Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. Georgia Tech

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
OL3QG42BHVCDRELIBI6FHB57V4.jpg

Tuesday, January 4, 9:00pm ET, ACC Network
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Duke will attempt to play another ACC basketball game.

Duke should be favored by 16-19 points, assuming key players are not missing from either side.

Senior PG Michael Devoe is poised to make ACC 1st Team. His advanced stats look excellent and his raw stats are 21.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.7 steals, with a 50/46/71 shooting line. He's a big combo guard who needs to drive the bad GT offense out of necessity. No doubt he'll be Moore's main assignment on defense.

This would be the 2nd straight season GT produces a senior ACC POY contender who gradually got better and better until exploding as a senior. Last year, Moses Wright had a good team behind him to bolster his case, and Devoe doesn't have that luxury. He might make the NBA.

778 Josh Pastner Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Josh Partner looks like he's gained 100 pounds so coming off an ACC Championship he's probably been eating well in Atlanta. Is he safe from Covid wearing that shield? He's most likely safer from projectile spitting Cobras if that becomes a problem.

Today is the first day the team can practice. They could not even have individual workouts apparently

I'm glad GT sucks. Knock on wood, but we should be able to perform at 70% and squeak out a victory.

I looked at their stats for the podcast. It's hideous how bad their other players are besides Devoe. If Moore can shut him down, we could win by 40. According to Kenpom, they don't have any other significant players with an offensive rating over 100. Duke has eight (and nine if you count Jeremy Roach at 99.9).

They're a good 3pt shooting team that doesn't take threes. Shield Boy is an awful coach.

Last edited:
Rome, you made me go back into ancient history and look up the stats of that Dennis Scott team that went to the final 4 under Bobby Cremins.

Cremins was an amazing coach. Top 3 players on the team, Scott, Brian Oliver and rookie Kenny Anderson took almost all of the shots. In 1990, Dennis Scott averaged 41% from 3 on nearly TEN attempts per game.

How has the game gone backwards since then?

Didn't those three guys have the highest combined scoring average for a trio ever?

@rhfarmer that 10 threes a game stat from Dennis Scott is such a wild outlier. Reminds me of Louie Dampier, who played in the ABA in the late 1960s. He attempted seven threes a game and hit 36% of them. He made 199 threes in his best season. That accounted for 13% of the league's total makes.

The NBA wouldn't even implement the 3pt line until 1979. Larry Bird, one of the best shooters ever, didn't ever attempt more than 3.3 three pointers a game. His most makes in a season was 90. Reggie Miller never attempted seven threes a game. I believe the first player to attempt threes at that volume was Michael Adams in the early 90s. But he played for a Denver team that was coached by Paul Westhead from Loyola Marymount. They averaged 120 ppg and gave up 130. So I can only imagine their stats were inflated.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom