Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pomeroy's "good players" thing is kind of a canard though [which reminds me, Luke Kennard should have been ACC POY in 2017 over Justin Jackson].

The Big 12 and Big East weren't as good as they were because of the top players, and Jalen Wilson and Tyler Kolek are no better players or prospects than Wong is any substantial way. Those leagues were as good as they were because they had overall player depth and quality up and down the standings.

Reactions: rome8180
So, announcements of who stays/goes may be coming this week. Of course, we know Proctor's already.

If we get good news this week, we're about to find out something critically important about Jon Scheyer. The question that's been on every Duke fan's mind since June 2021. Can he keep Duke elite?

The sooner he can put a team out there that tells the nation "Duke's not going anywhere", the better.

Fingers crossed that moment is next year

Our defense was still solid with Lively off the floor this year and his backup was a pretty limited rim protector. So I wouldn't say Lively's rim defense was covering up for a lot of issues. We just had a pretty sound defensive scheme and executed it well.

Stewart seems like he could be an excellent defender, and if we get Mitchell back we would have some great options for switch-everything lineups due to good size at the guard spots (if Roach moves on). If Mitchell and Flip bail, shoot for the Dayton kid.

I am pretty excited to see what a team full of top 25 guards and wings can do small ball wise. As long as they're able to team rebound and willing to share they ball, they should be tough to guard on paper. Hope they're regularly in a 4 out, 1 in lineups if not entirely small ball.

I am pretty excited to see what a team full of top 25 guards and wings can do small ball wise. As long as they're able to team rebound and willing to share they ball, they should be tough to guard on paper. Hope they're regularly in a 4 out, 1 in lineups if not entirely small ball.
I would also love them to play small. But the fact that Flip didn't play the 5 even when Lively sucked, and the fact that we still seem to be looking at the Holmes kid in the portal, make me doubt we're going to go that way.

But maybe the guards are just so good and there's so many of them deserving minutes that it forces Scheyer's hand.

I feel differently about Stewart. He slots perfectly into that Jarred Vanderbilt role, imo. There are a dozen guys who are excelling in the NBA right now with that skillset (versatile defender, strong enough to play the post, can hit a corner three).

Granted, this is just based on my projections of what his skillset will be.

Yeah, just projecting here, too, but I see Stewart as having explosive speed and hops, but always in a thicker-lower-body kind of way. And I'm not sure he can really dribble or anything. So I'm imagining closer to Paul Millsap, maybe? But also guys like EJ Liddell, Grant Williams, Alex Poythress, etc.

Last edited:
I feel differently about Stewart. He slots perfectly into that Jarred Vanderbilt role, imo. There are a dozen guys who are excelling in the NBA right now with that skillset (versatile defender, strong enough to play the post, can hit a corner three).

Granted, this is just based on my projections of what his skillset will be.

He (hopefully) seems like someone who will have a long NBA career as a role player after playing several years in college and getting drafted in the back half of the first as someone who can contribute right away in a role. Most of his NBA comps (Brandon Clarke, Vanderbilt, Grant Williams) either stayed 3-4 years or took a couple years to catch on in the league, rather than being in-demand lottery types.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil