Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Honorary Physicsfactor Bowl Discussion Thread

Re: :(

These games always boil down to missed opportunities. It seems to me that the Duke coaches played to win until 2 seconds to go in the first half, at which point they started playing not to lose.

Also, I didn't watch the game, but from the box score we clearly sucked. Although, Snead and Boone locked good out there together, especially Snead.

I was obviously at the game, and obviously intoxicated so I went ahead and re-watched the game last night up until the second interception.

It was truly a thing of wonder how our offense performed for the first three quarters.

Josh Snead - holy hell. Doing it all.
Juwan Thompson - smash mouth running, moving the pile.
Boone - incredible touch on his long passes, great accuracy.
Crowder - you are a freak of nature. The pushups after the block were great.
Defense was passable for the first half. The shit that Johnny Manziel got away with was just unbelievable. Running into a lineman, spinning back and finding an open receiver for a TD (although that play was very similar to the first DeVon Edwards INT against State, where if he had tipped it like he planned on it probably would have been a pick six.)

The only complaints were the 4th and 1 call where we rolled Boone out instead of just running it down their throats, and of course the pick-six and final interception. I loved how Kelby was able to lay the wood on Manziel, even if it was only once.

I also think our CBs held their own for the most part. It's nearly impossible to have any corner hold their man for more than 7-8 seconds. The freshmen could have probably been a little more disciplined, particularly Singleton, but they are freshmen. They will learn.

Even though I was heartbroken at the end of the game, I'm very encouraged about what our chances will be for next year. We get another soft schedule, maybe not as easy as this year, but definitely enough winnable games to go 8-4 or 9-3.

Thanks to Cut and this year's team. It was a truly enjoyable ride.

Yeah, I was too upset to post yesterday on football, but it's time to move on from aTm and soak in what this team accomplished this season. The TV ratings for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl were incredible per Twitter, and college football fans around the country got to see that Duke is, in fact, for real. We were almost better off being the only game in town sports-wise on New Year's eve as opposed to one of several options throughout the day on New Year's.

A little piece of me, especially post-FSU, thought that the ACC could just be horrible, and that we were still 3-4 TDs worse on an average day than, say, a middle of the pack SEC squad. I no longer think that. What an incredible job by Cut.

I am excited for next season. Do we know the four non-conference opponents yet? I know we open with Elon.

Looks like Troy loses its senior (4 year) QB and its best WR, both of whom set school/conference records. Should be favored by at least a TD in all four of those games. Tulane is probably better than Kansas, but would expect double digit wins in all of those games.

I can't wait to see Charlie Weis roll onto the field at WW.

ACC home games: North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
ACC road games: Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh

I don't need to know anything about GT's roster to know that it's an unwinnable game. 9-3 seems doable. I don't care if they get to play Jameis again or not. I'm not feeling the Duke UNLV 91 vibes.

How great to miss Clemson and FSU again. 3-1 at home. 2-2 on the road. 4-0 non-con.

9-3.

If Georgia Tech is unwinnable no matter the venue, I'd rather just not burn a home game with them and play on the road.

I would love 2-2 on the road.

Questionable Calls?

Hi.

Just wondered if anyone else thought the calls (mostly non-calls) at the end of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl were questionable? Here’s a link to a pretty good video that reviews a few of the more important ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnXNjkbamI

Were there others that bothered you that aren’t in the vid?

Thanks.

Re: Questionable Calls?

There were, but worse was our execution when it counted.

Welcome to the board. We try to keep things streamlined and have a minimum number of threads. I will be moving this one to the :( thread, which was the pre/post-game thread.

Welcome to the board (although I suspect you're just doing a flyby post - probably won't return).

Aiw said it - our execution, or lack thereof, was the problem.

Re: Questionable Calls?

aiw said:
There were, but worse was our execution when it counted.

Welcome to the board. We try to keep things streamlined and have a minimum number of threads. I will be moving this one to the :( thread, which was the pre/post-game thread.
We might want to change the title of the thread if we want visitors to post in the correct thread.

Re: The Honorary Physicsfactor Duke Lost the Bowl Thread

Got it.

Watching this game on ESPNU now because I hate myself. What an incredible display of football by Duke. Boone's interceptions suck but god damn did they take it to AM for 58 minutes.

Re: Bowl Game Discussion

We are now 7-1 and have been bowl eligible for three weeks, so time for the third annual "What bowl are we going to?"

ESPN ACC blog - Russell Athletic Bowl, Dec. 29th.

(ESPN bowl "experts")
Mark Schlabach: Russell Athletic v. Oklahoma
Brad Edwards : Russell Athletic v. Kansas State

Jerry Palm (CBSsports) - Russell Athletic v. Baylor

Phil Steele - Music City Bowl, Dec. 30th v. Texas A&M
[*]Phil continues to underrate us even though we have proven him wrong time and time and time again in the past three years.

CFN - Orange Bowl, Dec. 31 v. Mississippi State (!!!)

AthlonSports - Russell Athletic v. Oklahoma

SBNation - Orange Bowl v. Mississippi State

Orlando Sentinel - Citrus Bowl, Jan. 1st v. Missouri

Syracuse.com - Belk Bowl, Dec. 30th

SI.com - Orange Bowl v. BAMA (what is this world that we live in?)

So most prognosticators seem to think we will be in a top-tier bowl game this year (RABowl still counts as Tier 1 for ACC bowl tie-ins).

Beginning this year, the Orange Bowl has to pick the highest ranked ACC team if the ACC champion qualifies for the playoffs, since it is not hosting a semifinal. Right now Clemson is ranked one spot ahead of us in the CFP rankings - what the OB Committee will use in order to pick FSU's replacement should it qualify for the playoffs. Realistically, I see us ending up in the Russell Athletic Bowl unless we completely fall apart over the next four games. Unfortunately, flights to Orlando during the holidays are not the cheapest. Thanks a lot Walt.

So the Clemson/SCAR game will be big for Duke (maybe) this year. I guess since GT is #24 we need them to start dropping games. Who do I need to root for when GT goes to Clemson though? Perhaps Clemson if our first priority is making sure we win the division. That said, if Miami loses once more, and GT and Duke both have 2 losses, we get the tiebreaker anyway. So I guess it's worth rooting for Georgia Tech especially since SCAR is shit this year.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back