Florida Gulf Coast Post Game Reaction

I want to say the difference in interpretation of God's performance is relative to expectations, but this is a guy who was ranked outside the top 100 in high school. Perhaps it's the difference between the perceived strengths and weaknesses of our two point guards, again, relative to expectations. I also think it has to do with something that we all agree on, the idea that Cook's upside, if recognized, will take Duke farther than God's highest ceiling.

But at some point, doesn't it mean more to commit to the present and go as far as possible with the best players available? And while I think Cook will eventually take this team over and make it his, I'm not sure that will happen this year, despite him having one of his better performances in a Duke uniform last night. It seems that Coach K believes this is a team with two PGs, and each have their own respective role to play. If these players were more similar in their innate styles (offense vs. defense, style vs. substance etc.), maybe this wouldn't be such an argument.

I don't know where I was really going with this post and I don't see an end in sight without pulling out a bunch of stats and analyzing them. I don't feel like doing that at this time, so I'm just going to unnaturally end it.

Curry looked OK considering post game K said that he hadn't practiced since KY.

He did have a beautiful no look entry pass to Hairston late in the second half. However, almost no passes to anyone in the post. Frustrating since Curry is actually showing a pretty good ability to get into the lane off the dribble.

http://www.duke-forum.com/blog/florida-gulf-coast-post-game-reaction/

FGC post game reaction

This was the epitome of a trap game. Coming off the big win over Kentucky on Tuesday, Duke played host to a very well coached Florida Gulf Coast team that had just knocked off ACC brethren Miami. Duke had to be careful to not look too far ahead to the Battle for Atlantis and for the majority of the first half, Duke looked ripe for the upset.

FGC played a tough match-up zone that forced Duke into additional passes and cut off some of the passing lanes to Mason Plumlee. It worked well throughout the first half as FGC was able maintain a lead through strong rebounding, ball movement, dribble penetration, and frankly, a couple lucky bounces.

Duke had a little trouble passing against the zone and for a team that thrives in ball movement, it showcased a great way for better teams to control the game against Duke.

However, once the shots started to fall, Duke began pulling away. To the tune of a 30-0 run that put the game away.

Observations:

- Duke actually wasn’t horrible at boxing out like I first thought. Upon the re-watch, Plumlee, Jefferson, and the guards all did a decent enough job (still would like to see better) boxing out but FGC was relentless on the glass and eventually won several boards through third and fourth efforts. This is still disconcerting considering the size advantage Duke enjoyed.
- Rasheed Sulaimon might just be a one and done simply on talent. Although he came in as a top 10 player, his hype was much weaker than his phenom predecessors Austin Rivers and Kyrie Irving. Perhaps because of this, Sulaimon’s play has been pleasantly but nervously surprising. Sheed finished with 19 points and has displayed through these first few games an ability to drive the lane at a very high level and be a very consistent outside threat. If the draft didn’t seem a little guard heavy, I’d say he’s lottery talent. Something to keep an eye on going forward.
- Quinn Cook had arguably his best game as he could have ended up north of 13 assists had some early shots fallen. He did have 5 turnovers but I’m not overly concerned as that seems like an outlier to a player that averaged about 1 turnover every 24 minutes. In 26 minutes last night, that number quintupled. I believe it is more due to the zone he faced than actual any indication of his ability.
- Ryan Kelly continues to be sneaky good. The classic player that blends into the game, gets his points in the flow of the offense, adds in a few offensive putbacks and before you know it he’s got 14 points, 9 rebounds, a few assists, a couple blocks and steals and he was quietly the biggest variable in the game. Could end up the most underrated player in the country this year just because of the shine from Plumlee and Curry.
- Speaking of, Curry had a quiet night. It made great sense because Curry has an attacking personality that flips on and off when necessary. In games that are tight or have big implications, Curry almost always shows up (with a few exceptions) but in games that seem to be in control, he has shown the tendency to pull back and defer to the rest of the team. As long as he knows when to flip the switch and it remains as easy as that, there wont be issues.
- Plumlee, the NPOY candidate, has been ridiculously efficient this season as he now shoots 77% from both the line and the field. Those numbers are due to regress to the mean as Plumlee’s free throw mechanics aren’t largely changed to indicate such a drastic improvement. However, if he is able to maintain that free throw rate, he’ll make a claim to being the best big man in the country. Kinda makes you wish Duke had drawn Indiana in the ACC/B1G challenge.
- I’m still loving the new and in-shape Josh Hairston. His quickness and defensive attitude has been fantastic so far and what I was happy to notice was that it didn’t change depending on the opponent. Its easy to get up for big games, which Hairston did very well. However, its another to get hyped to guard Florida Gulf Coast as a bench player and Josh showed out well. As long as he’s in good form as an assertive defender off the bench, Duke can steal minutes with Plumlee or Kelly on the bench.
- Thornton had a poor shooting game and perhaps because of that forced more plays than he normally would have. He had a few nice assists and played his defensive rotations well. Still, not his best game but not as horrible as the box score looks. Typical Tyler Thornton.
- I want to comment on Alex Murphy and draw some conclusions but I just can’t. Sometimes he looks lost and overmatched, other times he looks comfortable and aware. I really feel we won’t know what we have with him until he gets extended minutes.
- Amile Jefferson continues to impress as a silky finisher around the rim and an active rebounder and defender. I really don't expect much more out of him and don't think Duke needs much more than that.

As it stands now, Duke is looking at a definitive 8 man rotation with Thornton, Jefferson, Hairston off the bench. This should be fine but it sure would be nice to get Marshall Plumlee back and find some consistency out of Alex Murphy, if only for 10 minutes a game. Overall, there are only so many things you can take from a 21 point win over Florida Gulf Coast. Real answers should start to emerge after Atlantis, which it appears no one is acknowledging the discovery of this ancient world and we’ve decided it should host our in-season college basketball tournaments. I, for one, am excited to meet King Neptune.

Quinn Cook's passes are of the high risk/high reward variety. I am kind of okay with that.

Alex looks more lost than he is b/c his hair is floppy. He turns his head once, in a nice, tight, efficient turn, but his hair moves like a 3-hour-old colt getting to its feet for the first time.

I know K takes a pretty tough approach w/ expecting guys to get up to speed quickly or get used to sitting, but I think this team is really going to need Alex or Amile to be effective at the 3 to protect Mason from foul trouble.

I wonder if the burst that put the game out of reach gave K room to rest Seth. He only played 24 minutes.

The Seth issue still seems more serious than what the staff has been leading us to believe.

Watching Murphy makes me think he is having some serious problems with his confidence on the court. Hopefully this changes going forward, because we absolutely could use his height and length.

dgoore97 said:
My 2cents:

QC -- was improved. turnovers remain an issue (hard to be 100% postivie when your PG has 5 turnovers..). also -- (w/ TT and SC) getting beat off the dribble could be a real problem against teams with top back courts. If he can keep hitting 3s when teams layoff it would be a big help tho. overall, strong showing for QC.

RS -- love this kid. does so many things well. notable exception to our guards being beat off the dribble -- at least i didn't see it happen. I think he played 40 minutes this game, which to me is great.

JH -- so much better this year.

MP -- still early, but he is playing great. love his focus down low this game. I saw no fadeaways.

RK -- so skilled. love the aggressivenes on offense. I have heard the detractors, but to me he is awesome.

SC -- didn't have a bad game, but I am hoping for consistent excellence from SC as a senior on this team. may be the injury or lack of practice, but I always have the feeling that he could take a game over, sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

TT -- needs to make better decisions with the ball imho. what he lacks in athleticism, I want to seem him make up with intelligent play. Topher, I know you disagree...

AJ -- love his energy and i think he has good skills, great attitude

AM -- not enough to judge, by the time I saw him, he was gone from the game!
I really don't. Most of the time he makes good decisions and is really useful. Last night wasn't a great game for him and I'd like to see better because I know we can get better out of him. That said, last night he was ushered into a less prominent role than what he had been. I think that had something to do with it.

Yeah, I hope we get the latest quarterfinal game at least.

My favorite part of this game was when Quinn got in the 6'9" guy's face after he got hurt in that way he does where he's pretty much looking straight up like a pitbull puppy and he looks so funny that you can't really tell if he's being serious or not. He was all yelling "Ahh man, you hit my arm and it hurts!" and the guy was all, wha?

ChibCU said:
The Seth issue still seems more serious than what the staff has been leading us to believe.

Which "Seth issue" are you referring to? The one from last year where he showed little leadership? The one from last year where he 'pouted' his way in games because of the attention given to a great freshman player? Or maybe simply the one from last year that showed he can't defend taller players, can't defend faster players, and was erratic at best in shooting percentage? He is a senior is he not?

dukeofcalabash said:
ChibCU said:

Which "Seth issue" are you referring to? The one from last year where he showed little leadership? The one from last year where he 'pouted' his way in games because of the attention given to a great freshman player? Or maybe simply the one from last year that showed he can't defend taller players, can't defend faster players, and was erratic at best in shooting percentage? He is a senior is he not?

I think he was talking about his leg.

Which leg? The hog's leg he smoked before getting on the plane for Maui? Or the sexy leg lamp he broke at my house last Christmas?

Dattier said:
Which leg? The hog's leg he smoked before getting on the plane for Maui? Or the sexy leg lamp he broke at my house last Christmas?
But you didn't say "fudge".

dukeofcalabash said:
ChibCU said:

Slow your roll, man. Wow...where were you after the UK game?

dukeofcalabash said:
ChibCU said:

Total Dud Dude. Please Offer Something Tangible.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil