Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2013 McDonald's All American game, 9:30pm EST

I'm actually pretty fucking pumped after watching that. He looked really quick and active on defense and the boards, which are pretty much the important unknowns about him that matter for our purposes. He was also really physical and aggressive. Loved how he guarded Wiggins all game and made a point to go at him on both ends; Wiggins might have had a better statline, but Jabari looked like the better, more developed player to me.

His shot was off and he didn't look that good on offense, but I'm not really expecting him to create his own shot from the perimeter much for us anyway with who we'll have 1-3. I'd like to see him focus on using his strength and quickness to score around the rim and shooting threes, as I'm not crazy about the Paul Pierce midrange pullups. He can get one off any time, but I don't think that will be a "good shot" for 2014 Duke.

Also, poor Matt Jones.

I liked Hollis-Jefferson a lot. Arizona should be really good next year, especially on defense.

Kennedy Meeks didn't even look like an athlete, not to mention an all-american basketball player.

Barber might be one of the best PGs in the country if all he was allowed to do is dribble and pass. Absurdly quick and stupid.

I feel like Jabari had the most "versatile" stat line by far tonight. He could bring back the triple double or whatever the 62 possessions a game equivalent is.

Kennedy Meeks goes after Marshall Plumlee in the smack down video, also talks about loving Duke growing up

JP seems pretty resigned to having to play the 5 at Duke.

JP seems pretty resigned to having to play the 5 at Duke.

Looks like his defensive effort will be as high as possible, and with his work ethic will come elite man to man and help defense by the end of the season.

ScoopShady posted some thoughts about the game on TDD. Thought they were worth sharing over here. His assessments about last year's players turned out to be pretty spot on:

I was at the game last night ... sat right behind the West bench ... just some general thoughts: (and yes, it's an All-Star game ... but you can sort of just "tell stuff" sometimes by watching these guys):

1) The Harrison twins are better than I thought ... they are good passers, have good vision, and seemed to be better shooters than I imagined ... And mainly, they are BIG guards. 6'5" and 6'6" ... thinking about Quinn having to guard one of them is more than a little concerning. I like the fact that Quinn is a Junior vs. a Freshman ... but physically it's a big concern.

2) Julius Randle might not be Chris Webber ... but he's going to be a rebounding and scoring around the basket monster. Big body, QUICK first-step ... and just a knack for scoring the ball. Did you see the reverse alley-oop? Yikes.

3) Wiggins -- It seemed like he was "taking it easier" last night ... but his first-step is wildly explosive. You could really tell that he and Jabari were going at it....but honestly in an all-star game like this ... with a spread floor, Jabari can't check him one-on-one (and really no one could). Obviously that was obvious by the fact that Jabari nearly fouled out....lol. He has just a TON OF BOUNCE, and one play in particular...he had the ball under the basket, just leapt up, and almost one-handed a monster dunk...he missed the dunk, but you could tell how explosive he was for a "guard". I certainly decided after the game...there's only one good solution for Duke....FSU or Kansas. He makes Kentucky damn near unbeatable...and he gives UNC an incredible weapon.

4) My favorite player of the night (and not just because of his dunking ability) was Gordon. Good handle...good passer...and a really high-level athlete. You pair him with Tarc next year at Arizona, and we really should be discussing those guys with the top 3-4 teams in the country. He had a certain "it" factor that alot of the other guys were missing. Loved his game.

5) Jabari -- Whoever said it before ... he has the most complete set of skills in this game for sure, but you could also tell that an All-Star game isn't exactly where he's going to shine. He's going to fill the stat sheet, but it's not going to be in the same way Wiggins and others will. I think they'll be alot of games at Duke where you'll look up and he'll have 18 pts, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks...and say ... "wow, I didn't realize he had that good of a game" ... I mean don't get me wrong, you're going to notice him, and he'll make some spectacular plays ... but he's gonna be more of a "grinding presence" than a highlight-reel guy for Duke ... if that makes sense. One thing that was clear to me ... he's INCREDIBLY versatile ... and "in a system" ... is going to be a great player for us.

6) James Young -- Easily the most "aloof" guy I saw yesterday. He didn't look like he wanted to be there...(obviously I'm sure he did) ... but I doubt he enjoyed coming off the bench, and I couldn't help but wonder ... if Wiggins does go there ... how does Young handle that? I simply can't see him starting ... and don't get me wrong ... when he did "ramp it up" ... he looked like a good scorer, and a great first-step ... but the 3-spot at UK is wildly loaded....who sits?

More quick/random thoughts:

a) Dakari Johnson a little more skilled than I thought. While we struggle to find a 5-man...UK has WCS and Johnson next year....and Johnson has a HUGE body....gonna be difficult

b) Cat Barber is lightning-quick ... it'll be fun to watch him at State ... (and probably a day 1 starter)

c) We REALLY don't want Wiggins at UK ... if they go:

Harrison
Harrison
Wiggins
Randle
WCS

....they are in fact #1 in my opinion ... I know they have to "gel"....etc. etc...but it's just so much talent....and guys that can do a little bit of everything. I do think they're short on shooting-depth...(similar to the Wall/Cousins team) ... but from my perspective they will start, and could very well finish the year #1 ... they'll just be wildly deep, and very formidable...HOWEVER ... if they miss on Wiggins ... and go:

Harrison
Harrison
Poythress
Randle
WCS

....I think it takes them down a peg or two ... but still probably #2 or #3 ... with Wiggins ... it's just .... just too much ... it'll be interesting to see how he'll handle all of it....one more thought on UK ... from a sheer size perspective, and "NBA-looking" body talent ... those UK practices will be just insane.

d) Final thought ... Kennedy Meeks ... yikes ... just yikes.

Just a few thoughts I had after watching the game yesterday...

I think Telep tweeted that James Young was slightly injured and didn't look like himself throughout practice and the game.

UK is going to start the season #1 with or without Wiggins. I think they're very beatable though. Lack of ball handlers and shooters is a serious concern in tournament settings. Teams like VCU, Syracuse, Duke, and Lville will be bad matchups for them. However, if Cal gets this team to buy in they'll arguably be the best defensive/tranistion team in the country.

marleyboy4945 said:
UK is going to start the season #1 with or without Wiggins. I think they're very beatable though. Lack of ball handlers and shooters is a serious concern in tournament settings. Teams like VCU, Syracuse, Duke, and Lville will be bad matchups for them. However, if Cal gets this team to buy in they'll arguably be the best defensive/tranistion team in the country.
I'm not sure that this will apply to UK 2013.

The Harrison brothers can both handle the ball. Randle can handle the ball. UK might be turnover prone because of chemistry issues or because UK might play too fast but I don't think UK will have trouble because of a lack of ball handlers.

Also, Aaron Harrison and James Young can shoot. So can Randle.

Randle seems to think his handle (sorry for the rhyme) is better than it is.

rome8180 said:
Randle seems to think his handle (sorry for the rhyme) is better than it is.
Agree. But it's still good enough that he can create for himself.

But yeah, he just seems like an undisciplined player that relies too much on his physical gifts.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom