Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

This is probably our worst regular season loss since what, 2016? We gave up 49 points in the 2nd half to these bums

This is probably our worst regular season loss since what, 2016? We gave up 49 points in the 2nd half to these bums

NC State at home last year was worse, but that was Capel coaching. Under K, this looks like the worst regular season loss since 2014 @ ND. They finished 15-17. St John's likely goes 12-20.

Reactions: TBC
This team really is 2014 all over again. Maybe a bit less sackless, but still finds ways to lose to trash teams and plays horrible defense. We will lose at least 3 more road games, and in the first or second round of the tournament. Going to be the fourth 9+ loss season in five years.

Duke has given up 184 made 3-pointers this season.

I've looked back as far as makes sense, and the team record appears to be 226, which was 2 seasons ago.

The only Duke teams that are still ahead are the last two seasons and teams that made the national championship game and therefore played very long seasons (99/01/15).

Duke has anywhere between 10 and 18 games left. At the current rate (exactly 8.0 per game) they will tie the team record on February 18.

During the Roy era (up until last season):

Head to head - Duke 18 -12
Overall records - Duke 408-96, UNC 398-115
Tourney Records - Duke 31-12, UNC 42-10

Since 2011 (reflect OAD)

Head to head - Duke 11-5
Overall records - Duke 203-51, UNC 202-61
Tourney Records - Duke 14-6, UNC 21-6

Aside from head to head, Duke's overall record surprisingly not much better than UNC over this time; the tourney records are obviously not a surprise given UNC's consecutive runs to the final and Duke shitting the bed 3 times this decade.

If these records are to be used as a referendum on the OAD vs. Roy recruiting style since 2011, I don't think you can say Duke has taken the wrong approach. Consider the shit luck encountered during this period - major injuries in 2011, 2013, 2016 & 2017.

With good health, there is no reason this current Duke squad should not win 30+ games and be positioned to make a decent tourney run. Even with all the flaws, there is too much talent for this team to be playing so poorly.

Great post, Toronto.

With all our problems, we still have a real chance to sweep them this year and next. I'll be disappointed if we don't.

Coach K has an all-time record of 45-42 against UNC.

Great post, Toronto.

With all our problems, we still have a real chance to sweep them this year and next. I'll be disappointed if we don't.

Coach K has an all-time record of 45-42 against UNC.

I'll be very disappointed if they don't take care of UNC.

Does anyone on here actually feel like we can turn it around, get hot, and play some defense by the time the tournament comes around?

I may be in the minority, but I feel like we can.

-Wendell is playing great defense as of late, and has really started to figure out how to alter shots without fouling
-Bagley is still clueless on defense, but his offense washes it out. Needs to get back to getting 15+ boards a game
-Continue getting Trent open 3's/running plays to do so
-Let Grayson facilitate more, rather than working off ball
-Someone bring in Duval and make him play like the last 8 mins of the St Johns game.

With all that being said - I think we can still turn the corner on defense, and become serviceable enough to make it through in March. I think we just need Bagley to figure out help-side defense a bit more and we can protect the rim.

With all things said, we have without a doubt the most talent, and the best offense in the country ( I don't care what KenPom says).

Just want to gather the groups thoughts?

I guess I remain optimistic due to the talent level.

I think the D can be improved if they build up what was established for most of January. The staff also needs to apply the zone more effectively when penetration becomes an issue.

In terms of individual defenders, Bags and Tre are massive disappointments thus far. They have physical tools to be really solid defenders, and they have been so weak.

Another factor to address is the careless, foolish turnovers. No more lazy passes.

The gap on offense from Villanova to Duke is not even within a reasonable margin of error for eye testing. The difference in having Duval run your offense vs. Jalen Brunson is like going from Ish Smith to Chris Paul.

What if we used 2016 Ish Smith in that scenario?

Is there time for the defense to get better? Sure, I guess. Is there time for the defense to improve AND for our backcourt to stop being a net negative AND for the team at both ends to eliminate the long stretches of inconsistency and/or outright awfulness? I doubt it.

I try not to overreact to single-game results, and I've been bullish on this team for most of the season, but that St. John's game was gross as hell and I no longer feel like tricking myself into seeing things that aren't there.

If these records are to be used as a referendum on the OAD vs. Roy recruiting style since 2011, I don't think you can say Duke has taken the wrong approach.
This isn't really an attack on you individually, but it always irks me a little when people talk about Roy's recruiting style vs K's like Roy isn't also trying to load up on OADs. I would say there are three main differences in the typical roster construction of UNC vs Duke:
1) Both try to land OADs, but K obviously has much more success.
2) For whatever reason, Roy's system either doesn't develop or showcase top talent well enough for players to leave as underclassmen.
3) To his credit (and occasionally to his detriment), Roy plays his bench and keeps marginally talented guys happy enough to stick around to be solid contributors as upperclassmen.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom