Duke Basketball 2017-2018

I'm higher on this team than in the recent past only because K showed a willingness to tweak his defense. It was trending upward for several games. Then he had no answer against SJU to the same PnR that has wrecked his teams for years. Hopefully, that was a blip due to the players giving their worst effort of the season, rather than the previous several games being the anomaly. Either could very well be true, given how bad the defense has been for so long.

There aren't many teams that will be favored against Duke in the NCAAT. Villanova would be favored by 1-3 points. I don't think Virginia or Purdue would be favored. If anything, it would be by 1 point. You would think Duke would show up and play their best against these sorts of teams when the stakes are that high, but they seemingly took the entire 1st half off against Virginia.

Duke is once again the team that can lose in the 2nd round to anyone and can steamroll to a title. That's a terrible feeling and it shouldn't be possible when the coaches can practically select whatever mix of players they want every season. They have chosen to go with this OAD approach. They have chosen Duval to be the point guard. Whatever happens, good or bad, will be on the coaches.

Reactions: deepdarkblue
I've been on a kick of following players' individual ORtg from game to game on kenpom. Jalen Brunson hasn't had a single game this season with an ORtg under 100. Considering that he is the PG and his usage is over 25% for the season, that is incredible consistency. Here are Duval's last 5 games in ORtg:

85--this was against Pitt, good grief

I'd feel better about this if it was balanced out by a bunch of games between 150 and 200 (see Thornton, Tyler), or if we were talking about a sub 15% usage player (same). But that's not the case here--this is the person who is supposed to make things go.

K still seemed pissed on the conference call today.

K says he wants Grayson to shoot and be aggressive, but that Grayson has been more focused on leading and defense (????).

The overall summary is that K thinks the team needs to play harder and better.

Good use of my 15 minutes.

Reactions: rome8180
Granted, token is what we’ve been seeing. Perhaps a jump to ‘adequate effort’ would suffice.

There was a token slap of the floor against St John's. It always cracks me up when Bagley does it

Don't know where to put this question so I guess this is as good as any.

Throw out Duke because that's obviously our first choice and throw out your hometown program if you live away from Duke.

If you were a top 50 recruit, where would you go to school? You can pick your position, height, etc. you are a 4yr player with no NBA aspirations although you could probably play overseas.

Your first year you don't play much, 2nd and 3rd year you become a solid rotation player and then start as a senior.

I'd obviously pick Duke #1 and probably UK 2 since I could play for my friends and family. But like I said, I have to exclude those teams.

My list:

1-Virginia: good academic program, good area, Bennett has them as a top 10 team yearly.

2-Nova: fun style of ball and a national contender.

3-ND: fun style of play, players seem to love Brey.

4-Zona State: tons to do, party school and I love Hurley.

5-Michigan: good academic program, fun style of play.

Top 3 are way above the rest. UVA and Nova probably my top 2.

Throw out Duke because that's obviously our first choice and throw out your hometown program if you live away from Duke.

If you were a top 50 recruit, where would you go to school? You can pick your position, height, etc. you are a 4yr player with no NBA aspirations although you could probably play overseas.

Your first year you don't play much, 2nd and 3rd year you become a solid rotation player and then start as a senior.

I'd obviously pick Duke #1 and probably UK 2 since I could play for my friends and family. But like I said, I have to exclude those teams.

My list:

1-Virginia: good academic program, good area, Bennett has them as a top 10 team yearly.

1. North Carolina

Reactions: torontoduke

My list:

What top 50 recruit has no NBA aspirations?

Nova would be at the top for me for a few reasons.

1) In this hypothetical scenario, I am a guard. Good guard play is my favorite aspect of the game. Nova makes great use of their guards.

2) I really love Philly as a city.

3) In the 2010s arguably no program has been as consistently elite as Nova.

My list:

What top 50 recruit has no NBA aspirations?

Dude, just have fun with it. Change the ranking or whatever.

Nova would be at the top for me for a few reasons.

1) In this hypothetical scenario, I am a guard. Good guard play is my favorite aspect of the game. Nova makes great use of their guards.

2) I really love Philly as a city.

3) In the 2010s arguably no program has been as consistently elite as Nova.
I'd be a 6'2 PG. I'm 6' now so it wouldn't change a lot to be 2 inches taller. I've never wanted to be super tall, even if I were a basketball player. UVA is a better school and a much prettier area but Nova is perfect for guards. Would be a very tough decision between those two.

My list:

1-Northwestern: good academic program, Coach Collins.

2-Nova: solid program, solid coach, read nice things about Philly.

3-UVA: great school, terrific to play in the ACC.

4-St. John's: live in NYC, be coached by a Hall of Famer.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil