Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Introducing: 2-Way Ignore

ZackM

Administrator
Staff member
Now available to all users is a 2-way ignore feature.

****SEE UPDATE***By default, 2-way ignore will be enabled for all users. This means when you put someone on ignore, not only will you no longer see any of their content, but they will also no longer see any of your content.

If you want to use the traditional ignore feature, you can disable 2-way ignore by accessing your "Ignoring" preferences found when you click your profile in the main menu. On that page you'll also find an option for completely removing ignored content. When this option is enabled you will not see when ignored content has been posted at all. When it is disabled you'll see a message in place of ignored content informing you that the content was posted by someone you ignore and giving you the option of showing the hidden content.

Please note that if someone blocks you, you will still be able to see threads started by that person, but you won't see any of their posts. This is done intentionally to prevent any user from affecting another user's ability to access every thread. However, if you block somebody, you will no longer see threads started by them as has always been the case when using the ignore feature.

****Please only use this feature as a last resort. Too much use will affect board readability.****

Last edited:
****UPDATE****

2-Way ignore will no longer be enabled by default. If you want to use this feature, you need to enable it on your "ignoring" page.

It's definitely interesting. There have been times where I've only seen like 4 posts on a page, because I'm assuming the rest of the posts I can't see are from people who ignored me. I'm also beginning to figure out that posters are sometimes asking me questions, or making posts in response to posters that have me on ignore, which is confusing. There's also times where if someone who has ignored you makes a post and it's the first on the new page, you see nothing on that page until someone else posts. At first I was dumbfounded and thought posters were just trolling me or that the site was malfunctioning, but once I figured out what was going on it becomes a bit easier to navigate.

From a personal user experience, it's not the greatest because it really muddies up some of the threads where I'm missing huge chunks of conversations and people are responding to posts I cant' see. I also feel like it will be inevitable that posts regarding the same tweets, news updates either off topic or in the hoops section will be shared multiple times since I can't see what others are posting.

All in all, while it's not ideal for me personally, I understand it from the board's perspective. This is a way to find a balance in keeping posters on the board and eliminating personal disputes and posting frustrations. I also recognize i"m in the extreme minority when it comes to even experiencing the 2-way ignore, so it's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things since this really only impacts and maybe 1-2 other people. It's probably best for the board and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
It happens all the time where people post the same news because they can’t see it has already been shared. Not really a big deal.

But I agree with you that it makes threads a little confusing at times. I was getting annoyed because I use the ‘New Posts’ feature, and it was showing me threads that had no new posts. Took me a while to figure out there were new posts I couldn’t see. So I took people off ignore and have gone back to ignoring the old-fashioned way.

Chat is the arena where ignore is very useful for me.

Great feature. I fundamentally don't believe in ignoring someone, but it saves my goose, so I'm down.

I believe I am on 5 ignores (3 to whom I refer as Los Tres Amigos), which is fine (and hilarious to me), but it doesn't alter my experience. If I want the type of sauce those posters are peddling, I can always read Jacobin or The Devil's Den. There's nothing really unique about assuming worst case and being a miserable cheap critic. The wisest person I've ever known told me 10 years ago that if you're not making people angry, you're doing something wrong. It's part and parcel to the disruption of the status quo.

I do think it'd be all-time great entertainment if we occasionally removed the feature for a day or two and let the personalities clash. It would certainly be explosive, because there is legitimate unhinged hatred on one side.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom