Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Patrick Ngongba

Does anyone have a definitive pronunciation of his name? I've been saying "Gong-buh" but with a slight "N" sound just before the G.

Does anyone have a definitive pronunciation of his name? I've been saying "Gong-buh" but with a slight "N" sound just before the G.
Me too, but apparently the N is fully silent. TIL.

Not sure I'll be able to make this adjustment though, I just feel like he's pronouncing his own name wrong.

I suspect that's an Americanization because Americans can't do that kind of consonant combination.

One thing I like that Travis Branham mentioned is that Ngongba rose from 98th to 20th over the last season. I always prefer a late riser to a guy who's falling in the standings or has stagnated coming into college.

One thing I like that Travis Branham mentioned is that Ngongba rose from 98th to 20th over the last season. I always prefer a late riser to a guy who's falling in the standings or has stagnated coming into college.
He also mentioned losing 25 pounds recently as part of "reshaping" his body after injuries and all that. I think my main hope is that that continues and he actually looks reasonably athletic by the time he gets to college - even just like KAT-tier - rather than more of a below the rim plodder.

His shot actually looks pretty good here. Maybe there's actually hope he'll be more Wendell than Lively in that area:

He also mentioned losing 25 pounds recently as part of "reshaping" his body after injuries and all that. I think my main hope is that that continues and he actually looks reasonably athletic by the time he gets to college - even just like KAT-tier - rather than more of a below the rim plodder.

His shot actually looks pretty good here. Maybe there's actually hope he'll be more Wendell than Lively in that area:

I mean, I know we've had this discussion before but you can be an impactful defender without athleticism. And you can be a bad defender with athleticism. And defense is mostly what I want out of a big anyway.

This article says he has a 7'4" wingspan. That's great for his size. So that may help.

Also, they must have had most of this article already written. Published at 3:06 with a bunch of quotes in it.

Yeah, I think his jumper is becoming a weapon. I remember in the midst of his rise a number of scouts mentioned he’d be guy that can pull centers out of the paint because of his growth as a shooter. Would love to see some pick and pop opportunities for him with Flagg or just using Flagg as a screener with a guard while Ngongba pulls someone from the paint in the corner.

I mean, I know we've had this discussion before but you can be an impactful defender without athleticism. And you can be a bad defender with athleticism. And defense is mostly what I want out of a big anyway.

This article says he has a 7'4" wingspan. That's great for his size. So that may help.

Same, but how many giant freshman bigs who are below the rim blodders are positive overall defenders? Not impossible, but more lateral and vertical athleticism would sure help his odds. The length is a nice starting point, at least.

Same, but how many giant freshman bigs who are below the rim blodders are positive overall defenders? Not impossible, but more lateral and vertical athleticism would sure help his odds. The length is a nice starting point, at least.

I would argue that Vernon Carey, Wendell Carter, and Shelden Williams weren't great athletes. And I thought all of them played great defense at Duke as freshmen.

I get the freshman point, but I'm not really expecting him to make a big impact as a freshman regardless. And when you start getting into upperclassman territory, you can find even more bigs who played great defense while being limited athletically.

Yeah, I'm not that worried about his ability to figure it out as an upperclassman. Seems like a nice long-term piece, and a good fit with the "behemoth one-in + four smaller guys" trend. I'm just all-in on the Flagg szn right now and mainly thinking about him in that context.

(To be clear, I've also never even seen him play an actual game, so I don't have any very strong opinions about him yet. For all I know, he may be my next Bolden.)

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom