Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Javin DeLaurier

This guy is the Spartan killer. He killed them last year in the Elite Eight and again tonight. He slays Spartans.

Guy is absolutely worthless until he plays Michigan State. This is probably fine. I'll take him getting a double-double against Michigan State every year. If we play them again in the NCAA Tournament, we are guaranteed a beastly Javin DeLaurier.

After not missing a shot in several games, Javin is back to being a positive overall player. His defensive numbers are even better than last year, despite a lower block percentage. His BPM is over 10 yet again.

A guy like Javin might be the ultimate litmus test for advanced stats vs. eye test. By the eye test, he's awful. By the advanced numbers, godly. His 10.9 career BPM must be the highest on record for a player who played more than a season at Duke. His 120/90 ORTG/DRTG splits must give him the best career net rating.

Probably something to be said about how advanced stats overvalue big guys who take all their shots at the rim. I mean looking at PER and WS/48 you’d think Enes Kanter was an MVP candidate.

Of course Javin’s defense is solid, although that’s mired by the constant hacking. Still a confounding player 4 years into his Duke career.

There's also the fact that so much of what he does on defense is "measurable." Blocks, defensive rebounds, steals. So yeah, accumulate a bunch of defensive counting stats and never miss shots while playing on really good teams and you're going to look like a great player.

His usage has definitely dropped. He's still at a career high 16%. But at the start of the season he was well over 20%. That might not be so much a function of fewer shots as fewer turnovers though.

But mostly I've noticed an improvement in the type of shots he's taking. Seems like he was trying to do too much early. Maybe he felt that as a senior he had to be more than a role player for this team.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think he probably felt being a team leader required an expansion of his offensive game. Now that he has settled back into what he's good at, he's back to being a positive player again.

Your explanations re: Javin's early play seem very likely. Sometimes the guys put too much pressure on themselves to elevate/expand their game.

Over his last three games Javin has committed one foul in 46 minutes of playing time. That might be even more encouraging than his improved shot making/shot selection. It's not like the opponents have been terrible.

Vernon is so good that I really dont worry about Javin's fouls - Vernon should be bogarting 30mpg leaving just 10mpg for javin - he can average 7 fouls/40min and still not be at risk of fouling out given the miniscule number of minutes that he needs to play. Of course if K insists on keeping Vernon at 23mpg, Javin would only need to limit his fouls to 6/40min - for this reason I am much more thrilled with the improved shot selection

Well, so far K is not increasing Vernon's minutes. I'm operating under the assumption that he will continue to play his senior captain. I'm also operating under the assumption that fouls are bad for more reasons than keeping a player off the floor. FTs are often the most efficient shots in the sport. And even if Javin is largely fouling players before shot attempts, that leads to the other team being in the bonus faster.

Lastly, I think getting in foul trouble often affects Javin's all-around performance. But that's harder to quantify.

Posting this midgame but he’s cost us like 10 points by doubling the ball and leaving his man wide open under the hoop.

He was big defensively at the end of the game. Why isn’t he always just like that?

He sucked and then the announcer said he was a star in his role and then he was a beast

Was that Corey who said that? And was it also Corey who said during the broadcast that he didn't care about all those plus this and minus that analytical numbers, he knew what he saw on the floor? Or something like that.
ACCN motto should be something like "The ACCN, Where the 1990's Never Die"

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom