Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] Syracuse

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Fqu_aMDWAAEebQT

Tuesday, January 2, 9pm ET, ESPN
Cameron Indoor Stadium

Kenpom: #81 overall, #110 offense, #59 defense

New coach, same 2-3 zone and general stats profile as the past few decades for Syracuse. Sophomore guard Judah Mintz dominates the offense with 31% usage and mediocre efficiency.

Naheem McLeod is a 7-4 junior transfer from FSU. He has a 15% block rate and 88% free throw rate, as one might expect, and his FT% has been much improved this season at 71%. His 1.8 fouls committed per 40 minutes is incredible given his block rate.

It’s not clear what Syracuse does for the >60% of the time McLeod is on the bench, or why he plays so few minutes (stamina?). The defensive rebounding is by a committee of wings, with no apparent backup big. I’d guess Filipowski can be used to make his life miserable if Duke wants McLeod off the court.

Duke is favored by 14.5.

In the earlier game, UNC is favored by 5 at Pitt. Pitt just lost at Syracuse, so some transitive conclusions will be drawn tonight.

So I had assumed Syracuse is still playing full-time zone, because they’re still awful at defensive rebounding and contesting 3s, but having just Googled “does Syracuse still play zone?” it looks like this isn’t the case at all.

Really weird to see a primarily m2m defense this bad at both of those things. I don’t think I’ll witness it, as I doubt I’ll ever watch Syracuse play again.

They play pressure man to man now. Looks a lot like Kfense. That might be why they don’t have their giant guy on the court as much in this late win streak.

Looks like they play mostly a full lineup of big guards or power wings. Saw lots of 5 out from the 4 minutes highlights I just watched. Hopefully Duke’s little guards don’t get bullied, and Flip and Young do all right being pulled from the basket.

The Cuse guards are very physical, so Devils backcourt will have their hands full.

It’s very unclear to me whether Duke is actually losing right now. I know they will eventually lose, but I’d like to know if they currently are losing

This is some good basketball

Hard to find two guys less tuned in than Dave O’Brien and J-Will

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back