Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2019-20

There’s almost nothing missing from YouTube TV now.

They have a regional sports network missing and it's preventing my dad from pulling the trigger. What makes the situation so depressing is that the regional network he can't do without, is MSG network, home of the New York Knicks. Not kidding.

I think I'll just subscribe to Youtube TV and NBA League Pass for eight months of the year. That's expensive, but it gets me NBA TV, all the ESPN channels, ACCN, and League Pass for around $80 a month or so. Average in the months I'm not subscribing, and it brings me down to $53 a month, which is totally great for getting to watching every single basketball game imaginable.

YouTubeTV is great from what they're offering. By 2020 I would like to have YouTubeTV while rotating subscriptions to HBO Max and Netflix, since I never watch shows from multiple services at once. I think ideally it will play out with us having HBO max for 2-3 months, binge what is interesting, cancel, get Netflix for 2-3 months, cancel, etc. And if nothing of interest is out then just don't bring it back until multiple interesting shows pop up.

HBO Max might be off the charts incredible though. Depending on how good it is may alter my plans, but it's going to be wild.

PlayStation Vue and Hulu also are adding ACCN.

Last edited:
The other thing I like about Youtube TV is its reliability. I've never once had a problem streaming it (whereas WatchESPN and League Pass have given me trouble even with great internet).

And of course the ability to DVR is amazing too.

Player to watch in college hoops next year - Andrew Nembhard from Florida. Playing good ball once again for Canadian national team. Yes, I'm a homer.

tenor.gif

I'm listening to the Game Theory podcast and they are analyzing guys at the Nike Basketball Academy. There was a mix of rising freshmen, returning players, and current pros there. Two things jumped out:

1) They are super high on Cole Anthony. Sam Vecenie said he would average something like 20 and 6 this year. This jibes with my prediction -- that he'll be the best ACC point guard since Kyrie.

2) Udoka Azuibuke is supposedly ripped and was beasting everyone. I expect him to work Carey and Javin. K needs to keep fouling him until Self has to take him out of the game. I have no faith in him to do that. The other option is to make him guard in space.

I'm listening to Game Theory again. They're ranking the top 25 prospects under 23 years old. They had Bagley at #11, and they've convinced me he's going to have a monster year. Averages of 20 and 10 wouldn't surprise me.

Jaren Jackson Jr. was #10. They said he had the best defensive instincts of anyone at his age they've ever seen. That means that Izzo has now coached two of the best defensive players in our lifetime. As much as we criticize K, lol at Izzo. He won a title with neither of these guys, and he played JJJ 20 mpg. WTF.

I'm listening to Game Theory again. They're ranking the top 25 prospects under 23 years old. They had Bagley at #11, and they've convinced me he's going to have a monster year. Averages of 20 and 10 wouldn't surprise me.

Jaren Jackson Jr. was #10. They said he had the best defensive instincts of anyone at his age they've ever seen. That means that Izzo has now coached two of the best defensive players in our lifetime. As much as we criticize K, lol at Izzo. He won a title with neither of these guys, and he played JJJ 20 mpg. WTF.

I mean, I don't criticize K that much. I am still mad at him for the last play against MSU last year, sure. But I sure as Hell would not want Calimari or the scandal-ridden Izzo.

I don't understand the full blown hatred of K's coaching that some people have. Are there better coaches than him at this point? Most likely, he's like what, 73? But I also think he does a really good job delegating to his staff. I think Capel had a lot of input and now Scheyer does, which is good because it's not just him making every decision.

Is he perfect? Never was and never will be, but Duke is still running as an elite program. A lot of the recent massive criticisms of Coach K were early NCAA Tournament flame outs and ball screen defense. In the last two seasons we've made the Elite Eight and have improved to becoming one of the better ball screen defenses in the country. You can chalk all that up to whatever it is you want- the zone defense, recruiting, whatever it is, but just from a results standpoint, Coach K and the staff have continued to adapt and make the necessary changes in order to overcome shortcomings and to fix significant problems.

And for as much as I've been upset with his in-game coaching in the last two Elite Eight's, especially the Kansas game, I still maintain the belief that there aren't many coaches who could make it work with these recruiting classes the way he has. There is a lot more to getting these guys to play together on the court then just x's and o's. Can the elite x's and o's guy coaching somewhere else with a bunch of seniors and juniors manage the stars Duke is getting? Could he continue Duke's unreal recruiting? I doubt it.

I personally like where we are at as a program and am not willing to trade it for anyone else to see our recruiting take a dip, which will put Roy on one big final recruiting run to carry him into the sunset. Fuck that. Coach K has built in advantages at this point that no other coach in the country has. Through Duke's PR tank machine he's become regarded among teenage recruits as the GOAT. It's not forced, this is just casual thinking now. He's coached 3 USA Gold Medals, has 5 National Championships, and in association with Duke, has developed the premier brand in college basketball. That all takes a significant hit when he leaves. I'm not nearly ready to let that go as a fan, especially considering the post-season improvements we've seen the last two seasons. He's not in the Bob Knight territory of being a disaster as he's gotten older, so I'm more than fine with him.

I don't understand the full blown hatred of K's coaching that some people have. Are there better coaches than him at this point? Most likely, he's like what, 73? But I also think he does a really good job delegating to his staff. I think Capel had a lot of input and now Scheyer does, which is good because it's not just him making every decision.

Is he perfect? Never was and never will be, but Duke is still running as an elite program. A lot of the recent massive criticisms of Coach K were early NCAA Tournament flame outs and ball screen defense. In the last two seasons we've made the Elite Eight and have improved to becoming one of the better ball screen defenses in the country. You can chalk all that up to whatever it is you want- the zone defense, recruiting, whatever it is, but just from a results standpoint, Coach K and the staff have continued to adapt and make the necessary changes in order to overcome shortcomings and to fix significant problems.

And for as much as I've been upset with his in-game coaching in the last two Elite Eight's, especially the Kansas game, I still maintain the belief that there aren't many coaches who could make it work with these recruiting classes the way he has. There is a lot more to getting these guys to play together on the court then just x's and o's. Can the elite x's and o's guy coaching somewhere else with a bunch of seniors and juniors manage the stars Duke is getting? Could he continue Duke's unreal recruiting? I doubt it.

I personally like where we are at as a program and am not willing to trade it for anyone else to see our recruiting take a dip, which will put Roy on one big final recruiting run to carry him into the sunset. Fuck that.

Right. Nobody's perfect, and there are no utopias. The dude is a legend and will live forever as such. He is untouchable as the face of modern college basketball. Kentucky fans cannot stand that, especially.

The next coach, whoever it is, will be fortunate to win 1 national title, much less 5. And fat chance he wins 1,000 games, 3 gold medals, builds a brand as powerful and iconic as K has, etc.

And there's always a chance the next coach sucks.

Everybody's a critic, though. It comes with the territory of being the best. There are people who trash Nick Saban for God's sake.

I think the truth on K is somewhere in between the diehard supporters and the skeptics. Recruting is a part of coaching, and he and his staff have been as good at that as anyone this decade. As for coaching, the overall results have generally been as good as anyone.

That said, there are specific strategic elements where he falls short lately. Our offense can be overreliant on iso creation. He also sometimes privileges "talent" over players who make a positive impact. And then there are baffling in-game coaching decisions, like not fouling up three or not fouling Tacko Fall repeatedly. He can be stubborn and old school in his approach.

At least he's shown a willingness to switch up the defense some. That's actually where he's impressed me the most in the last few years. If you'd asked me after the Miami home loss in 2015, I would have predicted we'd never have a top 10 defense again.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom