Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2021-22] Duke vs. Virginia Tech

What’s your prediction, if this game is played?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
15246322-850x560.jpeg

Wednesday, December 22, 9:00pm ET, ESPN2
Cameron Indoor Stadium

This is expected to be the most important game left on Duke’s schedule in terms of obtaining 1-seeds in both the ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament. It may not happen.

Duke should be favored by 7-9 points.

VT is an old, weird, interesting, kinda terrifying team if you’re the favorite. Looking at the stats, they don’t really use a point guard or a center, assuming they go with a shortened 7-man rotation in close games. They have a traditional big man from Nigeria but he’s a distant 8th/9th in the rotation with 8 minutes per game. Here’s their rotation:

Starters

Storm Murphy - 6-0 180, 5th year, transfer from Wofford, career 41% 3pt and 84% ft, isn’t very good at anything other than shooting

Hunter Cattoor - 6-3 200, junior, career 42% 3pt and 75% ft, doesn’t do much of anything other than shoot 3s

Nahiem Alleyne - 6-4 195, junior, career 39% 3pt and 81% ft, another guy who just shoots well

Keve Aluma - 6-9 235, 5th year, transfer from Wofford, if VT has a star player, he would be it, but he’s not that great, 26% usage dwarfs the next highest in the rotation (21%), has improved his range dramatically since sophomore year, shot 35% 3pt last season, which I assume is more indicative of his shooting ability than his 21% 3pt in a small sample size this season, good rebounder, not much passing

Justyn Mutts - 6-7 230, 5th year, transfer from Delaware, having a breakout season but still not great, just a filler body to mostly rebound, with decent passing for a forward, can shoot a little bit but he’s right at the point where you could rationally test your luck by leaving him wide open, 33% 3pt both last season and this season, career 63% ft

Bench

Darius Maddox, 6-5 185, sophomore, career 52% 3pt and 81% ft, all he does well is shoot

David N’Guessan, 6-9 205, sophomore, rebounds and blocks shots, has developed a little range this season (3/6 3pt)

VT can challenge Duke in the two ways everyone is curious to see: (1) This is a super old lineup that probably believes they should win a game anywhere against a bunch of kids; and (2) This is the closest thing Duke will see all season to a team that can do what NBA teams do to impose versatile smallball and destroy bigger lineups.

VT would be wise to run Maddox out there instead of Mutts for most of the game. Mark would have to match up with Aluma. Griffin should play a prominent role for Duke.

Last edited:
Was looking at their stats. They're 10th in the country in 3pt percentage at 40% as a team. But they're also 10th in the country at 3pt percentage defense at 25%. That latter has to be a fluke. But if that holds, they could easily beat Duke by math alone.

Like Duke, they also don't foul very much.

Seems like even money as to whether this experience will be 1) watching our beefcakes dominate the 2nd best ACC team physically and at the rim, or 2) watching our slow, helpless, lumbering children get spread and sniped all game by a bunch of balding power 5 reject assholes. Can't wait.

I'm still skeptical this game actually happens though. No way Nolan didn't give the cron to anyone else.

Duke is almost always in the top 30 or so at limiting threes. 2018 is a particularly notable outlier given our switch to Zone.

This year, we're a more middling #110. It feels like, at least for this one game, given they are a shooting-focused group with probably not a lot of slashers and no real PG, the classic K defense focused on pressure might actually be the optimal strategy. I assume these whites aren't driving past our guys.

Duke is almost always in the top 30 or so at limiting threes. 2018 is a particularly notable outlier given our switch to Zone.

This year, we're a more middling #110. It feels like, at least for this one game, given they are a shooting-focused group with probably not a lot of slashers and no real PG, the classic K defense focused on pressure might actually be the optimal strategy. I assume these whites aren't driving past our guys.

It's true that their starting backcourt is these two guys:

Murphy_Storm_22MB_HEAD_46.jpg
hunter_cattoor_681-jpg

This is going to be so embarrassing.

Kenpom has us by 7. Feels like it should be even closer than that when you consider that home court won't be as strong due to the holiday break.

hunter_cattoor_681-jpg

Jesus. Murphy looks like the least cool guy at a Young Republicans meeting.

Want to see a blowout so we can get Keenan and Bates out there against Storm and Hunter.

hunter_cattoor_681-jpg

Jesus. Murphy looks like the least cool guy at a Young Republicans meeting.

He's got the same energy as

30_rock_kenneth_quotes.JPG

I opened this thread to vote “VT wins” only to see that apparently I voted “Duke by 10+” some time previously. This tracks. I typically get much more pessimistic as game time approaches.

Biggest game of the night for Duke happening in Charlottesville right now. If UVA can come back and get to 2-0, it’s not a long walk from there to 18-2 and the ACC title

The good news for them is they won the Tony Elliott sweepstakes

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom