Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Food and Alcohol

Actual Ballast Point in SD is pretty awesome, too. Think they are opening a satellite brewery in Roanoke.

aiw said:
The Key Lime gose is great, but had to go to Westbrook to get it. The little they sell outside of the brewery sells out quickly. They had some at Brier Creek Beer Garden in Raleigh this summer, but couldn't even find it in any of the Charleston shops by mid-August.

It was crazy how fast it would go. Some of the bottle shops that had it would only allow you to get 2 cans per tab because of demand. My sister in law is up from Charleston this weekend and I had her go by Westbrook to get me some but since it's seasonal they didn't have any.

Topher said:
rome8180 said:
My go-tos are Two Hearted Ale, Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout, and certain of the Great Lakes beers (especially the Edmund Fitzgerald porter). During the winter, I drink the latter two more often. During the summer, I'll do Two Hearted or a sour ale/gose/etc. The only problem with sour beers is that they are often hard to find and their alcohol content is really low for the price.

Those are 3 of my top 10 favorite beers

<3

Where can I get Left Hand around Raleigh/Durham? That's easily my favorite stout but I haven't seen it in stores around town. I was shocked to find it at Wegman's in PA last year. I didn't think it would get out to the east coast since the brewery is about an hour from where my parents live in Colorado.

I know in Wilmington, Harris Teeter carries it. I would assume they have it in Raleigh/Durham, as well.

It should be pretty common. HT and Sam's at least.

Wegman's is the shit. I am up in PA as you know. Way overpriced, but excellent.

Ah, okay. The closet grocery store to me is a Lowe's, I'll have to check out HT but I don't remember seeing it last time I was there. Sam's has been recommended to me, but so far I've only been to The Glass Jug off of HW 55. Spent way too much on pumpkin flavored beers there in Sept/Oct.

State of Beer down near the Flying Saucer will likely have anything you are looking for.

Bottle Revolution will definitely have it but they only have stores off Lake Boone Trail or in Morrisville

Sam's is not as good now that they remodeled. Not as many beers actually refrigerated. A lot of wasted/empty space too.

rome8180 said:
Sam's is not as good now that they remodeled. Not as many beers actually refrigerated. A lot of wasted/empty space too.

Agreed

Into hour 4 of spare ribs on the BGE. Smells glorious!

Fudge-making for the holiday season has begun for me. The first experiment was Snickers. Layer of chocolate, then a "nougat" layer, and a caramel layer on top. Judging by how quickly it went after I left some in the teacher's lounge at school yesterday and started spreading the word, it was a hit.

Next up: bacon-topped, Irish Cream, and Smores.

rhfarmer said:
Careful with dat Irish Cream in the teacher's lounge...
After hours. ;)

Used leftover turkey to cook up turkey tacos for my kids tonight. If I had bigger shells, I would've considered going for a full-on Thanksgiving burrito. Alas.......

Sometimes I've been known to eat brown sugar with a spoon straight out of the bag.

Canvas Series sours from Wicked Weed are excellent. They're fucking expensive, but excellent.

After writing and playing music, cooking is probably my favorite activity.

Last couple of nights I've made pork chops, wild rice with cremini mushrooms, and chipotle-cinnamon sweet potato fries. Other go-to dishes lately: pasta in an alfredo sauce with sundried tomatoes, bacon, and mushrooms (or sub Italian sausage for the bacon); Creole-style white beans with andouille sausage, carrots, and celery (squash and onion also work well); Thai green curry with sweet potatoes, bamboo shoots, and green beans.

I almost never follow a recipe. I just make up something that sounds good to me. Occasionally I'll use a recipe as a template and then make adjustments. This results in strokes of genius and total disasters.

I make curry all the time, but have never used sweet potatoes in them before. Might have to consider that one.

BTW, rome, in a pinch and for a quick meal, curry over a bag of ramen (drained after cooking, of course) is one of my stand-bys.

I've been getting requests to make fudge available to order. Given what fudgeries tend to charge for small lb.-sized blocks, I have to say I'm tempted, but the time drain is what's holding me back.

Having grown up in fairly traditionally gender-roled family and having married a woman from an even more extreme background, it has taken me the longest time not to be weirded out by men who cook greater than like 10% of a family's meals. I do the grilling, and I make a few simple things like chili in a crock pot. But my wife does almost all of the cooking. My dad cooks some. My wife's dad doesn't know how to cook anything (he can't now because his limbs don't work but that's beside the point).

Anyway, kudos to you guys for getting in the kitchen and figuring shit out. I have a fear of failure when it comes to cooking. I won't cook for company, only my immediate family.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom