Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

deepdarkblue said:
deeyoukayeee said:
I admire the fact Wenyen trademarked his name. This is a guy who is 'bran-aware'.

Yep, can't overstate the importance of dietary fiber. Ask aiw.

In honor of shog:

Wenyen "Mueslix" Gabriel

Apparently, I need a more contextually effective spellchecker. That being said, I like your nickname suggestion.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Wenyen Gabriel is 88% to Duke on 247 Crystal Ball.

He did not have a Duke offer as of yesterday.

#67 overall in his class. Disgusting for Duke to consider this guy.

Jerry Meyer, head national scout for the 247 network, now believes Wenyen is the 22nd best player in the '16 class. We can comfortably recruit him now.

247 composite rankings and predictions for class after Giles:

1. C DeAndre Ayton (100% Kansas)
2. SF Michael Porter (71% Kansas, 14% Duke)
3. PF Wendell Carter (92% Duke)
4. SF Jarred Vanderbilt (83% Kansas)
5. PF Mohamed Bamba (75% Duke)
6. PG Trevon Duval (67% Louisville, 33% Duke)
7. PG Troy Brown (64% Duke, 36% Kansas)
8. SG Gary Trent (64% Duke, 36% Ohio State)
9. SG DJ Harvey (73% Arizona, 9% Duke)
27. PG Trae Young (73% Duke)

Kansas is looking to get a class of at least Brown, Vanderbilt, Porter and Ayton, which is 4 of the top 7 and pretty good.

I would hope for a Duke class of:

PG Brown or Duval, and Young as a long term project (#27 overall recruit isn't good enough at Duke anymore)
SG Trent
SF Porter or Vanderbilt (whomever Kansas tosses to us as scraps)
PF Bamba
C Carter (not sure what 247 is doing, 6-10 250 is probably not a PF in college)

Realistically, we should expect to get 4-5 of the top 8 overall players plus 1-2 others. Less than that, fire K.

Wow. I thought Ayton was a UK lock.

The Kansas thing is baffling. Self has really not produced (m)any stars at either the college or pro level, hasn't won a whole lot recently relative to expectations, and has had a lot of spectacular flame-outs - X. Henry, Selby, Alexander, etc. Lawrence is a decent enough place, but not really a hotbed of African-American culture.

All of the top schools have some shortcomings, but I struggle to find any particular strength in the Kansas pitch.

There is a zero percent chance UK strikes out on the entire top 10 while Kansas gets 4 guys

This picture posted with the "July Evaluation Period" article on TDD made me realize just how popular the "Duke Starting Five" haircut is. I don't think it actually has anything to do with Duke, but it's funny to see.

nvLkdXG.jpg

I don't understand the Kansas thing either. There's no way a kid with offers from every school in America would voluntarily choose to go there. It seems like God just predestines an elite talent or two to go there every couple years. Either that or Self has a fantastic bag man.

Sounds like Gabriel might wind up being too good to be willing to be a multi-year stabilizer. If he winds up in the top 15 of the best class since 2007, he'll probably have to REALLY love Duke to come off the bench.

Of course, if he is willing, and can continue to work on his perimeter game, we could see a soph Gabriel/Carter/Bamba frontcourt. That would be pretty freakish. Especially with Bagley backing up all three positions.

There's also Kevin Knox at SF, who seems like he'll probably end up in the top 10 somewhere and I assume we'll get if we want: . Not a bad backup plan to Vanderbilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way we can split the school/create a subsidiary university and field two teams? Juicy Capable can coach the Trinity Tobacconists and the teams can split time in Cameron like the Lakers and Clippers do in the Staples Center. It's really the only fair thing to do to keep from crushing the dreams of so many high school stars.

I'd be okay with just giving up on multi-year players entirely and accepting commitments from 7-8 of the top 10 every year from here on out. Let K have his fun and pile up the future all-stars.

2017 title:

PG - Smith
SG - Jackson
SF - Tatum
PF - Gabriel
C - Giles

Bench - Bolden, Jonathan Isaac, Rawle Akins

2018 title:

PG - Duval
SG - Trent
SF - Bagley
PF - Bamba
C - Carter

Bench - Trae Young, Vanderbilt, Knox

And so on.

So you would just tell DJ Harvey and Troy Brown to just take a hike? Don't you think that's a little insensitive? I know the world is their oyster, but top-10 recruits have feelings too.

I think the one Michael Porter to Duke pick is mine and that's going to be changed. Haven't updated my picks in weeks. Either Duval or Brown will go to UK with Ayton, I think.

Topher said:
I think the one Michael Porter to Duke pick is mine and that's going to be changed. Haven't updated my picks in weeks. Either Duval or Brown will go to UK with Ayton, I think.

I think it's really cool that you have a vote on the 247 crystal ball, just saying.

Kansas actually does have a very nice campus. It's like an oasis in an otherwise ridiculously bland state.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom