Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Tyrese Proctor

For whatever reason, that is missing the Miami game this week, in which he went 1-3 from 3. Seems like he and Whitehead should be our go-to shooters.

Roach was 24% 3pt through January freshman season, then 39% from February through March.

As a sophomore, he was 32% and 36% over those same periods. Admittedly I’m cherry-picking a bit by excluding the one game from April last season.

This season, he was 34% through January and has been 75% starting in February.

Objectively, this is nothing but small sample size noise. If you want to hold out some hope for Roach becoming Dame Lillard for the rest of his Duke career, there’s some basis in that.

I thought this was Proctor's best game. He's had games where he's scored more, but I thought this was his best combination of scoring, playmaking, and defense. The defense especially jumped out to me. He was fantastic on Girard -- containing him off the dribble, fighting through screens, etc.

Yes, I know he went 5-9 and had 21 points. But a couple of those made baskets were on Roach, a couple were ridiculous lucky bounces, and one of the times he was "fouled" on a 3pt attempted was bullshit.

In an alternate reality, Nolan would have lured Roach to Lville and we'd have been livid about it.
We would have been very wrong and would probably never realize how lucky we were.

Yea, I'm in total agreement with all of the haters on Roach's flaws but I'm glad we have him. He's useful as a guy who can create his own shot on the perimeter. We haven't really had anyone else capable of doing that consistently this year due to Whitehead's injuries and Proctor's shooting struggles early on.

Having said that, there are some matchups where I'd rather we just put more size at the 2/3 with Whitehead/Grandison and reduce Roach's minutes.

Yea, I'm in total agreement with all of the haters on Roach's flaws but I'm glad we have him. He's useful as a guy who can create his own shot on the perimeter. We haven't really had anyone else capable of doing that consistently this year due to Whitehead's injuries and Proctor's shooting struggles early on.

Having said that, there are some matchups where I'd rather we just put more size at the 2/3 with Whitehead/Grandison and reduce Roach's minutes.
I mostly wish the coaches would respect his defensive ability a bit less. I usually don't have an issue with him being out there offensively, given the options. But we often allow him to guard a good player for long stretches of the game. If any perimeter player is a real threat, Proctor or Mitchell should be on him. Or even play Blakes a bit more, though that runs the risk of torpedoing the offense.

To be clear, he's not as bad defensively as he used to be. But he's still pretty limited. And I recognize that sometimes a team will have multiple good guards, so he's going to have to guard someone decent. I did think he did a great job on RJ Davis. He has his moments, but I just think we have better options. But it seems like the coaches let him take tough assignments out of respect for his seniority.

Roach is up-and-down defensively for sure. He might do better off the ball than on. I don't remember the RJ Davis defense that much, but Scheyer had Roach basically face guard Cattoor for the second half of the VT game, and Cattoor was basically taken out of the game with dramatically reduced touches.

Roach is up-and-down defensively for sure. He might do better off the ball than on. I don't remember the RJ Davis defense that much, but Scheyer had Roach basically face guard Cattoor for the second half of the VT game, and Cattoor was basically taken out of the game with dramatically reduced touches.
Davis went 5-16 and all his makes were really tough contested shots.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom