Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Kyle “Flip” Filipowski

"They don't call him 'Two-Hip Flip' for nothing," Scheyer joked with the media during his press conference in Cameron Indoor Stadium on Wednesday. "He can bend. He can move his feet. He can jump. He's more explosive.

"And it's really remarkable when you think about the season that he had despite not being able to move in the way that he's capable of...He's told me that he feels freer, more explosive...He's a new-and-improved Flip."

All-taller than 6’8 team
When we had Jeff Goodman on our pod recently, he brought up a good point. The big men who are getting drafted are the ones who are able to shoot, defend multiple positions, and/or handle the ball. This has led to a lot of bigs staying in college longer than guards and wings, which is why for multiple years running you've seen the preseason lists dominated by big men.

Hopefully it was just the matchup, but Flip was getting the crap beat out of him tonight. Not as in playing badly, but as in getting physically pummeled. He hit the deck a whole lot of times and took some shots.

Not sure I feel great about him making it through a whole season of that without wearing down. Wonder if we eventually see some iterations of Mitchell-Stewart-Flip lineups to give him some more help in the paint in matchups like this.

Hopefully it was just the matchup, but Flip was getting the crap beat out of him tonight. Not as in playing badly, but as in getting physically pummeled. He hit the deck a whole lot of times and took some shots.

Not sure I feel great about him making it through a whole season of that without wearing down. Wonder if we eventually see some iterations of Mitchell-Stewart-Flip lineups to give him some more help in the paint in matchups like this.
So a replay of the Tennessee game? Or perhaps not as flagrant?

Not as flagrant, but he was getting knocked around.

Not as dirty feeling as that game, but he was also matching up against their enormous, bruising 5s all game, instead of 4s like last year.

He did get a lot of points off pick and rolls/pops, which is the flip side, of course.

Maybe two hips are not better than one.
How many double- doubles has Flip had this season?
I think there are some between-the-ears issues with Flip, mainly at the start of games, but there's no way he's playing worse.

His rebounding rates are basically the same as last year (10.4 Off / 24.6 Def last year; 9.0 Off / 24.8 Def this year), but his offensive stats are a lot better:

123 ORtg (105 last year)
57.4 eFG% (48.1 last year)
14.1 ast% and 8.1 turnover% (11.0 and 18.4 last year)
6.2 block% (2.6 last year)
42.1 FT rate (39.6 last year).

And to answer your actual question, he's only had two double-doubles in 7 games this year, but they have come in the two most recent games, so maybe he's there's some momentum there.

Maybe two hips are not better than one.
How many double- doubles has Flip had this season?
I think there are some between-the-ears issues with Flip, mainly at the start of games, but there's no way he's playing worse.

His rebounding rates are basically the same as last year (10.4 Off / 24.6 Def last year; 9.0 Off / 24.8 Def this year), but his offensive stats are a lot better:

123 ORtg (105 last year)
57.4 eFG% (48.1 last year)
14.1 ast% and 8.1 turnover% (11.0 and 18.4 last year)
6.2 block% (2.6 last year)
42.1 FT rate (39.6 last year).

And to answer your actual question, he's only had two double-doubles in 7 games this year, but they have come in the two most recent games, so maybe he's there's some momentum there.
One thing to keep in mind is that he's missing fewer shots at the rim. This means fewer offensive rebounding opportunities. A lot of Flip's offensive rebounds were of his own misses. I don't have his rim percentage numbers, but his 2pt percentage is up from 50.5% (bad for a big man who doesn't shoot a lot of midrange shots) to 61%.

Up to 37% from 3 this season, and now his stats profile is all-around monstrous. This is the first time I’ve believed he’s a truly great college player rather than “Okafor great.”

With Mitchell coming around, Scheyer has plenty of good options for lineup construction. I’d still want to see more of Filipowski with the four guards. Mid-to-high 30s for 3pt shooting should be sustainable for a mid-70s career FT shooter, and that’s good enough for the center in an elite offense.

Last edited:
I thought this last game may have been the best of his career when you factor in his defense. He was a monster in a switching scheme. We should maybe make switching the backbone of our defense. He ended up switched on a guard at least half a dozen times in the first half and they couldn't get any kind of advantage.

The other candidates for best game are both in the ACCT last year. Versus Pitt (again) he went 8-10 for 22 points. But he somehow had zero rebounds and one assist in that game. And versus Miami, he went 8-9 for 17 pts with 11 rebounds and 5 assists. But I think 26 pts and 10 reb on 11-12 shooting while playing awesome defense still gets the edge, despite those games being more important wins overall.

I don't know if I was imagining it, but it felt like we generally had him out in the perimeter more with Mitchell loitering around the rim in the dunker spot, which is absolutely what our offense should be (if we're not running four guards).

There's a role for Flip post touches as well, but it's harder with Mitchell in the game. Put Mark in the Lively spot, use Flip use a queen and floor spacer, and let our guards be good.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom