Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I'm watching now. Right before the second half, they showed a clip of Scheyer laying into the refs. He legitimately has the largest mouth I've ever seen. I have no idea how his pitch is, but if he can carry a tune he'd be a great singer. Huge resonance chamber. These are the kind of things that run through my head as I struggle to be entertained by the CBB product these days.

We've been hard on Scheyer because the talent level is so high and because the standard that's been set is really high too. But barring a collapse, it looks like we'll cross the 25-win mark again this season. How many college coaches can say they did that in the first two seasons?

Coach K didn't.
Roy Williams didn't.
Jay Wright didn't.
Tom Izzo didn't.
Bill Self didn't.
Danny Hurley didn't.
Rick Pitino didn't.

I won't compare him to coaches of earlier eras because they played so few games in comparison. But none of them did either. The only coach I could find who got off to that kind of start was Mark Few.

I get that Jon has some built-in advantages. Trying to win 25 games after inheriting a Duke program with the best branding in CBB is different than trying to win 25 games at Hofstra. But even if we look at what those coaches did when they got their first major job, it's generally not as good (with the exception of Self).

One thing I'm glad about is that we're at least starting to see more stuff like this, with Flip being floaty and Mark being the rim threat. Jon clearly does read the board and eventually do what we say, it just takes an annoyingly long time.

Also, loved how halftime kicked off yesterday with a JWill rant about how Flip was spending too much time on the perimeter and needed to take more 2PT shots. Nailing it as usual.

We've been hard on Scheyer because the talent level is so high and because the standard that's been set is really high too. But barring a collapse, it looks like we'll cross the 25-win mark again this season. How many college coaches can say they did that in the first two seasons?

Coach K didn't.
Roy Williams didn't.
Jay Wright didn't.
Tom Izzo didn't.
Bill Self didn't.
Danny Hurley didn't.
Rick Pitino didn't.
Add the current coach of the 10th-seed Atlanta Hawks to the list as a guy who never hit 25 wins in 6 years of college coaching.

Amaker never hit 25 wins in his 10 years at Seton Hall/Michigan, either. Collins has not done it in his 10 years. Capel's done it once in 15 years.

I think Scheyer is a good coach, with the potentials to develop into a great coach, but isn't there yet.
And there is no guarantee that he will ever be great, beca use sometime the potential doesn't quite pan out. Hopefully he develops. Unfortunately I don't think he's good enough to win a title next year, unless Flagg is just one of those transcendent talents and stays healthy the whole year.

One thing I'm glad about is that we're at least starting to see more stuff like this, with Flip being floaty and Mark being the rim threat. Jon clearly does read the board and eventually do what we say, it just takes an annoyingly long time.

Also, loved how halftime kicked off yesterday with a JWill rant about how Flip was spending too much time on the perimeter and needed to take more 2PT shots. Nailing it as usual.

Flip is so much better when he's not hunting his shot and just plays with what the defense gives him. He's a really good passer but he has these stretches where he gets tunnel vision and it becomes obvious that he's 100% shooting, no matter what. He becomes more effective when he's a willing passer because it opens things up for himself later in the game. When other guys are scoring, the defense can't collapse on him and leave him in one-on-one situations. He's usually pretty good in that scenario. It's when he's forcing up the shots in double teams or spinning into the lane into three guys that becomes a problem.

I am hopeful that we'll see more and more of Flip being the playmaker and not necessarily the definitive #1 guy to always shoot. I don't care where he's playing on the floor - perimeter or post as long as he's not forcing things. When Duke has been successful on offense this season, it's been because the ball is moving. They're so much easier to defend when they're only playing through one guy on offense instead of using the team's collective perimeter strengths to set up easy baskets.

Unfortunately my mind has become so devastated that I only judge coaches based on comparing final Kenpom ranking to preseason Kenpom ranking.

Can someone take a look at Scheyer vs. interesting comps through that lens? He’s probably doing fine this season; I think Duke wasn’t very highly regarded by Kenpom in the preseason relative to human polls.

Probably the worst thing Scheyer has done, among his many, many boners. Sacrifice the walk-ons to potential injuries, not your starters, man.

Pissed I missed it. What was it called? I want to search YTTV to see if there's another showing I can DVR.

K vs Dean/Roy was definitely special and we probably won’t see anything like either again. Jon and Hubert would both have to win multiple titles to reach those levels.

Peaking in March two out of two years so far, with a demonstrated ability to put a top ten offense and defense on the floor. No can’t miss player as of yet. This hire can only be credibly described as a home run, by even the most cautious. We have our coach until long past the breakup of the ACC and possibly the dissolution of the NCAA as we know it.

Amaker’s Harvard is 5-8 this year as a comparison.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom