Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Even the two-bigs plus Singler 2010 team was outside the top 150 in OReb% per Torvik. K just DGAF about defensive rebounding compared to pressuring the ball and contesting shots.

There are coaches who make entire careers out of having their teams grab a ton of defensive rebounds and never turn the ball over.

Even the two-bigs plus Singler 2010 team was outside the top 150 in OReb% per Torvik. K just DGAF about defensive rebounding compared to pressuring the ball and contesting shots.
Can someone explain to me the difference between defensive rebounding percentage and "offensive rebounding percentage allowed by the defense"?

The latter seems to be what Torvik and Kenpom track. I'm just not sure how they're any different. But the numbers do end up looking slightly different than other sites that have defensive rebounding percentage stats. Is the difference simply that occasionally neither team grabs the rebound? Like, if the ball goes out of bounds that's neither a defensive rebound grabbed nor an offensive rebound allowed.

If I'm reading it correctly, Torvik has us as the 20th lowest OReb % allowed on defense. Kenpom has us at 19th. So it seems like they're measuring the same thing. Team Rankings has us at 27th for defensive rebounding percentage. A small discrepancy which I suppose could be accounted for by what I described.

One interesting thing is that defensive rebounding seems to have increased in the last 14 years. The top defensive rebounding percentage was 76.1% back in 2010. The top defensive rebounding percentage last year was 81.3%. The 76.1% mark would have come in at 70th overall.

Just another sign of how K's strategies had become outdated. He was probably right not to care as much back in the day.

Last edited:
I would like to think the increase in DReb is due to less value placed on OReb in the NBA and more value on transition defense, which filtered down to college. That would mean college coaches are sentient.
Offensive rebounding seems to be making a comeback in the NBA. I think NBA strategies do affect college, but CBB is just 5+ years behind.

It's weird because after the exhibition game we kind of thought Dreb would be a massive weakness.

Our DReb % is a major driver of our defense being solid to date because our 2pt and 3pt % against are pretty poor right now. Hopefully the 3pt % against just improves as part of standard regression. But I think we're just not gonna be good at 2pt % against.

Yeah, D-Live moving on hurts the 2 pt %. Unfortunately Reeves or Stew could not step up with some rim protection

It's weird because after the exhibition game we kind of thought Dreb would be a massive weakness.

Our DReb % is a major driver of our defense being solid to date because our 2pt and 3pt % against are pretty poor right now. Hopefully the 3pt % against just improves as part of standard regression. But I think we're just not gonna be good at 2pt % against.
Not turning it over is probably helping too. I imagine our transition defense is pretty good. Or at the very least we're not playing a lot of it because we're not allowing runouts off of steals. We're #1 in lowest steal percentage allowed.

The fucking love affair with Flip left block postups and Ryan Young being out on the court against good guards has to fucking stop.

Look, we were always going to lose this game. When Paolo, Zion, Ingram, and Tatum all lose in a single night, AND you're down two starters, you have no chance. BUT, I fucking hate the two-big bullshit. Heck, I hate the one-big bullshit. It's just bad retrograde offense.

I went back and watched last 10 min. Their entire offense was predicated on attacking Young defensively. Capel even allowed the hottest shooter on the planet to just stand in the corner and do nothing. That’s how confident he was with his strategy. At one point he was visibly upset when they ran a play that did not involve putting Young on an island.
Scheyer finally wised up around the 2 min mark but the damage was done.

Truly dismal coaching tonight.

If Duke can’t come up with 10% of this amount to get Roach and another 1-2 non-1st round guys back, what are we even doing here? It may not be worth it to sink anything into basketball from a financial perspective, but it’s safe to assume the school draws a deeper (and more diverse) applicant pool due to prominence in at least one of the two sports, and all it takes to keep this up is roughly 10% of what elite football schools are spending.

Jon is still learning, He would’ve benefited from taking a lower level job and coming back. The coach in waiting thing is cool but i think he is still transitioning. Think of it like when he was a player at Duke, Took him a couple years to get it right.

The lack of defensive adjustment in the 2nd half by Scheyer was really disgusting.

Just drive after drive after drive 2014-2017 level excepting the tournament in 2015.

Didn't we go to a 2-3 zone some in the last five minutes? I swear I saw that for a few possessions. That seemed to work okay, too.

My ultimate thoughts on Jon/the state of the program as it stands currently:

-We definitely erred in not picking up Shedrick or another rim protector in the portal. Flip/Young are prone to getting bullied inside.
-Proctor, Mark, and Roach all missing time with injuries has been rough. I’d like to see another timeline where they don’t go down and the team gets to develop together more.
-The Flip-centric offense sucks and I would hope Jon pivots away from that. It felt like he was earlier in the year, but it’s returned with a vengeance lately.
-This team doesn’t have a transcendent Tatum/Zion/Paolo-level OAD on it. We’ll have one again next year with Flagg.
-I really like our backcourt in general. The 3 point shooting is the best it’s been in years.
-CBB is weird right now. Arizona just lost to KP #170 on the road. Bill Self was felled by KP #140. Other top programs have taken worse losses than we have this year.
-Jon is still only in his second year and learning on the job. He has plenty of room to grow as an in game coach, and I hope he does over the next few years.
-We really need to make the second weekend by 2025, or more questions and concerns will rightfully arise.
-I have zero confidence we’ll get anyone better or sustain the recruiting machine if we do move on from Jon. We all need to root for his success, or we run the very real risk of entering the wilderness.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom