Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coaching Carousel

I think the worst coaches in modern ACC history have to be:

-Kenny Payne @ Louisville
-Danny Manning and Jeff Bzdelik @ Wake
-Kevin Stallings @ Pitt
-James Johnson @ VT
-That bouncer looking dude @ BC

I think the worst coaches in modern ACC history have to be:

-Kenny Payne @ Louisville
-Danny Manning and Jeff Bzdelik @ Wake
-Kevin Stallings @ Pitt
-James Johnson @ VT
-That bouncer looking dude @ BC
Weirdly Bzdelik had come from the NBA, where he was an assistant coach for fairly successful teams. And when he "resigned" from Wake, he got to go back to the NBA and work for more fairly competent teams. I'm not sure why the NBA wanted him back. But he was on the bench of those Rockets teams in the peak James Harden years, including when they almost knocked off the Warriors. He probably would have an NBA ring if they'd won that round.

Also, the Wikipedia article straight-up describes his record at Wake Forest as "abysmal." You never see language that colored in a Wikipedia article. I'm thinking that part was added by a Wake fan.

He also was an assistant on the Pelicans in Zion's first season. Hasn't coached since.

A thing that basically got no coverage (and why would it) is that former Michigan “Defensive Coordinator” Luke Yahlich got canned at Illinois-Chicago. I say it every year but give me some nerdy guy to set our defensive floor at like 15 every year over another guy “known for recruiting“ (esp when recruiting is now done through NIL)

Last edited:
A thing that basically got no coverage (and why would it) is that former Michigan “Defensive Coordinator” Luke Yahlich got canned at Illinois-Chicago. I say it every year but give me some nerdy guy to set our defensive floor at like 15 every year over another guy “known for recruiting“ (esp when recruiting is now done through NIL)
I know we're below 15th on the season, but Jai Lucas is literally a nerdy guy that coordinates our defense. 16th and 22nd in the first two seasons of a staff is not bad.

I mean, I'd happily take Yaklich as a replacement if Lucas leaves. I wonder if hey and Scheyer have any connections just because of all the Illinoisness about him.

I doubt this would really happen, but Trilly mentioned earlier this season that there was a chance UCF would move on from Johnny Dawkins.

Obviously he's been a head coach for the last 16 years, but if he were tired of the head coaching grind at 60, I'd love to get him back on our bench as Associate He's posted 5 top-40 defenses in his 8 years at UCF, including #11 this year. Also seems okay good at at identifying underranked guys who are physically ready to compete. Not an offensive wiz by any stretch.

Jai Lucas probably won’t be here in two years because of how highly regarded he is. You have to put together a deep bench of coaching talent.

Yeah, wasn't there a Duke Basketball video where he pretty openly said that he was here to prepare himself to become a head coach, or words to that effect? I think it was last summer or fall.

Jai Lucas probably won’t be here in two years because of how highly regarded he is. You have to put together a deep bench of coaching talent.

Yeah, wasn't there a Duke Basketball video where he pretty openly said that he was here to prepare himself to become a head coach, or words to that effect? I think it was last summer or fall.
Whether he said it or not, surely that’s the case and he isn’t planning to be a assistant his entire life.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom