Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

Have you seen the new Orange O Bass? Me likey.
Yeah, I watched this demo. He really liked it. He was saying he used to find them ugly, which I didn't get. I think they look awesome. They're only like $500 new too. I may take a gamble on one down the road.

Was able to get this on turn 6, but only because I knew it was difficult beforehand and adjusted my trial and error accordingly. Would’ve definitely been a miss going in blind.

I got it in 6, but I play hard mode and always guess the previous word first.

@bfactor It's not nearly as nice as your Taylor, but I got one of these recently. It's amazing how nice even their "budget" guitars are.

I got it for about half price too. It had a few tiny nicks and dings on it, but I don't care about that. I tried out a bunch of other guitars in a similar price range, and this was by far the best.

Guy on this bass forum is like "You paid for some pieces of wood with screws in them?"

I'm like, "Yeah. It was $75. Why don't you calculate for me how much in tools and labor I would have spent to do that." I would have had to get quality wood, cut it to spec, drill circular escape holes for cables in the sides, cut the side panels at a precise diagonal, attach a handle you can't see in the photos, make a little spot to affix the power supply underneath, stain the wood, etc.

If I had all the tools and knowledge already it might have made sense. As it is, it would have cost me hundreds and taken me hours when you added in trips to the store. I swear, people who think you should never pay people to make you something are annoying. If it's something you want to do and enjoy doing, go for it. But I'll continue to pay people. I don't mind giving independent craftspeople my money. It's not some master piece of craftsmanship, but I also didn't pay for it like it was. There are beautiful options you can get for $300+.

Last edited:
I have much respect for people who try to make their own things/do skilled trade work on their own terms, but many of the 'why don't you do it yourself bro' people I encounter grossly exaggerate their own abilities and toss those comments out as some sort of petty one-upmanship.

Previous owner of my house did a lot of things on his own, and fucked up a lot (specifically with tankless water heater install, which was not to code)

BTW, your effects game is pretty astonishing. I just play everything clean...
It's really just compression, distortion, and EQ. The chorus and octave are specialty pedals that I don't use that often.

I used to play everything clean. But my attitude toward that has changed as I started mixing. Compression and distortion are so useful to having the bass sit right and cut through a mix. On basically any song you've ever heard, even a pristine pop-country track, the bass is distorted and heavily compressed. Obviously you can add those effects in post in the studio, but I've gotten to like the sound.

The EQ is to get rid of resonances in my room. Every time I played an E on the A string, the whole house would rattle. Need to cut that 80 hz.

Also, if you ever get one pedal, the Sansamp Bass Driver is the one to get. It's a studio and live staple. You'd recognize the sound as soon as you hear it. It's the sound of rock music from the '90s on.

I have played with a Big Muff (pie symbol), a bass octave, a Digitech rig that has tons of preset sounds. I used those things to cover up for my shitty technique for a long time. Now that I'm somewhat respectable as a player, I am enjoying working on triads and scales and chords clean, just so I can try to finger correctly and relatively noise free. Turning off the pedals forced me to suck less.

Now, I'm starting to think more about effects as I listen to a band like Muse completely reinvent what a bass sounds like.

I have played with a Big Muff (pie symbol), a bass octave, a Digitech rig that has tons of preset sounds. I used those things to cover up for my shitty technique for a long time. Now that I'm somewhat respectable as a player, I am enjoying working on triads and scales and chords clean, just so I can try to finger correctly and relatively noise free. Turning off the pedals forced me to suck less.

Now, I'm starting to think more about effects as I listen to a band like Muse completely reinvent what a bass sounds like.
Yeah, that's why I avoided pedals. I was a purist. My early bass lessons were from a jazz bass teacher, and jazz bassists tend to play without effects (except in fusion). I was also big into melodic bass lines -- and still am -- and I didn't want anything to cover up what I was doing.

But the more I listened to isolated bass tracks, the more I realized that what it sounds like in the mix isn't at all like what it sounds like in solo. Some of my favorite bassists' tones sound clean in the context of a song, but are quite blown out. Robert DeLeo and Paul McCartney being a couple of examples that come to mind.

Agree about Chris Wolstenholme. His sound is perfection. He's the reason I have a Big Muff and octave pedal and am debating getting a synth pedal. Btw, the Deluxe Big Muff is worth it because you can maintain so much more low end with it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom