Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2016-2017

Is Chaminade not playing in the Maui invitational anymore? I haven't paid attention to it since Rotnei Clarke's buzzer beater and then upset of UNC the nest round in 2012.

*Searched the googles and no, Chaminade is not playing in 2018 for the first time. They will alternate years playing 2019, 2021, etc.

Duke has an exhibition game tomorrow, which will serve as yet another unofficial kickoff to the most disappointing season since 1999. I believe it will be streamed on WatchESPN, so people won't have to pay to watch Duke's low quality stream as in previous years.

Here are some thoughts on Duke's first exhibition opponent.

Virginia State - Friday, October 28, 7:00pm ET, ACC Network Extra or WatchESPN

1. Why does Virginia State exist?

Virginia likes to call itself a commonwealth rather than a state. Hence, we have Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). I was surprised to discover that there are essentially two Virginia State Universities. The one Duke is up against in this exhibition game is the historically black university from the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA). The one Duke lost to on "Is this the dagger?" in the first round of an NCAA Tournament is more ethnically diverse and resides in the Atlantic 10. These schools are not to be confused with the University of Virginia, which Duke will play during the ACC schedule and is a historically white university.

2. Why is Duke playing Virginia State?

Duke is continuing its customary practice in recent years of playing the defending CIAA champions. Virginia State won the CIAA last season and had a 14-2 conference record, and the CIAA preseason coaches' poll showed that they are expected to repeat as champions this season.

3. Does Virginia State have any good players?

Virginia State has two seniors, Elijah Moore and Kevin Williams, who were voted onto the preseason all-CIAA team. Moore is a 6-8 200lb forward who averaged 21.0 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40 minutes last season, while shooting 46.1% FG, 36.6% 3PT and 67.4% FT. Williams is a 5-11 170lb guard who averaged 20.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.4 steals per 40 minutes last season, while shooting 45.7% FG, 38.0% 3PT and 80.9% FT.

4. Does Virginia State have any big players?

Unlike most exhibition opponents, Virginia State does actually have some size. Not great size, but some size. They have 5 players who are 6-8 or taller and one of them is listed at 330 pounds. Presumably, at least some of those 5 players will be playable against Duke.

5. What style of basketball does Virginia State play?

This is not worth figuring out.

6. What is the expected margin of victory for Duke?

This is also not worth figuring out, beyond looking at Duke's margins of victory in exhibition games from the past few years. Going back 10 years and 20 exhibition games, Duke has won exhibitions by an average of 43 points. Here is a basic chart for how a Duke fan should feel based on the margin of victory in this game:

Duke wins by 70+ (has occurred 2 times in past 20 exhibitions) = All is well

Duke wins by 40-69 (has occurred 9 times in past 20 exhibitions) = All is probably well, especially considering 2 of the top 10 freshmen in the country are not playing yet

Duke wins by 25-39 (has occurred 4 times in 20 exhibitions) = Serious doubts about whether this team should be the clear favorite to win the national title

Duke wins by 14-24 (has occurred 5 times in past 20 exhibitions) = This team should not be the clear favorite to win the national title, at least not until we see what the injured freshmen can do

Duke wins by 1-13 (has not occurred in past 20 exhibitions) = We must kill ourselves

Duke loses or needs overtime to win (has not occurred in past 20 exhibitions) = We must kill ourselves through painful methods

All in all, should be a fun game.

Maybe Kennard will be our first option. Need to showcase our other guys for the NBA, though.

If Kennard blows up and leaves, we should pretend next season doesn't exist. It'll just be about getting Carter to be the #1 pick in the draft, much like last season was with Ingram.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Maybe Kennard will be our first option. Need to showcase our other guys for the NBA, though.

It'll just be about getting Carter to be the #1 pick in the draft, much like last season was with Ingram.

And the Jabari year. I guess this will be the pattern going forward - a multi-player, superstar recruiting year ending in a championship, followed by a down year with one star and a couple of 4-year glue guys ending in the second round of the NCAA tourney.

I guess it isn't too bad.

It's annoying that our good teams are happening in odd years. Obviously worked out ok in 15, but the field was trash in 14 and 16. Better to have your juggernaut when everyone sucks and be a fake contender when everyone's good.

It's weird we play tonight. I forgot until yesterday.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Duke has an exhibition game tomorrow, which will serve as yet another unofficial kickoff to the most disappointing season since 1999. I believe it will be streamed on WatchESPN, so people won't have to pay to watch Duke's low quality stream as in previous years.

Here are some thoughts on Duke's first exhibition opponent.

Virginia State - Friday, October 28, 7:00pm ET, ACC Network Extra or WatchESPN

1. Why does Virginia State exist?

Virginia likes to call itself a commonwealth rather than a state. Hence, we have Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). I was surprised to discover that there are essentially two Virginia State Universities. The one Duke is up against in this exhibition game is the historically black university from the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA). The one Duke lost to on "Is this the dagger?" in the first round of an NCAA Tournament is more ethnically diverse and resides in the Atlantic 10. These schools are not to be confused with the University of Virginia, which Duke will play during the ACC schedule and is a historically white university.

2. Why is Duke playing Virginia State?

Duke is continuing its customary practice in recent years of playing the defending CIAA champions. Virginia State won the CIAA last season and had a 14-2 conference record, and the CIAA preseason coaches' poll showed that they are expected to repeat as champions this season.

3. Does Virginia State have any good players?

Virginia State has two seniors, Elijah Moore and Kevin Williams, who were voted onto the preseason all-CIAA team. Moore is a 6-8 200lb forward who averaged 21.0 points and 8.7 rebounds per 40 minutes last season, while shooting 46.1% FG, 36.6% 3PT and 67.4% FT. Williams is a 5-11 170lb guard who averaged 20.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.4 steals per 40 minutes last season, while shooting 45.7% FG, 38.0% 3PT and 80.9% FT.

4. Does Virginia State have any big players?

Unlike most exhibition opponents, Virginia State does actually have some size. Not great size, but some size. They have 5 players who are 6-8 or taller and one of them is listed at 330 pounds. Presumably, at least some of those 5 players will be playable against Duke.

5. What style of basketball does Virginia State play?

This is not worth figuring out.

6. What is the expected margin of victory for Duke?

This is also not worth figuring out, beyond looking at Duke's margins of victory in exhibition games from the past few years. Going back 10 years and 20 exhibition games, Duke has won exhibitions by an average of 43 points. Here is a basic chart for how a Duke fan should feel based on the margin of victory in this game:

Duke wins by 70+ (has occurred 2 times in past 20 exhibitions) = All is well

Duke wins by 40-69 (has occurred 9 times in past 20 exhibitions) = All is probably well, especially considering 2 of the top 10 freshmen in the country are not playing yet

Duke wins by 25-39 (has occurred 4 times in 20 exhibitions) = Serious doubts about whether this team should be the clear favorite to win the national title

Duke wins by 14-24 (has occurred 5 times in past 20 exhibitions) = This team should not be the clear favorite to win the national title, at least not until we see what the injured freshmen can do

Duke wins by 1-13 (has not occurred in past 20 exhibitions) = We must kill ourselves

Duke loses or needs overtime to win (has not occurred in past 20 exhibitions) = We must kill ourselves through painful methods

All in all, should be a fun game.

While I will be much happier if we win by 50, I saw an exhibition game in the 2010-11 season where we were up by three points at the half. I think we won by 20.

Tonight:

1. Grayson OK (I hope). His dunk was stupid. You don't have to dunk it as hard as you can every time, especially after you had to go to the locker room earlier.

2. Love Bolden. Never brings the ball down. Appears to be a good rim protector (against short guys anyway). Team needs to figure out how to get the ball off the block though. We may have given up 26 points on the 13 blocks the team had.

3. DeLaurier is super-aggressive and wants to dunk everything. I think he will play.

4. Jeter is the weakest human alive. I can't believe he can even hold up his own body weight.

5. Amile was a PG for 3 consecutive possessions, although the lineup was weird: Amile, Kennard, Jackson, Bolden, Jeter.

6. Lots of silly turnovers.

7. Refs are also in the preseason.

8. GIles was walking around fine.

9. Tatum in a boot without crutches.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Chicago native and Cubs fan, said he almost held his post game press conference in a Cubs shirt, "but I don't want to -- especially since it's tied -- be the goat. I'd rather be called a GOAT in another way not the goat that screwed up the series."

--C.L. Brown
ESPN Staff Writer

Jackson is a good scorer but was a fucking disaster at PG, especially in the first half.

I give up on Duke ever having a decent defensive rebounding team. Played a lot of big lineups tonight, and they still got killed on the boards.

Jackson was very sloppy with the ball. Don't feel confident with him as the primary ball handler. No wonder Amile's been bringing it up.

Did Matt die tonight? Or 3 minutes more than he can handle at his age in an exhibition?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom