Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

In an ideal world, if Scheyer fails, it will be soon enough for K to still have his bearings enough to lean on a Jim Harbaugh-like Messiah to take the job, if only for 3-5 years, in order to right the ship for a longer term solution. The worst case is Scheyer gradually bottoming out over the next 10 years - K’s mind will be gone by then and he won’t be able to help anymore.

Unfortunately, K’s tree hasn’t produced anyone on that level, but we at least have Quin Snyder - given he has won games in the NBA, he’s probably several levels better in-game than a typical college coach. Then there’s the wildcard of Redick, who would probably consider being the savior if a crippled K rolls up to him and tugs on his heart strings about how great Duke once was and can be again, and how much Redick owes to him.

Scheyer's been slow to make adjustments in games. He's already shown a number of times he can make the right adjustments in the course of the season. Other people on here have said it -- we need to make our offense less Flip-centric. Better defensive rebounding would help that, too (more transition). But I think all of this is just 100% normal for a second-year coach, even among the most elite coaches.

Scheyer's been slow to make adjustments in games. He's already shown a number of times he can make the right adjustments in the course of the season. Other people on here have said it -- we need to make our offense less Flip-centric. Better defensive rebounding would help that, too (more transition). But I think all of this is just 100% normal for a second-year coach, even among the most elite coaches.
While he makes adjustments during the course of the season, it’s still too slow. It took like 2-3 more games for him to figure out how to deal with teams sagging off Mark.

Regardless, my only real hope for something better this season is if Proctor, Roach, Mark and McCain can all play well together now. It should be good enough to offset the Flipcentricity.

This was what we went straight to in the halfcourt one possession. Look at this organization and strategy with this personnel. Absolutely fucking hideous.

IMG_4742.jpeg

It resulted in a Flip charge, obviously.

With that personnel, I'd have liked to see a completely different play. Have Flip setting a screen for one of the guards. Flip pops and the guard drives to the rim with Stewart there as a lob threat.

If you do have to run this post-up, at least get Mitchell, Proctor, and Roach spread out a bit more. They're occupying roughly 20% of the three-point arc.

With that personnel, I'd have liked to see a completely different play. Have Flip setting a screen for one of the guards. Flip pops and the guard drives to the rim with Stewart there as a lob threat.

If you do have to run this post-up, at least get Mitchell, Proctor, and Roach spread out a bit more. They're occupying roughly 20% of the three-point arc.
Yeah, I'm not ever a fan of going straight to a Flip mid-post iso while everyone else just stands around, but it's just not viable with this lineup. And if we're going to insist on it, you have to at least put Mark in the far corner, where at least he's a threat to shoot and the closer wing defender can't cheat down as far. That was obvious of a predestined TO as I can recall.

I know this horse has been beaten by us, but I wish we'd treat Flip more as just a center who's extra good at certain things, rather than the whole "queen on the chess board" role Jon tries to make happen.

There's no reason he shouldn't simply be a huge boost to us on offense, as a guy who can screen and either pop or create/finish super well off the short roll, float and space the floor at 40%, and score in the deep post if we run a cross screen or something to get him the ball close to the rim.

It's all the other crap, where he gets the ball in a position where a Paolo/Tatum/Zion would and tries to create offense from nothing like them, that is both inefficient and tanks the rest of our offense's flow. It's also unnecessary, given that we finally actually have guards that don't suck.

Yeah, I'm not ever a fan of going straight to a Flip mid-post iso while everyone else just stands around, but it's just not viable with this lineup. And if we're going to insist on it, you have to at least put Mark in the far corner, where at least he's a threat to shoot and the closer wing defender can't cheat down as far. That was obvious of a predestined TO as I can recall.

I know this horse has been beaten by us, but I wish we'd treat Flip more as just a center who's extra good at certain things, rather than the whole "queen on the chess board" role Jon tries to make happen.

There's no reason he shouldn't simply be a huge boost to us on offense, as a guy who can screen and either pop or create/finish super well off the short roll, float and space the floor at 40%, and score in the deep post if we run a cross screen or something to get him the ball close to the rim.

It's all the other crap, where he gets the ball in a position where a Paolo/Tatum/Zion would and tries to create offense from nothing like them, that is both inefficient and tanks the rest of our offense's flow. It's also unnecessary, given that we finally actually have guards that don't suck.
I didn't like it when Paolo or Tatum did it either. With Zion, it was fine because I knew it was worth like 1.5 ppp. Also, he was going to somehow glide between four defenders and finish at an impossible angle.

I’m sure Scheyer would answer with some shit about utilizing the team’s strengths and matching his scheme to personnel.

Which probably seems like a great idea most days when watching Flip resemble prime Dirk while going against Ryan Young.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom