Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

On the plus side, it's nice to be able to mentally check out from a season this early. Last year, you had the constant tease of not being at "full strength."

I get a kick out of being the optimist around here and seen as a complete downer on TDD

Maybe I'm an idiot but the defensive issues are nothing new, we just finally caught a bullet.

I guess I don't get how a coach this successful and clearly intelligent can let this ball screen defense disaster happen year after year. You would think he would get sick of seeing it and try anything and everything to fix it.

I guess I don't get how a coach this successful and clearly intelligent can let this ball screen defense disaster happen year after year. You would think he would get sick of seeing it and try anything and everything to fix it.
He clearly thinks it's up to the players to play better/harder. We've heard this over and over again out of the horse's mouth. He credits the other team, no matter how shitty they are, then talks about how his players don't play his terrible scheme hard enough.

This year, unfortunately, his scheme still sucks and the players don't play hard.

Northwestern is 5-4 with the following losses:
88-92 vs Creighton
49-85 vs (neutral) Texas Tech
51-52 @ Georgia Tech
69-74 @ Purdue

Marquette is 7-3 with the following losses:
71-86 vs (neutral) Purdue
66-80 vs (neutral) Wichita State
66-73 vs UGA

Arizona State is undefeated with double digit wins against Kansas (on the road), Xavier (neutral court) and Saint John's and Kansas State.

Quin Snyder is 13-14

Notre Dame is 8-2 with wins over Wichita State, but a blowout loss to Sparty and a bad 3 point loss to Ball State.

Tommy Amaker is 4-6

Johnny Dawkins is 6-3 with wins over Nebraska and Alabama and losses to WVU, Missouri, and Saint Johns.

Northwestern is 5-4 with the following losses:
88-92 vs Creighton
49-85 vs (neutral) Texas Tech
51-52 @ Georgia Tech
69-74 @ Purdue

Marquette is 7-3 with the following losses:
71-86 vs (neutral) Purdue
66-80 vs (neutral) Wichita State
66-73 vs UGA

Arizona State is undefeated with double digit wins against Kansas (on the road), Xavier (neutral court) and Saint John's and Kansas State.

Quin Snyder is 13-14

Notre Dame is 8-2 with wins over Wichita State, but a blowout loss to Sparty and a bad 3 point loss to Ball State.

Tommy Amaker is 4-6

Johnny Dawkins is 6-3 with wins over Nebraska and Alabama and losses to WVU, Missouri, and Saint Johns.
Jay Bilas is 0-1 vs. The NCAA

I think the fact that our perimeter D sucks in both zone and man suggests that the problem may be less the scheme than the rest of coaching defense. Positioning, spacing, watching man not ball, etc.

I think the fact that our perimeter D sucks in both zone and man suggests that the problem may be less the scheme than the rest of coaching defense. Positioning, spacing, watching man not ball, etc.
Yes. The scheme isn't even a scheme this season. Our defense changes from possession to possession, game to game. There are fundamentally poor aspects of how the players are defending, which other OAD-filled teams don't all experience.

Wojo and Capel over Hurley will turn out to be a disaster and one of the biggest mistakes in program history.

I still want Collins and Hurley is probably second on my list. If it's Capel I'll be pretty bummed and I love Capel. Just don't see him as a HC at a top program.

What Collins did last year was still more impressive. And he can actually coach defense. Maybe Hurley can too, but he's not showing that this year.

Also, I question Hurley's recruiting integrity.

What's a real head scratcher is we used to be known for being a very defensive team almost every year. I don't buy that "the defense is too complicated" or "they're too young" bullshit.

What's a real head scratcher is we used to be known for being a very defensive team almost every year. I don't buy that "the defense is too complicated" or "they're too young" bullshit.
It's like we have different assistant coaches.

Yeah, Hurley seems to attract some players that he couldn't touch if he were at Duke. Not sure how much that is Hurley or the booster culture at ASU though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom