Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

I kind of wish we had Girard for the next three years. His numbers are solid this season and he's done a good job handling point guard duties as a freshman (last night, for instance, 7 asst 1 TO).

He's going to be a pain in our ass and there's no reason to think he is not a 4 year guy.

Presumably his defense sucks right now though. Doesn't seem ideal for the zone because he has no length but not sure if he'd be better in M2M. Interesting that Syracuse for the last two years had been a disgusting offensive team and a really good defensive team. Script has now completely flipped. In 2018, #135 offense, #2 defense. In 2019, #59 offense, #30 defense. This year, #16 offense, #148 defense.

Syracuse has really struggled with their recruiting the last few year's and just maintaining a full roster which has really hurt them as a program. Things are looking up for them, IMO. They have a 5 man freshman class currently, which features Girard and four others. One of them, a big center, is not playing this season as he is red-shirting. They have a sophomore point guard who is a broke his thumb, and they have a sophomore forward who is out, and I think are both out for the season.

Syracuse brings back their whole team next season. None of their top 10 players are seniors, and they also bring in two freshman, one is a 4-star 6'5 guard and the other a 3-star 6'8 forward.

I would imagine they're going to be a top 20 team next year for sure and that the defense will improve with guys returning from injury along with the length/athleticism they are bringing in with their freshman class.

They had a lot of players who have left early to either not get drafted or be out of the NBA quickly.

The best cure for this, if you can’t recruit really elite talent and you want to ensure experience, is to start the coach’s son and a 6’0 guard with no athleticism and hope they develop into very good college players. Looks like they will.

Rowe pointing out what's been kinda clear in the videos:

"I've been texting with Henry [Coleman] for a bit now and he just told me his current measurements are 6'8", 240. I just updated his profile from what it used to say: 6'6", 210."

Since he's ripped he should be able to hold up at the 5 if his arms aren't Marshall Plumlee-like. His leaping ability should also help there.

Not sure what to make of him as a freshman. And overall, he feels like one of those players who doesn't really do any one thing great (which is what we said about Javin coming in, if you'll recall). I do like him and Brakefield as glue guy defenders going forward. I see more of a path to playing time for Coleman in the immediate.

Since he's ripped he should be able to hold up at the 5 if his arms aren't Marshall Plumlee-like. His leaping ability should also help there.

I think his arms may in fact be Marshall-Plumlee-like. But I think he's athletic and strong enough that at 6'8" he'll be fine against the 6'8"-6'10" guys most teams have.

7c7444f0-e162-11e9-af9f-0c00972b6552

5c6b44350b195.image.jpg

I know it's the perspective, but I'm laughing my ass off at his arms being as short as his left arm looks in the bottom picture. Even though it would make him a much worse player, I would relish it just for the comic relief.

Hurt is pretty much the opposite of Bolden in every way, if you think about it. Except maybe that both would rather be in art school than playing sports.

Bolden could follow his true passion of abstract fingerpainting and Hurt could follow his true passion of being a trans ballerina.

Honestly, I don't have much hope of a title next year. Might as well root for comic relief. Need to see Hurt play center just for how angry it would make @Pantone287 .

I have no hope for next year, personally. The lack of an inside presence is going to be a problem. This year is fine with Carey and Javin, but next year Mark Williams is a huge step down from Vernon Carey, and there is no one that is actually similar in size to back him up. Losing Carey Jr and Javin downlow and replacing them with just Mark Williams, along with losing Tre Jones, are huge losses.

The only way next season can be a strong team is if Jeremy Roach exceeds expectations, and Mark Williams is capable of playing good defense for 25 minutes per game. If Roach isn't ready, and Mark Williams is lost defensively, next year's team is going be fringe top 20.

Edit: I guess of 2 of the following 3 return: Stanley, Moore, Hurt we would still be really good but I would be stunned if that happens. At best, just 1 one of them stays and it is likely Moore.

Hurt's an idiot if he leaves. Undoubtedly needs another year in college, though he probably doesn't see it that way.

I doubt we contend in 2021 unless K somehow manages to land another elite recruit or pull in a Cam Johnson-esque grad transfer. 2022 seems to be the next "title or bust" year.

I have hope for next year. We're going to be absurdly deep for one thing. While I think the most likely outcome is a team around the level of this one, there's always a chance when you've got that much top-tier talent. Pretty much the only thing we don't have is a backup center. It seems silly to focus excessively on that.

I agree we need Mark Williams to be good. But I'm not sure we need Roach to be. We'll have Johnson, Goldwire, Moore, and Steward all as capable ball handlers as well.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom