Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Khaman Maluach

I will say from the highlights half his blocks would be called goaltend in college so he’s got to learn some better judgement on that.

As the resident diehard Uganda City Oilers fan, I am happy to report that Maluach might actually not suck. Just had 27 and 16 and a couple blocks to lead our beloved Oilers to a 1-point upset win against the JUGGERNAUT of the BAL Nile Conference, who had previously lost one league game in the last two years.

I think the level of competition is better than HS ball. Most of the players seem to have played college at some point, at least. Probably less pure speed and athleticism than a Montverde type of game, but more physicality.

Maluach's hands aren't terrible, but they're not always as good as I'd like. He also swats down too much and too early instead of staying vertical. Overall, he seems to do a good job of being a huge guy, though, and crashes the boards well and has some skill. Also made several threes that looked legit - bricked a couple that he rushed, but a set corner three looks like a good shot for him.

There are pretty good advanced stats available here, surprisingly. Was about 22% TReb and 10% block coming into today. ORtg was 115 or so, but his 25% usage included some "NBA draftee told to push his comfort zone in summer league" stuff that wouldn't happen at Duke.

I'm not sure how relevant the counting or rate stats are, since we don't have much basis for comparison. But it does seem like if he was a 17 year-old Euro guy doing this against 30 year-old pros with similar resumes in Croatia or something, it would be a big deal from a draft scouting standpoint.

Wow, that video is impressive.

I hope we legitimately let him shoot threes. Not a ton, of course, but don’t discourage him from shooting them like it seems we have with other bigs (unless he, like so many before him, gets to Duke and suddenly loses all confidence and/or forgets how to shoot). Seems like a real weapon to let him stretch the floor in the corner while we run PnR with Flagg in the middle of the floor, with Maluach then crashing in behind from there. Does this sound like a disaster?

Willing to believe Hoop Summit was an anomaly for Maluach. Maybe it was the environment - didn’t want to step on toes or make his peers look bad in what he considered to be a joke all-star showcase game like the NBA version. Maybe he was doing international travel and jet lagged. He did absolutely nothing productive in that game against small children.

In one of the Maluach clips, an announcer mentioned that the average age in their league is 37.
I'm withholding my opinion about him until I've seen him playing against people who are neither children nor senior citizens.

In one of the Maluach clips, an announcer mentioned that the average age in their league is 37.
I'm withholding my opinion about him until I've seen him playing against people who are neither children nor senior citizens.
There's no way that's right. Which clip was that?

There's no way that's right. Which clip was that?

Not sure which but it was last week. They were talking about how much younger he was than most of the other league players and then threw that average age number out there.
I don't know, maybe he's the only player in the league under 28 or maybe the announcer was just making up numbers.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom