was when I was out of the region,” Cutcliffe said. “I went to California and Texas in January after the bowl game and everywhere I went people had just seen us and said ‘wow, you guys are good.’ You really sense a huge difference.”

The expedited recruiting process, as Cutcliffe points out, means a coach is recruiting for each of the next three classes every year. The effects of consecutive bowl appearances will be most felt in next year’s cycle, and early indications are that Duke is not going to be a pushover in 2015, especially with North Carolina’s top players.

[+] EnlargeCorey Bell Jr.
Tom Hauck/ESPN.com
Corey Bell Jr. is among a growing number of North Carolina recruits who are impressed by Duke's renaissance.
“It’s not a fluke season,” said 2015 cornerback Corey Bell Jr. (Cornelius, N.C./Hough), who visited for the Miami game. “This is how Duke is now. The general perception was it’s a nerdy basketball school, I can’t even lie. But now going up to [campus] you can tell it’s changing.”

On the other half of the field, UNC coach Larry Fedora could be poised for a strong 2015 class, too. A 1-5 start and a 24-point loss to East Carolina labeled the Tar Heels as the ACC’s most disappointing team through the first half of the season.

The Tar Heels are a more-than-respectable No. 20 in the class rankings, but the results are not as positive in the state of North Carolina. Of the top 20 players in the state that have UNC offers, only three are committed to the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels have not won nine games since 1997, and in-state players point to that as the reason outside programs are beating the state’s top football school for recruits.

“I don’t have much interest in North Carolina. It just hasn’t been one of the schools I want to attend,” ESPN Junior 300 cornerback Mark Fields (Cornelius, N.C./Hough) said. “The football hasn’t been particularly good the past couple of years.”

The ship has been righted in Chapel Hill, though, and the Tar Heels look to close out the season with a six-game winning streak and a bowl game.

Gunter Brewer, the Tar Heels’ top recruiter, is responsible for UNC’s top two commitments, which includes coveted running back Elijah Hood, who flipped from Notre Dame. Brewer said momentum is changing on the field and in recruiting, and sometimes all it takes is one big-time recruit to stay home to create a domino effect.

“The message is the culture is changing here,” Brewer said. “Changing the culture is more than just winning football games. It’s OK to stay home and be the guy.”

Brewer added that it has been a number of younger players who have lifted UNC out of the early hole and into bowl eligibility, which has resonated with recruits. The Tar Heels have not signed the state’s No. 1 player since 2007 (Greg Little). In a talent-rich state and where the local BCS competition is Duke, NC State and Wake Forest (a combined 116-141 since 2007), that’s hard to fathom.

Top in-state junior Shy Tuttle sees a renaissance on the horizon, though.

“I’ve always liked Chapel Hill,” said Tuttle, No. 12 in the ESPN Junior 300. “They’ve always recruited me pretty well. … They’re recruiting people to turn things around.”

Winning is the first step, and wins on the field need to translate to wins on the trail. No doubt the Duke faithful -- and no word might be more fitting to characterize Duke football fans -- are basking in the Belk Bowl and potential ACC championship game in nearby Charlotte. But is 2013 the first or final chapter?

Wake Forest similarly surprised the ACC and country in 2006 and 2007. The Demon Deacons won 20 games and an ACC championship, but they are now wrapping up a fifth consecutive losing season. The recruiting spike from the Orange Bowl appearance was short lived.

Although Cutcliffe is on the verge of breaking new ground with a top 40 class, the sixth-year coach doesn’t mince words about whether his recruiting approach will change.

“We know exactly who fits what we believe in,” he said emphatically. “We will not compromise at all.”

He's good, really good. Projects more as a DE right now with his speed and size but he's got 2.5 years before he's expected to contribute meaningful snaps. Maybe even 3.5. Plenty of time to bulk.

I keep getting email alerts from TDD about recruits, so I assume we signed a new football recruit. Any details? I can't remember my user name and password for the two scout accounts I have.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back