Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ohio State at Duke - Wednesday, Nov 28, 9:30pm ESPN

SeanMayTriedToEatMe

Legend
Return the favor?

img16289378.jpg

Ohio State is 4-0 with the 297th strongest schedule.

Ohio State Kenpom.com rankings:

#7 overall
#6 offense
#14 defense
#151 tempo

Preseason All-American Teams:

First team
G Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
G Peyton Siva, Louisville
F Doug McDermott, Creighton
F Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
C Cody Zeller, Indiana

Second team
G Trey Burke, Michigan
G Aaron Craft, Ohio State
G C.J. McCollum, Lehigh
G Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State
F C.J. Leslie, N.C. State

Third team
G Pierre Jackson, Baylor
G Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
G Michael Snaer, Florida State
F Otto Porter, Georgetown
F Mike Moser, UNLV

Fourth team
G B.J. Young, Arkansas
G Lorenzo Brown, N.C. State
G Nate Wolters, South Dakota State
F James Michael McAdoo, North Carolina
C Nerlens Noel, Kentucky

Fifth team
G Matthew Dellavedova, Saint Mary’s
G D.J. Cooper, Ohio
F Alex Poythress, Kentucky
F Rodney McGruder, Kansas State
F Tony Mitchell, North Texas

I feel good about this one. I have no idea who guards Thomas, but no one else on that team is a match up problem. Having said that, Craft will go for 25 and Lenzelle Smith will hit 7 3's.

Team might be tired. At least it is at home this year.

On a separate note, lol at the media underrating us at the beginning of the year. No one on any all-american preseason team and the initial rating. I hope this team keeps the intensity and chip on their shoulders.

Thomas will be a nightmare and Craft is a really steady player. Not sure what to expect from OSU in terms of rebounding and post play

Was looking at the AA list. CJ Leslie has so much talent but he appears to be a headcase

We would lose on the road. Classic scenario of one big game too many.

With home court advantage, we have a much better shot. Unless it's the sucky home court advantage of last year.

DeShaun Thomas is gonna go for like 26 and 12...this is where Mason can really impress some people for AA consideration if he plays well and counters Thomas.

I don't see how K can get around using Amile or Murphy here. Kelly or Sulaimon are helpless against Thomas. If Sulaimon does handle Thomas defensively along with his usual offensive thing on this big stage, then he's probably on his way to the lottery. So it's lose-lose for Duke. Just put Amile on him.

Kelly on Thomas last season resulted in 0-2 fg, 0 points, 3 rebounds for Kelly, 8-12 fg, 18 points, 5 rebounds for Thomas.

If fatigue gets us, it will be mental, not physical.

Hopefully, they don't have as awesome a gameplan as last year. Hopefully some of our upperclassmen are still angry about that game. I think we win, but I am also extremely bullish about Duke right now.

rome8180 said:
If fatigue gets us, it will be mental, not physical.

Hopefully, they don't have as awesome a gameplan as last year. Hopefully some of our upperclassmen are still angry about that game. I think we win, but I am also extremely bullish about Duke right now.

Is Paulus still on the bench?

Yes. Paulus will be undefeated against the coach who crushed his confidence.

DukeBlue4Life said:
not having Mason on any of those preseason AA teams is a joke.
Nah, it was a fair omission. It's surprising in retrospect, but let's give him credit for improvements.

What's our OOC home winning streak?

they really don't scare me. they have thomas, who is a nightmare for us, and craft, who is an excellent defender, but not much after that. mostly just unskilled athletes. i agree that this is the test to see A) if kelly has really improved defensively and B) if k is willing to switch things up and play amile or murphy on thomas. guarding thomas will be good preparation for guarding mcadoo.

im not buying the fatigue thing. they will have 3 full days in Durham before the game to get their legs back. this isnt like last year, traveling so far from maui, then having to travel to columbus. also, with last year's loss, the home crowd, and a month of "meh" games, they should be pumped up.

Do we expect OSU to shoot even better against Duke's bad matchup defense (allowed OSU to shoot 57% in last year's game) or do we expect some regression?

Last edited by a moderator:
They were 33.3% last season. Among returning players, most of their attempts came from Thomas, Smith, and Craft. This year, they've accounted for 53 of the team's 67 attempts.

Thomas
2012: .345
2013: .480

Smith
2012: .378
2013: .615

Craft
2012: .359
2013: .467

So yeah, they'll regress eventually. Whether it starts tomorrow, who knows.

K will never do this, but either a 3-2 zone or a box+1 makes a lot of sense with Duke's normal lineup (with Kelly) against OSU. Put Sulaimon at the top of the zone or as the "1" in the box+1 on Craft. Kelly and Mason at the bottom of the zone or box.

It makes sense for the 3 guards + Kelly + Plumlee lineup in general, but it's not the Duke way of playing defense and I don't think these players have tried these schemes even once in practice.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom