Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] UNC Pembroke (Exhibition)

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Wednesday, November 1, 7:00pm ET, ACCNX

From Duke athletics:
Duke and UNC Pembroke have never met … the Braves were 26-4 overall last year, 18-2 in Conference Carolina and reached the Southeast Regional of the NCAA Division II Tournament … The team returns its top two scorers from last season in junior guards Bradlee Haskell (13.2 ppg) and JaJuan Carr (10.2).

The first look at Scheyer’s first national-title-or-bust team.

JaJuan is kind of a brilliant name. I wanted to pronounce it "Juh-Jwan" (with both Js pronounced). And then I realized it's probably an English-Spanish hybrid and is supposed to be pronounced "Juwan."

That said, he's about to get locked the fuck up by Proctor.

Let’s go Duke Nation!!

Game notes have Jared McCain as the 5th starter tonight with the other usual 4!

Yes. By a lot. Seems like it was kind of a bummer though. I have yet to watch.

- Flip is mediocre
- rim defense sucks
- Proctor is awesome

This is all just secondhand info.

Hearing that Flip crushed it against Nova, an actual team, is a bigger deal then him looking mediocre in some bullshit exhibition game though.
Yeah, but can we believe anything from the Nova reports?

Literally heard Duke blew them out and then heard Duke lost. How do you get something that basic wrong?

Flip was fine. What really stood out to me is how physical UNC-P played, I mean I expected them to play hard, but they were bumping and crashing into our guys all night, not what I would have expected from an "exhibition" game. I was getting worried that one of our guys were going to get injured out there.

And because of the physical play nobody on Duke looked particularly smooth, other than Proctor who drained 5 3s in the first half. But the net result is they were called for 30 fouls, Duke went to the line 43 times and shot 84% from the line.

My takeaway from the games is that the team has separated themselves into a top tier and 2nd tier. The top tier is the 5 starters and Foster, they will combine to play 150-160 minutes every game (barring injury, foul trouble and blowouts).
The 2nd tier is Young, Stewart, Blakes, Power and Schutt, and they will fight for those 40-50 minutes, with the minutes distribution from high to low in that order. Stewart has the potential to make a jump to the top tier later this year, but more likely he'll make the jump as a sophomore. He has all the tools but he needs to get stronger and put them all together.

The odd man out is Schutt, I like him a lot but really we are just too deep with talent at the guard position. Blakes at least offers something the other top 4 guards don't, physicality and defense, and he kind of shined tonight in this physical game again proving that he will be needed on certain nights. Schutt just doesn't do anything better than the top 4 so barring injury or blowout I just don't see who Scheyer sits to play him.

Another take away is that we are probably not going to defend the rim nearly as well as we did last year, but we might be even better on the perimeter.

Last edited:
Hearing that Flip crushed it against Nova, an actual team, is a bigger deal then him looking mediocre in some bullshit exhibition game though.
Yeah, but can we believe anything from the Nova reports?

Literally heard Duke blew them out and then heard Duke lost. How do you get something that basic wrong?
The story is that there were designated segments to the scrimmage to work on different things and it wasn't a full game. In the Duke starters vs Nova starters portion Duke did well, but some of the other segments Nova did better, and if you tally it up it might be that Nova had more total points.

As for what the segments are, I don't know, but I imagine it could be a 5 minute segment where both team played zone defense exclusively to practice their zone defense and zone offense, and maybe another 5 minute segment where they run the full court press to practice how to run it and how to break the press, etc.

I agree with Last Hearth. I thought we looked good tonight. The defense was impressive in forcing turnovers. Rim protection wasn’t great but they had a hard time even getting to the rim. Free throws were awesome. It was interesting Power came in before Schutt. Not sure why Reeves didn’t play…is he hurt?

We are generally pretty deep. We have a solid 7 in Foster and Young and I feel like there is a ton of potential for Stewart as LastHearth mentioned to make it 8. He also has a nice midrange game.

Love McCain’s game. Whoever said Brunson is spot on. I also enjoyed seeing Flip at the 5. He was good as he needed to be.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom