Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Marvin Bagley III

If he's on par with Jonathan Isaac last season, that's good enough to give Duke a big boost. The notion of Bolden and Carter together in the frontcourt for 30 minutes has always been and will continue to be disgusting.

Most importantly, can Bagley hard hedge 30 feet from the rim. I need highlight vids of THAT.

At one point earlier this season his AAU team was 0-9. Can someone confirm for me he was playing with absolute total dog shit teammates? Something isn't adding up.

I don't much care if Bagley's AAU team was 0-9. Winning for an individual basketball player-at any level- is a lot like W for pitchers in baseball to me. It's very subservient to other measures.

Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz didn't even make the NCAA tournament. It's a team sport, and we already have a good, top-10ish team.

I didn't recognize a single name on Bagley's AAU team outside of he and his brother (and I follow recruiting for the top couple hundred prospects pretty closely)

Bagley averaged 25 ppg and 15 rpg. Nobody else was in double digits for either metric.

There are two guys averaging 7 ppg on his AAU team, which is the 2nd highest total.

One is the 107th-ranked player in the 2018 class and the other looks like Brennan Besser.

Isaac shot 35% from 3 and 78% from FT, which Bagley ain't gonna do. I think Bagley is stronger and in another league athletically, but Isaac was more of a legitimate perimeter player.

There are 15 teams in the ACC. That equates to roughly 60, hi major D1 players per HS recruiting class. The 107th ranked player would be a great get for most D1 programs.

Bagley/Carter Jr front court is going to be so incredible. I think it's quite a bit better than the original Carter/Bamba dream based on the versatility on both ends.

It shouldn't be a surprise to see the nation's top recruit here. Marvin Bagley, a 6-foot-11 power forward out of Chatsworth (Calif.) Sierra Canyon, is a cheat code at the high school level and despite not having a team full of talent, Bagley can carry them, just as he did at Peach Jam, where they won more games in three days than they had all EYBL season. Bagley's versatility, athleticism, physical gifts, mixed with his skill, ability to score in a variety of ways and rebounding make him the best prospect in high school hoops. Bagley averaged 24.6 points and 14 rebounds through five games in the event. Bagley was also quite efficient, making 42 of his 84 field goal attempts.

I'm expecting something between freshman Blake Griffin (5.6 win shares) and sophomore Blake Griffin (9.7 win shares). Sports-reference.com doesn't have any better stat than win shares from Griffin's seasons.

Highest win shares on Duke 2017 were Kennard 7.2, Jefferson 4.9, Allen 4.2, Tatum 4.1. Highest on Duke 2015 were Cook 6.8, Okafor 6.7, T. Jones 6.5, Winslow 5.5. Anything in the 7-8 range would probably make Bagley the best player on a title contender or the best player by far on an underachieving dud. That would be solid.

Similar to Griffin, Bagley doesn't sound like a player who will be perimeter-oriented enough to carry a team to the highest levels offensively, even if he has decent passing and handling. Playing with Grayson Allen would serve him well, both in terms of flourishing as a non-1st option on offense and in terms of staying under the radar from Duke hate. I believe there's still a good chance Bagley chooses to play with Derryck Thornton instead of Grayson Allen, however, since he may believe Thornton is the better player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean, what do you think of my comparison of a more athletic Jared Sullinger?

Sullinger averaged 17 and 10 as a freshman and had 8.3 win shares.

That team went 34-3 and lost in the Sweet 16 to Kentucky.

I think Bagley will have a (much) better supporting cast.

Would be great if he put up Sullinger's numbers and Duke were as good as those OSU teams - #1 and #2 on KenPom during Sullinger's years - but I would hope he is not the same kind of post-up-exclusive player with lack of versatility on defense.

I am hoping for Bagley to be the kind of center who catches lots of lobs off PnR, makes the occasional open short jumper at around 40-45% for 2s and makes the occasional open 3 at around 30-33% to keep defenses spaced, passes out of double teams without many turnovers for open 3s, and draws fouls while putting back rebounds and creating offense in the very low post, all while being the best rebounder in the country and a valuable defender due to versatility/switching ability. That's a really good player for Duke, given what K wants to do on both ends of the court. I'm not sure many people here would enjoy watching a Duke team with Sullinger or Okafor sucking everything on the court into them.

Personally I still see Carter as the better offensive option. Also, I'm not sure if Bagley is the center and Carter is the PF or vice versa. Maybe it doesn't matter, assuming they're on the floor together most of the time.

Reading the write-up above....I guess it depends on what shots he was taking, but 42-84 doesn't strike me as that efficient for the #1 interior player on the high school level.

Duke up to 58% on the crystal ball. Chris Fisher, a Kentucky writer, just put one in.

Officially 2 days until the visit starts.

Wherever in Durham he is this weekend, I will find him, and I will suck his dick. You have my word.

Suck his dick and tell him to not reclassify but commit for 2018. Just my preference. Thanks.

Someone explain to me what makes him can't miss for us. Is he an absolutely dominant rebounder + rim protector? Cause i'm not seeing any kind of shot making ability that would qualify him as such on offense. Not that as it stands he wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Bolden, but what about his game play *now* is making scouts' dicks so hard?

DurhamSon said:
Someone explain to me what makes him can't miss for us. Is he an absolutely dominant rebounder + rim protector? Cause i'm not seeing any kind of shot making ability that would qualify him as such on offense. Not that as it stands he wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Bolden, but what about his game play *now* is making scouts' dicks so hard?

He's a very good rebounder, has a decent midrange game, can hit the occasional three, and cleans up everything at the rim.

I saw someone say he's a taller Winslow with a better jumpshot.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom