Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] Notre Dame

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Decent FT shooting and the game still would have been awful, but would have helped the Pom.

Did anything noteworthy happen in the second half? No way in hell I'm going back and rewatching.

This must be what it's like to be a Gonzaga fan, except in a year where they're not very good.

I think our 71 points tonight is the second-most Notre Dame has allowed in 11 conference games this year (Miami had 73). And we left a ton of points at the foul line.

I never really care when we have a game where we can't hit FTs. We've generally shot fine as a team, so it just feels like a weird anomaly. Same thing with the 3pt shooting, though that can be tied into shot selection and ball movement.

Obviously, I would care if we lost.

Last edited:
I think our 71 points tonight is the second-most Notre Dame has allowed in 11 conference games this year (Miami had 73). And we left a ton of points at the foul line.
This game was also far and away their largest loss in conference play. Scanning through the scores, it looks like every other loss was by 3-12 points.

Big takeaway is that the new Notre Dame coach is making games against Notre Dame disgusting and unwatchable. Which is fine, because this conference and this sport are obviously thriving anyway!

Big takeaway is that the new Notre Dame coach is making games against Notre Dame disgusting and unwatchable. Which is fine, because this conference and this sport are obviously thriving anyway!
He learned from the best (Brad Stevens). No one was more of a master at ruining the sport until Tony Bennett came along.

lol that’s awesome. Foster did get away with a Giannis-level travel on that one.
I've complained about this for years. Travels are NEVER called on breakaways. If you watch players' feet, I would estimate that there's a travel in that situation maybe 30% of the time.

And yet, if you so much as move your feet a millimeter before starting a drive from the perimeter, it's an automatic whistle.

Reactions: TBC
It's not that I want more travels to be called. I prefer as few whistles as possible. I just want consistency. The whistles on perimeter drives are often false travels. They happen when a player hesitates or looks awkward before making his move. As long as you look like you know what you're doing, you can get away with a ton of steps.

Honestly, the most glaring things that are missed to me are when guys like Bacot and Flip move their pivot multiple times while faking in the post. That creates more of a competitive advantage than the misses on breakaways, IMO.

Honestly, the most glaring things that are missed to me are when guys like Bacot and Flip move their pivot multiple times while faking in the post. That creates more of a competitive advantage than the misses on breakaways, IMO.
In Flip's case, they know he's going to turn it over anyway.
Actually, Scheyer should start demanding that they call Flip's travels to prevent the inevitable fast break that follows his helpless flailing.

I'm bothered by that too. But I would absolutely disagree that it creates more of an advantage. A breakaway is like a 90% shot if you don't travel. And this is anecdotal, but I think a travel happens there at least as often.

But I would absolutely disagree that it creates more of an advantage. A breakaway is like a 90% shot if you don't travel. And this is anecdotal, but I think a travel happens there at least as often.
Oh, I totally agree on the percentage; I just think that unless the defender is right there and reaching low rather than high, the offensive players doesn't gain anything from the extra step itself.

But I would absolutely disagree that it creates more of an advantage. A breakaway is like a 90% shot if you don't travel. And this is anecdotal, but I think a travel happens there at least as often.
Oh, I totally agree on the percentage; I just think that unless the defender is right there and reaching low rather than high, the offensive players doesn't gain anything from the extra step itself.
That's true, but if whistled you're taking away a more surefire made shot. Whereas even if a player gets to move his pivot foot in the post, he's still not guaranteed to score.

Flip’s stats are substantially better outside of FT shooting, but he just seems so much worse than last year. unenjoayble to watch.
Total hot take here, but I think he's playing through some sort of injury. He can move laterally okay, but when he runs the floor, he kind of waddles. That's different from the way he moved last year (he was just faster), but I think also different from the beginning of this season.

Reactions: beo

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom