Game Thread [2019-20] #12 Duke vs. North Carolina

Outcome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Worst Duke team to sweep a UNC team in like, 70+ years or something?

One of those 50s teams for sure, so only Farmer would know.

And just yikes going 22 years between sweeps. Glad I wasn't alive for that level of futility.

All those teams from '88 on were definitely better than this one. And I believe the late '60s teams were pretty good, but I'm not sure.

Best sequence, and the one where we finally put enough breathing room between us and UNC, was getting from 72-67 to 80-67:

-Carey Dunk
-Anthony garbage shot
-Tre Jones miss
- Brooks missed layup, Duke (Robinson) finally gets a defensive rebound, gets pumped as hell about it
- Robinson hits a semi-contested 3 with the shotclock running down, crowd goes nuts
- Anthony bricked 3
- Stanley hits corner 3, crowd goes nuts
- TO Roy
That Ass 3 was off a pass from JORB

Best sequence, and the one where we finally put enough breathing room between us and UNC, was getting from 72-67 to 80-67:

-Carey Dunk
-Anthony garbage shot
-Tre Jones miss
- Brooks missed layup, Duke (Robinson) finally gets a defensive rebound, gets pumped as hell about it
- Robinson hits a semi-contested 3 with the shotclock running down, crowd goes nuts
- Anthony bricked 3
- Stanley hits corner 3, crowd goes nuts
- TO Roy

This great run was entirely fueled by Tre Jones and Justin Robinson. One thing you left out here is that Tre assisted Carey on the dunk and assisted Robinson on the 3. Justin Robinson had back to back GREAT defensive plays. After the Carey dunk Robinson challenges Anthony vertically without fouling and forces a missed lay-up. Jones misses the jump-shot, and then down the floor our defense gets beat by JROB blocks a Brooks dunk attempt. UNC gets the rebound, and JROB again successfully challenges a shot inside without fouling, and then he gets the defensive rebound, and on offense Jones assists him for 3. UNC comes down now trailing by 10, and Anthony takes a really bad 3 which infuriates Roy. We rebound it, and we ran a set play out of Horns which we used frequently in the 2nd half with a bunch of options. On this particular possession Jones enters the ball into Robinson, and Carey dives for the high/low which we had just scored on a few possessions ago and were hitting multiple times in the 2nd half. UNC overhelps from the corner anticipating JROB passing into Carey, and he just instinctively without hesitation passes to the wide open Stanley in the corner who buries the 3.

I fucking love JROB. He's super high IQ, he shoots the 3, and he blocks shots and contests without fouling pretty well and way better than Javin does.

The reason why this game was as close as it was because we were so shitty on the defensive glass. We were 59% D-rebounding. They took 27 more 2-point attempts than we did (we took 9 more threes and more FTs). They shot 42% from 2, which is very good from our perspective. Just so many point blank second chance points.

Looking at the Kenpom stats, Anthony was the worst player on the court of the guys who played 20+ min on either side. Keeling, who had been key to their resurgence in the last couple weeks, was worse in his 19 min. I thought Goldwire and Jones did a nice job defensively.

BTW, while Duke has regressed in a lot of facets, one area in which it actually has improved is FT shooting. I recall us being in the 250-290 range earlier in the year in FT%. Now 137, shooting 72%.

I'm impressed too with the decision to get back on the break on defense, even if we gave up some offensive rebounds. It worked; thankfully we got hot from 3 whenever they pulled close.

Reactions: dukeboy911
I wish we'd push the pace like that every game. It may not always work, but it makes the team much more entertaining to watch. Our halfcourt offense is disgusting most of the time.

I will say that in the halfcourt, I did like us hitting Carey on the roll over and over. That was much more effective than having him try to post up and immediately getting swarmed.

I wish we'd push the pace like that every game. It may not always work, but it makes the team much more entertaining to watch. Our halfcourt offense is disgusting most of the time.

I will say that in the halfcourt, I did like us hitting Carey on the roll over and over. That was much more effective than having him try to post up and immediately getting swarmed.

I really thought our offense in the final 10 minutes was very well planned out.

Reactions: rome8180
So many good posts that I agree with on the past couple pages.

I thought we played pretty well, all things considered. If not for the easy putbacks that they got multiple times (and certainly we can't just write those off), we probably run away with it more than we did. It felt like our defense, outside of said putbacks, was really solid. Thought we did a good job containing the dribble, obviously our transition defense was great, don't seem to remember getting crushed with baskets from their initial post up.

All-in-all, I was pretty encouraged with what I saw. Offensively we played pretty well, obviously shot it well from outside, made free throws, pushed the pace some, spread the floor, loved the various Horns sets.

Weirdly, I watched the whole game and didn't feel nervous about the outcome really at any point. Just never felt like we were threatened to the point of being concerned. The substances consumed pregame might've contributed to that, I suppose.

This ended up being the last game of the season. Me and Slap finish tied for first in game poll predictions at 7 correct. Inveigle 3rd at 6 correct.

Even if the draft gets pushed back to August or w/e, i'm assuming the declaration deadlines will still stand.

Reactions: rome8180

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil