Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Derin Saran - that's a weird one. Numbers aren't bad, borderline intriguing, obviously terrible competition. Have to assume he's mainly a GPA guy, especially with Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern as the other headline suitors. But why not take someone from an Ivy/fake Ivy like Duke has been doing, rather than a school the higherups turn their noses up to? Might be actual basketball interest from Duke.

Would be incredible. I'd seen it posted conclusively by people that he was not coming to Duke, but who knows. Maybe Ignite dying has provided a sliver of hope.

Either way, probably says something about our (lack of) Boozer optimism.

I'm more okay with him playing the 3 than Flagg. He's about the same size as Flagg, at least according to 247Sports. But I have much more faith in the 3pt shot. I also like his handle and body control a bit more.

Scheyer landing Dybantsa after seemingly not being in play the last two years would do more to assure me about the future of the program than just about any single on-court result this year. You bring in enough talents like him and it’s a matter of when, not if, one shows out enough to get you to a final four or title. They are the cheat codes that will never ever be available in a portal setting

Yeah the #1 key to me is to keep landing the Tatum/Zion/Paolo/Flagg/Dybantsa level players. I’ve seen enough from the coaching already in two years to feel comfortable that it won’t hold us back from eventually breaking through with those types of talents.

I really do think that 1-2 elite high school guys, 1-2 multiyear guys, and 1-3 portal guys is the way to go. Duke has spent too much energy building a brand as a "high school to NBA pipeline" to just cast it off completely. And I still think there's a value to recruiting the less talented high school guys too. Sure, some of them may transfer, but we still ended up with four years of Roach, three of Proctor, and two of Mitchell and Foster (and possibly more for Foster). Feels like the effort was still justified. Just don't keep bringing in six-man high school classes.

And of course the other reason to keep recruiting the elite high school guys -- besides maintaining the brand and besides giving us NBA players to watch -- is that their ceiling is simply higher than any player who's in college because the NBA didn't want him.

Imo, we aren't going to dominate the portal the same way we've dominated high school recruiting. I just don't think we have the same advantages there. So I believe we should still mine high school for its maximum value. We just need not to be entirely dependent on it for our success. That strategy is clearly outdated.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom