Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kentucky Post Game Reaction

Topher

All American
http://www.duke-forum.com/blog/kentucky-post-game-reaction/

Man, I like this team.

One of the things I look for in any Duke squad is the player that has the balls to step in the big moments, seize the momentum-swinging chances, and bury his foil. More often than not, its a senior whose will was forged in the fiery furnace of demands under the watchful eye of Coach K.

We saw how the pressure and criticism finally turned the coal version of Brian Zoubek into the best damn rebounding diamond in Durham in a long, long time.

Some players seek it but do not feel its full effects like Austin Rivers did.

Some players wilt under the pressure and cry mercy.

For the last three years, I wondered what would happen to both Seth Curry and Mason Plumlee under these circumstances. The former is so laid back and cool on the court, you have a hard time believing he cares about winning or losing. The latter was so raw, you wondered if the skill would ever catch up to the athleticism.

On Tuesday night, both showed that they have in fact emerged as savvy seniors that knew when to apply aggression and that their team needed them.

That isn't to forget the third senior, Ryan Kelly, who perhaps performed as well as anyone in the game. Kelly, who struggled to score early in the game, played near flawless helpside defense, playing the defensive switches well enough to deny entry passes to Noel and Cauley-Stein.

His, rather all three of the seniors, confidence was perhaps the biggest tell that this team has definitively evolved from last season. Just look back to the game in Columbus last season when all three failed to get off the bus as Duke basically played 2 on 5. While I'm obviously cherry-picking a bit, at the very least, we know that when the seniors show up, they can be dangerously effective on both ends of the court.

However, I'm not going to sit here and tell you everything is sunshine and boobs.

The most glaring issue Duke dealt with last night was foul trouble. Mostly due to terrible perimeter defending which allowed Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress to drive, at will, into the paint and create contact. Some of the foul issues will get alleviated when Marshall Plumlee comes back but lets be real. Something needs to improve on the arc or the Ghost of CJ McCollum won't be put completely behind us. Athletic and quick guards will continue to drive and take out our best post options with foul trouble.

On the other hand, I'm sure K is like "fuck it, I'll play Josh Hairston at the 5 and you bitches can bring it."

Speaking of, how about a huge ovation for Jiggy?? I see you Josh, bodying up Noel, pushing him off the block, denying the ball as if he caught it you would be shot by a sniper. I see you Josh, hitting the offensive glass like it stole your corndogs. You played out of your mind, easily your best game in a Duke uniform.

One line in my game notes reads: I want to hug Josh Hairston, he is blossoming like a husky rose.

Your heart and hustle was on full display Josh, fucking bravo.

Frankly, I'm not sure much else needs to be said. This team's heart shined on the big stage, in front of a championship-type crowd, against a championship-caliber team. Sure, Thornton's offense was sloppy, Cook made a few poor choices, and Alex Murphy has been body-snatched but the cohesive unit that we've been missing showed up, balled hard, and got the W.

This is a team I can get behind.

Some other of my game notes:

Tyler Thornton did a great job defending Poythress in spurts. Thornton was unable to contain him off the boards but was great in ball denial. From the offensive side, Thornton contributed little and was in pretty poor form.

I found it interesting to note that Seth started out initiating the offense for much of the 1st half with Thornton on the floor. Of course, K turned out to be right as Seth's ability to penetrate the lane was fantastic last night and Thornton seemed unable to create anything.

Mason got the ball on the low block 10 times which led to, by my count, 12 of his 18 points. The lack of rebounding is kind of alarming but Duke went in more of a team-rebounding effort than relying on just Mase.

UK showed out early with more energy and focus as Duke couldnt buy a basket or execute any kind of offensive set. Passes were being denied and tipped inside preventing Mason from a lot of clean touches. It was fantastic to see Duke absorb this early punch to the mouth as well as the comeback late in the game. Shows great mental fortitude.

Duke was great on the fast break, converting on 5 of 8 opportunities for 12 points. One of the failed conversions was Jiggy getting fouled, another was that 3 on 2 that Quinn blew. Otherwise, we did very well in transition and if we had a little more depth, I'd have liked to see it more.

I loved how at the end of the game UK was dunking everything and Duke would just go down, work the ball around, and finish with 2 points in some ugly, cool fashion. 2 pts is 2 pts and it was classic Duke.

Nice write up Toph.

We have 2 really good SG's.

Sulaimon is already a leader.

Jiggy playing with smart-hustle is huge for the team.

I think the versatility of this team will be really helpful through the season. While I preferred when we loaded the front court last night, I was also impressed when we had three guards on the floor (and it could be more important with the progressive space cadet like activity of Murphy). Also, anyone else think that Curry and Sulaimon were pretty effective on the defensive end when both were in the game?

Dan Dakich, an extraordinary analyst for ESPN, made that declaration while working Tuesday’s Xavier-Butler game. Perhaps he was weary from staying up all night watching the network’s 24-hour college hoops marathon, but that didn’t seem to be the case because his work on XU’s victory was typically excellent.

So let’s just say everyone gets one wrong once in a while.

Duke center Mason Plumlee is superior athletically. Even as well as IU's Cody Zeller runs the court—as well as any big man of the past decade—Plumlee supersedes him in terms of jumping ability, lateral movement and even balance. But Plumlee lacks the same degree of skill and often exhibits little confidence in what skill he has.

Before picking up his fourth foul ahead of the 16-minute mark of the second half, Plumlee twice had the ball isolated on the block against Noel. Duke had cleared plenty of space for him, and the Wildcats weren’t dropping down to dig at the ball, so Plumlee had all the room he needed to make a move. Each time he bounced the ball to try to create leverage—he handles it well—but each time he wound up unable to make an aggressive move into a shot and had to bail out with a pass to the perimeter.

No jump-hook. No up-and-under. No drop-step. Just a pass.We’ve seen him make the jump-hook. At the very least, he has that. And yet when matched with an elite defender, he lacked the belief he could get off that shot.

That puts so much pressure on Duke to make jump shots or execute flawlessly. (Which, by the way, the Devils did once Plumlee was out.) The team would be better if it could rely on Plumlee not to produce—which he did against UK, with 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting—but to bring a consistent offensive post presence to the Duke attack.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... on-plumlee

What a weird analysis. Didn't those 2 passes result in 6 points? I'm pretty sure that Mason pretty much owned Noel offensively in that game, and if not for foul trouble would have had 25 points

1) I'm fairly certain Mason drew in another defender for those plays
2) Regardless, he turned his 1 on 1 situation against a great shotblocker into a wide open three pointer...twice.

Only if you want it to be a bad thing, is it one.

Its like bitching about Seth not dunking when he makes a lay-up and saying that Curry hasn't showed any determination or growth athletically.

I loved Mason's kickouts. He's just so smart about when to make a post move and when to pass.

The plays were exactly right. K couldn't have diagrammed it better.

Jiggy is the man for stepping in during crunch time and giving great, productive minutes.

LOL Lil Wayne cussed out Sheed last night from the stands hater.

Nice write-up, Toph. I thought it was encouraging to see the team step up effectively when Mason went out. That UK then made it close when he came back in is telling, though: despite all of Mason's improvement and our focus on getting him the ball, it still isn't always w/in the flow of the game. It's as if the other guys on the floor realize how necessary they are when Mason is out, then forget they're still important when he comes back in.

Dattier, I think a good portion of their run came off of Mason not being able to play solid defense. They went at him like three plays in a row, knowing that if he played tight defense it would likely get called and he'd be out.

ChibCU said:
Dattier, I think a good portion of their run came off of Mason not being able to play solid defense. They went at him like three plays in a row, knowing that if he played tight defense it would likely get called and he'd be out.
Yeah, I agree. When Mason came back in the next few plays were: Entry pass to Noel, Entry pass to Noel, Goodwin drive towards Mason, Poythress drive towards Mason. With 4 fouls and still a good bit of time left, Mason was as passive as possible really. If he was only at 3 or 2, obviously he'd have been much more aggressive on D and that run might not have happened.

Yeah, that's true. Our O lost its rhythm a bit, too, though.

Oh, and you mentioned about all UK's dunks: I also liked how we didn't let them rattle us, but even bigger than one game, I like how we will take being susceptible to backdoors in exchange for the pressure it puts on the other team. Obviously it's not good to get backdoored a lot, but if the other team commits a turnover and a bad shot for every successful backdoor, they win the highlight reel but not the game. I like that.

Topher said:
Tyler Thornton did a great job defending Poythress in spurts. Thornton was unable to contain him off the boards but was great in ball denial. From the offensive side, Thornton contributed little and was in pretty poor form.

I found it interesting to note that Seth started out initiating the offense for much of the 1st half with Thornton on the floor. Of course, K turned out to be right as Seth's ability to penetrate the lane was fantastic last night and Thornton seemed unable to create anything.

All part of my plan to turn Thornton into a SF. :mrgreen:

I thought he really came alive in general during our run that put us up double digits, though. He had an uncredited assist to Seth (missed the open layup, made the FTs), went down and got the defensive rebound, then assisted on a three pointer.

I'd be cool with just giving Quinn the first 24 minutes and him the last 16...

Dattier said:
Yeah, that's true. Our O lost its rhythm a bit, too, though.

Oh, and you mentioned about all UK's dunks: I also liked how we didn't let them rattle us, but even bigger than one game, I like how we will take being susceptible to backdoors in exchange for the pressure it puts on the other team. Obviously it's not good to get backdoored a lot, but if the other team commits a turnover and a bad shot for every successful backdoor, they win the highlight reel but not the game. I like that.

They had 9 dunks! It was a bit much, but like you said, to be able to win a road game (essentially) with that many high energy highlight plays for the other team is encouraging.

I was really impressed by how confidently K went to the bench. Murphy seemed to get an olive branch from K, and then Jiggy and Amile came in a balled hard. I think Murphy and Amile look a little lost on D right now, but they will both be solid contributors if they stay in the mix. If Marshall is ready to play, we go 9 deep.

DSC_4761-L.jpg

I don't mean to be that guy, but while I'm obviously thrilled with how most of our guys stepped up and that we won, I'm a little discouraged by the implications of last night.

The writing's on the wall - contrary to all of the talk about getting bigger and longer, finally having versatile forwards to use, we are going to be the exact same team as last year, with 6'4 Sulaimon taking 6'4 Rivers' place, 6'0 Cook possibly taking 6'1 Thornton's place, and everyone a year older.

It's already pretty obvious that Sulaimon is going to be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. Of course, despite being our best on-ball defender and a prototypical SG/PG - who would have an advantage physically at either position - the only spot for him is at SF, where he's undersized and his quickness doesn't mean as much. Same problem as last year. Murphy and AJ are clearly the 9th and 10th men in the rotation at this point, which means they won't see many minutes once the bench shortens unless they jump someone like Hairston.

Don't get me wrong, the above is still a really solid team (as evidenced by last night). However, like last year, we are going to have to make up for physical deficiencies on the perimeter by shooting threes, fishing for charges down low in help defense rather than contesting high, and relying on our bigs to provide almost all of the rim protection, rebounding and scoring at the rim.

It's just not a style of basketball I'm crazy about and it gives you much less margin for error in execution, but it's what K seems to favor these days.

#FWP

I think the odds were always going to be very very low that AJ and Murphy were going to play serious minutes in such an intense game in a hostile environment in November. Even if the initial idea was to give them a spell in the first half and a spell in the second, it was pretty clear by halftime that this game was too tense to entrust to the kids (and yeah, Rasheed is treated differently here, and for good reason).

Shane Ryan appearance on TDD. Addressing NCCU an DSon. One of you should tell him his article is Jesuit Bukake.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom