Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2014 ACC games

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
Couldn't be K, since he prob just looks at PPG rather than advanced stats.
No, Coach K probably looks at less stats than even that. He's all eye test.

ZackM said:
physicsfactor said:
Not lying, I had never heard of London Perrantes until I read his name just now on this thread. I had to look him up to see if he even played vs Duke.

@#23 DUKE
L 69-65 26 1-2 .500 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 2 3 0 0 2 1 2

He played 26 minutes but did nothing else. No wonder I don't remember him.

I'm going to assume the person that voted for him meant to vote for Jabari, but accidentally clicked the wrong check-box on the digital ballot.

This shit is rigged, Florida 2000 style.

I think both firings are misguided. BC clearly under performed, but they aren't going to get some plucky up and coming mid major to take the job because the plucky mid major jobs are better.

VPI, I don't get it. They were going to suck no matter who coached. They played hard and finished last. People expected them to finish last right?

rhfarmer said:
I think both firings are misguided. BC clearly under performed, but they aren't going to get some plucky up and coming mid major to take the job because the plucky mid major jobs are better.

VPI, I don't get it. They were going to suck no matter who coached. They played hard and finished last. People expected them to finish last right?

That's the same type of stuff people used to say about Duke football. "Why fire roof after going 1-11? Nobody can win there, it's pointless to try." fans, alums, etc should expect better.

From the perspective of production, I thought both schools made poor decisions to fire greenburg and skinner, as just making the tournament is a pretty big accomplishment at either school. Both guys were apparently big jerks, though, and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Both schools can do a lot better than they are now, though. Johnson had a ton of experience at vt, so the transition wasn't supposed to be as painful as it would be for most new coaches. His recruiting sucked, though. Donahue did a decent job identifying talent, but 8 wins in your 4th year is completely unacceptable, regardless of how tough your non-conference schedule was.

both schools should at least be in constant contention for the NIT. outside of donahue's first season, neither was close.

I do not think the VT coach was given much time to right the ship, so I would tend to agree with farmer on this.

For BC, Donahue seemed to have more talent to work with...they really sucked this year

the boogeyman said:
rhfarmer said:

That's the same type of stuff people used to say about Duke football. "Why fire roof after going 1-11? Nobody can win there, it's pointless to try." fans, alums, etc should expect better.

From the perspective of production, I thought both schools made poor decisions to fire greenburg and skinner, as just making the tournament is a pretty big accomplishment at either school. Both guys were apparently big jerks, though, and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Both schools can do a lot better than they are now, though. Johnson had a ton of experience at vt, so the transition wasn't supposed to be as painful as it would be for most new coaches. His recruiting sucked, though. Donahue did a decent job identifying talent, but 8 wins in your 4th year is completely unacceptable, regardless of how tough your non-conference schedule was.

both schools should at least be in constant contention for the NIT. outside of donahue's first season, neither was close.

I think you have taken my statement too far, boogey. I wasn't saying people should settle for terrible teams year after year, but Johnson got shafted. Greenberg's recruits bolted and he was going to be in a very deep hole in a basketball backwater. For close to a decade, the best program in Va has been VCU, but Bennett has finally righted the ship at UVa. Tech is, IMO, 5 years away from just being competitive if they hit a home run with their hire, and I just don't see the hires out there.

BC is more understandable, they should have been much, much better this year. But still, teams need consistency in order to have success. There is no quick fix for BC or VPI to magically get competitive.

These wise AD's recognize that the ACC is there for the taking right now. Its last three champs were FSU/Miami/UVA with a grand total of 0 future NBA stars. If those schools can win, why can't anyone? You've got K and Boeheim entering the Bowden/Paterno phase, and Roy doing just enough to keep his job every year. Louisville will be the favorite to win the next 7-8 titles, but even Pitino is showing his age. Until we get our Jimbo Fisher, and Syracuse gets its James Franklin, and UNC gets its Shaka Smart, these schools would be foolish not to find their Ralph Friedgen or Jim Grobe.

Louisville is coming into the ACC without Charlie Strong in football and with a bad basketball team.

Louisville loses 4 of its top 5 players. This is my projected lineup for them next season, but keep in mind I don't even know who these players are:

PG Quentin Snider (fr) - #7 freshman PG
SG Chris Jones (sr) - could be very good, but role is going to be so different
SF Wayne Blackshear (sr) - good glue guy
PF Jaylen Johnson (fr) - only freshman who seems to fit the position, #14 freshman PF
C Mangok Mathiang (so) - there couldn't possibly be a more typical non-Duke high major center than Mangok Mathiang; blocks shots like crazy but not a great rebounder; of course very little offense

G Terry Rozier (so) - very good freshman tempo free stats
F Shaqquan Aaron (fr) - #11 freshman SF
C Chinanu Onuaku (fr) - #9 freshman C
C Matz Stockman (fr) - 3 star, 7-2
C Anas Mahmoud (fr) - not ranked, 7-0

It's clear that Pitino understands the value of stockpiling non-one and done centers, something K never quite grasped despite the consequences staring him in the face for the past few seasons, and the benefits of having experienced bigs staring him in the face in 2010 and 2013.

My optimistic projections for how the top of the ACC plays out on Kenpom next season:

1. Duke (currently #12 Kenpom)
Rotation players lost: PF Jabari Parker (undecided), SF Rodney Hood, PG Tyler Thornton
Rotation players gained: C Jahlil Okafor (#1 C), PG Tyus Jones (#2 PG), SF Justise Winslow (#4 SF)
Starters: PG Tyus Jones, SG Rasheed Sulaimon, SF Justise Winslow, PF Amile Jefferson, C Jahlil Okafor
Bench 6-8: G Quinn Cook, F Semi Ojeleye, C Marshall Plumlee
I realize listing Semi Ojeleye in the top 8 destroys my credibility as a person with thoughts, but hopefully his small sample numbers translate, he wins the strength and conditioning title again, he dunks on everyone in practice and he forces his way into that backup wing spot. Plugging in guards at SF instead of a perfectly good SF option who works hard and plays well when he gets chances seems idiotic, but we've seen this play out before.

2. Virginia (currently #4 Kenpom)
Rotation players lost: SF Joe Harris, PF Akil Mitchell
Rotation players gained: BJ Stith (#16 SF)
Starters: PG London Perrantes, SG Malcolm Brogdon, SF Justin Anderson, PF Anthony Gill, C Mike Tobey
Bench 6-8: G BJ Stith, F Darion Atkins, F Evan Nolte
Big losses for a program like Virginia, who can't replace seniors easily. However, they were a top 5 team, their coach is great and they're returning 7 of their top 9 players.

3. North Carolina (currently #27 Kenpom)
Rotation players lost: SG Leslie McDonald
Rotation players gained: PG Joel Berry (#3 PG), SF Justin Jackson (#3 SF)
Starters: PG Joel Berry, SG Marcus Paige, SF JP Tokoto, PF James McAdoo, C Kennedy Meeks
Bench 6-8: G Nate Britt, F Justin Jackson, F Brice Johnson
After a season of being dominated by Duke head to head and in NCAA Tournament performance, they're back! The thing to keep in mind here is that they were #27 Kenpom and UNC fans were still quite pleased with the end result. They could go the way of NC State 2013 (coming off an Elite Eight run but with poor Kenpom numbers), but I think UNC's talent is better. I expect James McAdoo to make at least a small senior leap, but the fact remains that their coach allows a guy who takes and misses a ton of midrange jumpers to dominate everything while a much better player (Brice Johnson) gets fewer minutes, and they lack 3pt shooting and spacing. If the minutes were to be distributed properly, the starters should probably be Berry, Paige, Jackson, Johnson, Meeks.

4. Louisville (currently #3 Kenpom)
Rotation players lost: PG Russ Smith, C Montrezl Harrell (undecided), SF Luke Hancock, PF Stephan Van Treese
Rotation players gained: PG Quentin Snider (#7 PG), C Chinanu Onuaku (#9 C), Shaqquan Aaron (#11 SF), Jaylen Johnson (#14 PF)
Starters: PG Quentin Snider, SG Chris Jones, SF Wayne Blackshear, PF Jaylen Johnson, C Mangok Mathiang
Bench 6-8: G Terry Rozier, F Shaqquan Aaron, C Chinanu Onuaku
Rebuilding year, but they should be fine. They have more than enough talent for a great coach to work with and the roster looks nicely balanced.

5. Syracuse (currently #15 Kenpom)
Rotation players lost: PG Tyler Ennis, PF Jerami Grant (undecided), SF CJ Fair
Rotation players gained: PF Chris McCullough (#3 PF), PG Kaleb Joseph (#16 PG), C DaJuan Coleman (injured)
Starters: PG Kaleb Joseph, SG Trevor Cooney, SF Michael Gbinije, PF Chris McCullough, C Rakeem Christmas
Bench 6-8: C Baye Keita, C DaJuan Coleman
I think Boeheim is going to need a 5th year transfer or two. Maybe I'm missing somebody, but it looks like this team has zero backups at guard and forward. They could bring Michael Gbinije off the bench as a sub at PG/SG/SF, but that would leave a hole at SF (Chris McCullough is actually center-sized and can't play SF). Their other options played very little last season, but maybe Ron Patterson and/or BJ Johnson can be adequate bodies. I'm not sure what Syracuse would do next season had Gbinije not transferred there. On the bright side for them, they are huge.

The rest of the conference doesn't appeal to me at all.

An RSCI top-12 sophomore not even in UNC's rotation. I don't think there's 2 teams better than that.

Doubt Pinson plays more than the token minutes Roy doles out to keep guys from transferring. Hicks won't crack the top 8 with Roy favoring McAdoo and Tokoto.

Key Non-Duke ACC NBA Decisions

BC- Olivier Hanlan
Clemson- KJ McDaniels (probably the difference between an approx NCAA 6 seed and the NIT, I think)
L'Ville- Montezl Harrell
NC State- TJ Warren (GONE)
Syracuse- Tyler Ennis (GONE), Jerami Grant
UNC- James McAdoo
Notre Dame- Jerian Grant (not really an NBA decision, but whether he is back next season from his suspension is "key")

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom