Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I shouldn’t say I’ll never understand why people like those movies. I guess I can see the appeal if you grew up reading the comics these movies are based on.

I like shiny things and loud noises and unrealistic people. So I love superhero movies.

There are perverse incentives all the way down for people to want these movies to succeed tremendously. The movie industry as we know it is dying as entertainment on demand takes over, and critics in particular will have no jobs left soon. Game of Thrones is likely the last TV show that tremendous masses of people will watch at the same time when it airs live. Critics have no audience for bingeable shows, and their voice doesn’t matter for movies anymore.

People aren’t paying to trek to a theater to sit around gross strangers, so they can pay even more to eat bad food and drink no alcoholic drinks, unless the movie is something that needs to be seen and heard on a tremendous screen with tremendous surround sound. All these Disney sensory overload movies that rake in the majority of all movie revenue each year now—these are basically the only movies worth enjoying in a public theater, from a rational, economic perspective. No one is leaving home to watch Moonlight or The Shape of Water, and few people will even use up 2 hours of home time to watch them on streaming services.

Critics need to pump up the Marvel movies, and it really shows how terrible all the DC superhero movies have been when they manage to get tremendously terrible reviews despite it being in every critic’s interest to get people to spend money on those movies. Having the opportunity to write a passionate review for Roma is why they don’t kill themselves. Writing a good review for Endgame buys them a few extra years on their careers. Really, any fan of art should hope these dumb movies continue to succeed as tremendously as they have been, because it subsidizes the truly artistic movies—essentially like the poor religious idiots on the GOP side allowing the intelligent manipulating leaders on the GOP side to continue to exist. You need them, so let them have their fun.

Just saw Endgame and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely my favorite non-Spiderverse Marvel film.

Reactions: TBC
Currently the 2nd greatest movie of all time on IMBD, behind only The Shawshank Redemption. By the time everyone from critics to fans is done reviewing this movie, every site in existence that offers an aggregate take will be invalidated. “This says Endgame was a great movie. Can’t rely on it anymore.”

Dark Knight was #1 for a long time on IMDB too when it came out. It'll drop for sure.

I know. Was just saying when it came out it was #1 by a pretty good margin over SSR but has dropped. I'd assume this will too. Probably stays in the top 5, maybe lower.

You were saying people won't trust movie rating sites because of Endgames rating. I was simply pointing out that it will drop quite a bit. All of the fanboys are voting on it right now.

We are both wasting our time here. Everyone understands it will drop a few spots. Top 10 movie of all time on IMDB is still going to seem ridiculous to people who think superhero movies are trash. There was no point to any of this discussion. The only good result here is for you to post your personal top 10 movies of all time.

Or for you to live up to the reputation to be a dick for no reason. You literally said that sites will lose it's value because it's ranked #2. I basically said, it'll drop though and come down to earth. You took it to another level and I'm not really sure why. Good day, sir.

Top 10:
1-7: fast and furious 1-7
8: scarface
9. Das Leben der anderen
10. Black Panther
I know you're joking but I will never understand why people like Scarface or anything with Pacino. Easily the most overrated actor of all time.

Or for you to live up to the reputation to be a dick for no reason. You literally said that sites will lose it's value because it's ranked #2. I basically said, it'll drop though and come down to earth. You took it to another level and I'm not really sure why. Good day, sir.

You really don't see how worthless your post was? The movie you cited as an example of a movie dropping was The Dark Knight, which started at #1 and dropped to #3, before Endgame pushed it back all the way to #4. The point was that Endgame is ridiculously high up on the all-time greatest movies list. Dropping to #5 or #10 or #20 doesn't change that at all, so I'm wondering out loud why anyone would post something like that.

I'm sometimes/often a dick to you because your posts are often worthless. I will cut back on responding to them if it makes you feel better, though. I usually only respond to them because I'm thinking out loud and wondering how someone could post something so worthless.

Going to watch some terrible bootleg of Captain Marvel this weekend.

The Endgame showings all opening weekend at my closest AMC are entirely sold out in the non-front section of the theater. This is 3 weeks away. I think this will be an event along the same lines as Avatar.
It won't touch Avatar in worldwide box office or The Force Awakens in domestic box office. Could possibly do $750M domestic and $2.3B worldwide. It will almost certainly break the opening weekend record though. Both worldwide and domestic.
JK...Avatar WW is toast.

@CMon - I agree with a lot of that. I will try not to be a dick to you going forward, since you are a good guy just looking for a place to shoot the shit. I would appreciate it if you changed some things about how you post here, to make not being a dick to you a lot easier for everyone. I am mainly just the messenger here, willing to actually talk to you about this. Imagine how little bravado all the other 2-inchers on this board have who aren't willing to say anything to you directly.

The problem some people have with your posts is that they show so little thought so much of the time. Most people here post like 50% shitposts, 20% totally wrong/being an asshole, 20% well thought-out ideas, 10% word vomit/just want to see what my thoughts look like written out. I'm sure some people would prefer fewer shitposts, totally wrong or word vomit posts, and some people might prefer more, but the mix seems bearable to most. Your posts seem to be 95% word vomit/just want to see what my thoughts look like written out, 5% well thought-out ideas. No reason to take this all so seriously, as you said, but when it's so extremely bad from someone, people get annoyed.

There are limits to what people will want to scroll past and ignore, even on a random message board where people are just talking shit about nothing. When post after post after post after post after post by someone makes you think, "why would someone have this thought, let alone share it with the world?" it is really difficult to ignore all of them. That's why the Rosterbation Thread exists--it was initially created solely for you, so people didn't have to scroll past so many bizarrely specific minutes distributions with no reasoning. Someone who is a bigger dick to you than me created that thread, since that's a really dick thing to do.

If we were to create a thread on Banana Stand called "CMon Thoughts" to confine all of your posts to one thread, that would be shitty as well, and I'm also not a big enough dick to do that, despite my massive online bravado. Just please try to post less of the word vomit stuff that has no basis behind any of it. I think all this would involve is thinking to yourself, "does this make any sense, and would another person want to read it?" before pressing the button. I don't think asking someone to have that minimum level of decency is taking things too seriously.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom